Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrCarbohydate
    • By MrCarbohydate 10th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MrCarbohydate
    Problem with a Roofer
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    Problem with a Roofer 10th Jul 18 at 8:48 PM
    I got some work done to my roof five days ago - replacing a few slates and replacing of 4/5 hip tiles. The price seemed a little high but I was glad the job was getting done. I thought the guy was okay at first but as the close of the job came into view I got suspicious if maybe he was ripping me off. When he asked me to move the removed tiles from the side of the house where they had been left to be disposed of I was pretty sure I was now correct. Anyway.. I spent the next few days telling myself I wasn;t to know and I had done all I could to source a person and check this and that.

This evening a large slate fell off of my roof which was next to one of the replaced hip tiles. I called the guy up and was annoyed but not rude. I was told that, "tiles can fall off at anytime" which sounded like he had said it many times before. He agreed to come and put it back up/replace it for free making out as if he was doing me a favour. No wind, no rain and no extreme heat.

I still owe him 30 for the job he did five days ago and he pretty much said he wouldn't put the tile back up until he had that money.

Not really sure how to approach this as I can see he's well rehearsed at his trade - bs. I am also pretty sick at the moment and I know getting into it is going to exacerbate things as it did huegly when I was on the phone to him for 3/4 minutes.

I am guess he has a duty to make sure the slates are secure and I need to pay the amount that was agreed - which did increase.
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 11,231 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    Is there a question in there?
    • MrCarbohydate
    • By MrCarbohydate 11th Jul 18, 6:37 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MrCarbohydate
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:37 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:37 AM
    Sorry, sent it just before bed.. The question is, or was, what can I do other than pay him and have him put the slate back up and contact trading standards if more fall off. What can I do if I suspect he's done a half arsed job and charged me too much too?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Jul 18, 7:29 AM
    • 32,115 Posts
    • 20,203 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:29 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:29 AM
    Sorry, sent it just before bed.. The question is, or was, what can I do other than pay him and have him put the slate back up and contact trading standards if more fall off. What can I do if I suspect he's done a half arsed job and charged me too much too?
    Originally posted by MrCarbohydate
    How many quotes did you get ?

Re half arsed job, you get another roofer or 2 to check the work, say you want a quote to put it right or similar. You then mention you have a quote to fix A B and C due to his shoddy work and can he correct it. You could pay him the money and hope he does what he agreed.

If it was too much, well who knows but thats why you get more than 1 quote.

Possibly other ways of dealing with it.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 11-07-2018 at 7:32 AM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Jul 18, 8:32 AM
    • 11,231 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:32 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:32 AM
    Exactly how much was the job, you mention owing him 30, surely that wasn't what he charged you?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Jul 18, 8:42 AM
    • 16,736 Posts
    • 42,224 Thanks
    elsien
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:42 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:42 AM
    Why would asking you to move some removed tiles mean you were being ripped off?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 11th Jul 18, 11:52 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:52 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:52 AM
    None of that makes any sense to me!
    • NCC-1701
    • By NCC-1701 11th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    NCC-1701
    • 11th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    Your roof has already shown signs of needing maintenance so it's not surprising that further problems would arise. You paid the roofer to replace a few tiles not check over the whole roof.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

5,586Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin