Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissMoneypenny
    • By MissMoneypenny 10th Jul 18, 6:52 PM
    • 5,184Posts
    • 8,426Thanks
    MissMoneypenny
    Motherboard problems?
    • 10th Jul 18, 6:52 PM
    Motherboard problems? 10th Jul 18 at 6:52 PM
    I have a self built desktop, that is well used but old. It is now at the stage where either-

1. The power source works but the screen flashes "no imput signal" on and off as the tower peeps as it keeps trying.

2. It starts to load, but only gets as far as "Memory Runs at Single Channel" or stops just before that; and then it freezes.

3. It works.

Is this a motherboard problem? Can it be sorted? Or is it time to build another PC?
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 10th Jul 18, 7:14 PM
    • 10,943 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:14 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:14 PM
    Remove and replace memory sticks first .
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 10th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    This can be a power supply issue. Power supplies are under their most intensive load when a machine is switched on.

If this is a cheap nasty power supply it should probably be binned or promoted to door stop.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 10th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    If this is a cheap nasty power supply it should probably be binned or promoted to door stop.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones

For calrity a decent 450w psu is much better that a crapy 1000w (or more) one.

Weight is a good indicator of a cheap psu. If it's light its .......
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 10th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    Indeed, and even then its been proved that a cheap nasty 700w unit doesn't always provide anywhere near 700w. In the worst case situation they go pop at two thirds stated capacity, so that means a 700w may only be able to provide 469w.

There's a 350w Corsair I think it was I installed in my parents computer in 2008. It is still running today, and in its early life that computer was used day in and day out seven days a week. My own 480w decent brand was new in 2008 and is still working today. They weren't cheap, I won't lie, but they are solid and they are SO quiet. The 350w is overkill now for what that computer is used for but my 480w unit is part of my gaming PC. When it does die, it will get a Corsair or an Antec or something like that.
    Last edited by Neil Jones; 10-07-2018 at 8:52 PM.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 10th Jul 18, 9:00 PM
    • 8,361 Posts
    • 6,136 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:00 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:00 PM
    Have you made any hardware changes to the PC recently? Or installed a new BIOS? Or transported or dropped it?

Sounds to me like a PSU problem. But worth reseating the RAM and testing it with Memtest:

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

What sticks of RAM do you have? When the PC does boot, does it detect all of them?

1. The power source works but the screen flashes "no imput signal" on and off as the tower peeps as it keeps trying.
    Originally posted by MissMoneypenny

peeps = beeps? What is the beep pattern? (e.g. two short tones and one long one, etc.) And what's the make & model of your motherboard?

The beep code will indicate which component the motherboard considers at fault.
    • MissMoneypenny
    • By MissMoneypenny 10th Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 5,184 Posts
    • 8,426 Thanks
    MissMoneypenny
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    Remove and replace memory sticks first .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan

Actually, I've only been running it on 1GB RAM. I've been meaning to replace this for ages as it can take up to 4GB (2GB x 2) DDR2, but it has never given me much of a problem before. I built it 8 years ago. It did slow when I changed from XP to 7 the other year.

I'll try the remove and replace; when I get the courage to turn it off again.
    Last edited by MissMoneypenny; 11-07-2018 at 12:08 AM.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.

• MissMoneypenny
    • By MissMoneypenny 10th Jul 18, 10:27 PM
    • 5,184 Posts
    • 8,426 Thanks
    MissMoneypenny
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:27 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:27 PM
    This can be a power supply issue. Power supplies are under their most intensive load when a machine is switched on.

Originally posted by Neil Jones

I built it in 2009. The PSU came with the case. Cooler Master Elite 333 w/460 PSU for 60. The PC is used every day, for hours and hours.
    Last edited by MissMoneypenny; 10-07-2018 at 10:32 PM.

• MissMoneypenny
    • By MissMoneypenny 10th Jul 18, 10:48 PM
    • 5,184 Posts
    • 8,426 Thanks
    MissMoneypenny
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:48 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:48 PM
    Have you made any hardware changes to the PC recently? Or installed a new BIOS? Or transported or dropped it?
    Originally posted by esuhl

No, no and no.

What sticks of RAM do you have? When the PC does boot, does it detect all of them?

It only has one, Crucial 1GB PC2 6400. That's not a typo, it really is just 1GB of RAM.

peeps = beeps? What is the beep pattern? (e.g. two short tones and one long one, etc.) And what's the make & model of your motherboard?

Motherboard is GIGABYTE S-Series G31.

