Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tomhudson21
    • By tomhudson21 10th Jul 18, 7:11 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 4Thanks
    tomhudson21
    Speeding ticket notice periods
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:11 PM
    Speeding ticket notice periods 10th Jul 18 at 7:11 PM
    Hi all,

I received a speeding ticket for driving 34 in a 30 zone. I am not debating whether or not I was over the limit, however I have two questions as I would rather avoid the fine and points if possible.

1 - I received the first letter informing me my car was recorded as being over the limited 31 days after the offence. I have seen a few references to this letter needing to be sent to the registered owner of the vehicle within 28 days of the offence. Does anyone have any reference or proof this is the case? I have tried to track this down in the various Acts and legislation but it's a minefield and I'm lost.

2 - The fact I was going 34 mph is the other issue. I have read that the limit is actually 10% plus 2 mph, meaning you are able to get away with up to 35 mph. I have also read that it's just 10%, meaning my 34 might be over the limit. Does anyone have confirmation of which of these apply?

If either of these are the case, is it likely I could avoid the fine/points by requesting a court hearing? Given the minority of the speed, is it likely I would actually have to attend a court hearing or could this be resolved fairly easily? I don't live near where the offence occurred so I really don't fancy a long trip to attend court if I don't have to.

Thanks all,
Page 2
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 11th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    How does Microsoft Word prevent that?
    It does not, as far as I know.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 11th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 3,311 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Car 54
    How does Microsoft Word prevent that?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    It doesn't.
    The system which does is PentiP, which I believe is now used by all forces in E & W.

https://www.northgateps.com/software-solutions/policing-software/penalty-notice-software/
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Jul 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    It doesn't.
    The system which does is PentiP, which I believe is now used by all forces in E & W.

https://www.northgateps.com/software-solutions/policing-software/penalty-notice-software/
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Northgate
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 11th Jul 18, 9:46 PM
    • 3,311 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Car 54
    Northgate
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Don't you mean Southgate
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Don't you mean Southgate
    Originally posted by Car 54
    It's your link, but then Southgate worked for longer than northgate today.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,879Users online

Martin's Twitter