Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melliec
    • By melliec 10th Jul 18, 5:07 PM
    • 251Posts
    • 1,739Thanks
    melliec
    Letting agent harassment
    • 10th Jul 18, 5:07 PM
    Letting agent harassment 10th Jul 18 at 5:07 PM
    My daughter had been renting with her partner for 10 months of a 12 month contract, which they wont be renewing due to the fact that they will be moving from the area. Their contract is until the 9th September but on recieving persistent calls, emails and texts they advised the agent they wouldn't be renewing their contract.

The property has now been listed on the internet and today she has been asked if she can be there to show people around at 6pm (only a few hours notice). She refused and the agent said he could let them in with his key! Then the agent contacted her partner to say that they would come tomorrow to take pictures of the property.

My daughter experiences anxiety and the constant contact and demands that the agent is making it causing her distress.

As her contract isn't up for another 8+ weeks do the agents have any right to show people around her home or to be asking to come in to photograph the home?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Page 3
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 11th Jul 18, 3:41 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,725 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    I know we've had a few threads like this but anyone who thinks it's ok to waltz into someone's house, especially with strangers, does not value people's privacy.
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    To be fair, they're not just waltzing in, they have given notice.
    • campbell19925
    • By campbell19925 11th Jul 18, 3:42 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    campbell19925
    To be fair, they're not just waltzing in, they have given notice.
    Originally posted by Quizzical Squirrel
    Notice that he's going to turn up tomorrow and let himself in with keys doesn't count...
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 11th Jul 18, 3:47 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,725 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    Notice that he's going to turn up tomorrow and let himself in with keys doesn't count...
    Originally posted by campbell19925
    That is actually the normal process in some countries though.

So I don't think we can say it's an overall unspeakable human rights violation.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 11th Jul 18, 4:17 PM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 63,632 Thanks
    D_M_E
    If the tenant is leaving at the end of the contracted period then surely there is no need to give notice?

Just move out and take loads of photos after cleaning the place, read and photo all the meters and inform the utility companies, claim back deposit from whatever scheme it's in and make sure the keys are handed back on the day or the day before.

Also notify the council and finalise the council tax bill.

Another vote for ignoring the agent.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Jul 18, 4:43 PM
    • 3,472 Posts
    • 6,695 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Whilst I am completely against this idiotic proposal by the government for 3 year tenancies, I think forcing viewings on tenants is inherently wrong. I know how much of a violation viewings can feel when you are selling your own house from choice. It is high time the law was changed to eliminate this invasion of privacy.

Why should any tenant have to care about their LL's, let alone LA's voids? It is so not their problem.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 12th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 1,922 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Whilst I am completely against this idiotic proposal by the government for 3 year tenancies, I think forcing viewings on tenants is inherently wrong. I know how much of a violation viewings can feel when you are selling your own house from choice. It is high time the law was changed to eliminate this invasion of privacy.

Why should any tenant have to care about their LL's, let alone LA's voids? It is so not their problem.
    Originally posted by Smodlet

Voids for a LL would mean a smaller income which could mean higher rental for future tenants. I'm a tenant and am happy for viewings to take place at times suitable to me. It's never been a problem and in all honesty have never had more than two five minute viewings at any property I've been in.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Jul 18, 5:03 PM
    • 3,472 Posts
    • 6,695 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Voids for a LL would mean a smaller income which could mean higher rental for future tenants. I'm a tenant and am happy for viewings to take place at times suitable to me. It's never been a problem and in all honesty have never had more than two five minute viewings at any property I've been in.
    Originally posted by parkrunner
    Then you have been very lucky, I think. Not everyone is as fortunate nor, perhaps, as confident in dealing with LAs/LLs as you are, parkrunner but I am glad your experience has been as it has.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

106Posts Today

2,334Users online

Martin's Twitter