Just the one beep, as it usually does when it boots up. It then flashed "no imput signal" and beeped once again, like it was trying to boot up again. Then put "no imput signal" again and just the one beep as if it is trying to boot up again. It kept trying until I stopped it. That only started today.

Or it just does the normal one beep as it starts to boot up, but only gets to where I put in my first post, that I numbered 2. That started over the last few days.

Or it will boot up without a problem. As it eventually did today when I thought it had had it.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is the 1GB of RAM now that is causing this boot up problem? When I moved to Windows 7 from XP the other year, it struggles if I try to open lots of tabs and I can go away and make a cup of coffee while it is loading them all. It didn't have that problem with XP. It does open them all eventually - apart from the other day, when it went to what I put in the OP as number 2. I then had to reboot and it started without any problem.

Is it time for me to buy that 4GB of RAM? And it's not the motherboard or PSU?
    Last edited by MissMoneypenny; 11-07-2018 at 12:12 AM.

• that
    • By that 11th Jul 18, 3:02 AM
    • 501 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    that
    Motherboard is GIGABYTE S-Series G31.
    There are many variants of this board.

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
    A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
    (For reference only.)
    1 short: System boots successfully
    2 short: CMOS setting error
    1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
    1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
    1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
    1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
    Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
    Continuous short beeps: Power error

this and next pages should be useful https://www.manualslib.com/manual/271392/Gigabyte-Ga-G31-S3g.html?page=75#manual
    Last edited by that; 11-07-2018 at 3:07 AM.
    • MissMoneypenny
    • By MissMoneypenny 11th Jul 18, 1:42 PM
    • 5,184 Posts
    • 8,426 Thanks
    MissMoneypenny
    There are many variants of this board.

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
    A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
    (For reference only.)
    2 short: CMOS setting error
    1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
    1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
    1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
    1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
    Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly

this and next pages should be useful https://www.manualslib.com/manual/271392/Gigabyte-Ga-G31-S3g.html?page=75#manual
    Originally posted by that

Thanks for this. No matter what it does, it is always the one I embolded above. It just started without any problem.

It doesn't sound like it's the motherboard.

• esuhl
    • By esuhl 11th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    • 8,361 Posts
    • 6,136 Thanks
    esuhl
    I built it in 2009. The PSU came with the case. Cooler Master Elite 333 w/460 PSU for 60. The PC is used every day, for hours and hours.

Hmmm... 60 is very cheap for a case and PSU. Given how much you use it, it's possible that the PSU has given up.

As you just have one stick of RAM, it could be that too. As well as trying to re-seat it, maybe try it in a different slot.

Or maybe take out the RAM, try to boot the PC and compare what happens to what happens when the PC fails to boot with the RAM in. Identical behaviour might mean that the RAM isn't being detected (or is faulty). Different behaviour you haven't seen before suggests that it's something other than the RAM at fault.

Just the one beep, as it usually does when it boots up. It then flashed "no imput signal" and beeped once again, like it was trying to boot up again. Then put "no imput signal" again and just the one beep as if it is trying to boot up again. It kept trying until I stopped it. That only started today.

Are you sure it's not:

Is it time for me to buy that 4GB of RAM? And it's not the motherboard or PSU?

1GB RAM is the absolute bare minimum that Windows 7 requires to run... and even then it'll only run the 32-bit version.

If you're not intending to upgrade the PC soon (and can get it working!) I'd definitely get 4GB RAM.
    • MissMoneypenny
    • By MissMoneypenny 11th Jul 18, 3:31 PM
    • 5,184 Posts
    • 8,426 Thanks
    MissMoneypenny
    Hmmm... 60 is very cheap for a case and PSU. Given how much you use it, it's possible that the PSU has given up.
    It could be the PSU starting to give up.

I just went in to my ebuyer account and they still had the 2009 order-

CoolerMaster Elite 333 Black Case With CM eXtreme Power 460W PSU *SPECIAL OFFER*

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 7.1 channel audio mATX Motherboard

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz Socket 775 800FSB 2MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

As you just have one stick of RAM, it could be that too. As well as trying to re-seat it, maybe try it in a different slot.

Or maybe take out the RAM, try to boot the PC and compare what happens to what happens when the PC fails to boot with the RAM in. Identical behaviour might mean that the RAM isn't being detected (or is faulty). Different behaviour you haven't seen before suggests that it's something other than the RAM at fault.
    Will do.

Are you sure it's not:

Now that you mention it, it could have been the lots of short beeps. It's only done that a couple of times. If it doesn't start, it has been stopping at 2 in the opening post - but... As said, once it went to that same place (2) when I opened a lot of tabs and it was a struggle to load them all.

No problem starting at all today.

1GB RAM is the absolute bare minimum that Windows 7 requires to run... and even then it'll only run the 32-bit version.

If you're not intending to upgrade the PC soon (and can get it working!) I'd definitely get 4GB RAM.
    That's the problem, the whole thing is old and well used. If I thought this was just the RAM, then I would get 4GB. If it's the PSU then I might need to think about a new mobo too? Rip the guts out of the case and rebuild?
    Last edited by MissMoneypenny; 11-07-2018 at 3:48 PM.

• grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 11th Jul 18, 4:13 PM
    • 3,695 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Hard disk OK? HD Sentinel (or chkdsk) will check status (and I'm sure you'll have any important data already backed up :-)
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • captainhaddock
    • By captainhaddock 11th Jul 18, 5:05 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    captainhaddock
    Sounds like your bios battery is low and is not retaining the bios settings - if it's the original battery it may be worth trying for the sake of a pound or two
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 11th Jul 18, 6:20 PM
    • 8,361 Posts
    • 6,136 Thanks
    esuhl
    That's the problem, the whole thing is old and well used. If I thought this was just the RAM, then I would get 4GB.

Assuming you have four RAM slots, you could buy another 1GB stick just to see if it fixes the problem. It should be pretty cheap, just make sure you know exactly what type of RAM you need.

If it works, buy another two 1GB sticks.

If it's the PSU then I might need to think about a new mobo too? Rip the guts out of the case and rebuild?

Hopefully not. Cheap PSUs can damage other components (which is why it's worth getting a quality one), but hopefully that hasn't happened.

Sounds like your bios battery is low and is not retaining the bios settings - if it's the original battery it may be worth trying for the sake of a pound or two
    Originally posted by captainhaddock

Of course! I was going to say that and completely forgot!

One thing you can try is leaving the PC off overnight, then booting up, going into the BIOS settings, and checking the time is correct. If not, you'll need to replace the CR2032 battery, and your BIOS settings may have been corrupted.

If you can't replace the battery immediately, you could try re-saving the existing BIOS settings and rebooting. Or reset the settings to factory defaults, save and reboot.
    • MissMoneypenny
    • By MissMoneypenny 11th Jul 18, 6:48 PM
    • 5,184 Posts
    • 8,426 Thanks
    MissMoneypenny
    Originally posted by captainhaddock

It is the original battery. I have just bought some CR2032 batteries as my kitchen scale uses those. I'll replace that tonight, thanks.
    Last edited by MissMoneypenny; 11-07-2018 at 7:12 PM.

• MissMoneypenny
    • By MissMoneypenny 11th Jul 18, 7:12 PM
    • 5,184 Posts
    • 8,426 Thanks
    MissMoneypenny
    Assuming you have four RAM slots, you could buy another 1GB stick just to see if it fixes the problem. It should be pretty cheap, just make sure you know exactly what type of RAM you need.

From what I recall, it is two slots. I have just been looking at the price of of a 2GB and it's not that bad a price. I'll order one and see if it is that.

Hopefully not. Cheap PSUs can damage other components (which is why it's worth getting a quality one), but hopefully that hasn't happened.
    It was the people on the now closed, buildyourown,org.uk who told me what to buy. I spoke about getting more RAM years ago on there and Valis told me to get 2GB x 2 DDR2. I just never got around to ordering them, even though the PC had slowed when I moved to 7.

One thing you can try is leaving the PC off overnight, then booting up, going into the BIOS settings, and checking the time is correct. If not, you'll need to replace the CR2032 battery, and your BIOS settings may have been corrupted.

If you can't replace the battery immediately, you could try re-saving the existing BIOS settings and rebooting. Or reset the settings to factory defaults, save and reboot.

I have that battery. Can I just put a new battery in? Without checking all that?

• MissMoneypenny
    • By MissMoneypenny 11th Jul 18, 7:15 PM
    • 5,184 Posts
    • 8,426 Thanks
    MissMoneypenny
    Hard disk OK? HD Sentinel (or chkdsk) will check status (and I'm sure you'll have any important data already backed up :-)
    Originally posted by grumpycrab

I have. I learnt that the hard way when the HD failed on my last PC.

• that
    • By that 11th Jul 18, 7:33 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    that
    Not sure if your PC can boot of usb, but you could burn this below to cd and run through the tests of memory, cpu, motherboard and HDD - try all the tests . It may fail on some test though which could be normal, just take note of the failures

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,457Posts Today

8,313Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin