Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 10th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    • 361Posts
    • 174Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News: More than half of UK airports STILL don't have free water fountains
    • 10th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: More than half of UK airports STILL don't have free water fountains 10th Jul 18 at 4:25 PM
    Four UK airports are in the process of installing free drinking water fountains in their departure lounges following a MoneySavingExpert campaign, and a further two are considering it...
    Read the full story:
    'More than half of UK airports STILL don't have free water fountains'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 64,318 Posts
    • 377,492 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 10th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    Why is it important?

I've never been to an airport, so have no idea why this would be so "important" when so many other things are really important.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 10th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 10th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    Why is it important?

I've never been to an airport, so have no idea why this would be so "important" when so many other things are really important.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    It's not important.

In airports without a water fountain you can just ask at the bar to fill up a water bottle or for a glass.

Its non-news that is making a big deal out of nothing. It's the kind of journalism you expect from a tabloid.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 10th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    z1a
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    Who cares?
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 10th Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    I always use the fountain at Gatwick (I fly often so £2 for a bottle of water adds up). Never seen anyone else use it. Ever. It's in such a stupid place that no-one will notice it unless they know it's there.

Stansted went even further and removed all of theirs (except on one pier).

The more important one, IMO, is major railway stations. There's nothing more frustrating than being delayed and running out of water on a hot day.

• matelodave
    • By matelodave 10th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 2,324 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    And????

Surely MSE has better things to do than nit pick over trivia
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jul 18, 6:42 PM
    • 20,723 Posts
    • 55,818 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:42 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:42 PM
    So I guess MSE's call to the 18 UK international airports in this thread fell on deaf ears....

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5685393&highlight=fountain
    MoneySavingExpert.com is calling on 18 UK international airports to offer free drinking water fountains to passengers in their departure lounges...
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Jul 18, 2:05 AM
    • 3,818 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:05 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:05 AM
    Why is it important?
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    It's not important.
    Originally posted by stevenhp1987
    Who cares?
    Originally posted by z1a
    Free and easily accessible drinking water facilities are provided as a common courtesy in the airports of virtually all, including third world, countries. The British are fairly unique in allowing themselves to be fleeced, and to bear the shame of fleecing departing visitors, in this lack of common decency for shameless commercial gain.
    • f4phixeruk
    • By f4phixeruk 12th Jul 18, 9:40 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    f4phixeruk
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:40 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:40 PM
    Edinburgh has free fountains. Used it in May. Just after security. Filled an empty bottle I'd brought through just for this purpose.
    • Lrimas
    • By Lrimas 12th Jul 18, 9:50 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    Lrimas
    It's important.

You are not allowed to take water through security so you are left with the option of buying water (which is expensive and comes in a single use plastic container), filling it up in the bathroom (which can be unsanitary and sometimes leaves you drinking warm water) or asking at a bar (an option that I won't do as I will feel the need to buy something as well)
    • parcival
    • By parcival 13th Jul 18, 8:23 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    parcival
    It is important and this is a money saving website. Why should people (UK residents and Visitors) be ripped off with blatant profiteering.

Bristol airport has a fountain and many people seem to use it.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 14th Jul 18, 10:42 PM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 14,140 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I don't bother taking an empty drinks bottle with me as know several people at various airports had their empty and dry bottles confiscated. They were just empty bottles that had some drink in them when purchased - in 500ml to 700ml bottles.

I get a sandwich meal deal at Boots or Superdrug (East Midlands doesn't have Boots) and get my water this way.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 15th Jul 18, 8:01 AM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    glider3560
    I don't bother taking an empty drinks bottle with me as know several people at various airports had their empty and dry bottles confiscated. They were just empty bottles that had some drink in them when purchased - in 500ml to 700ml bottles.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I've never had this problem (taken about 30 flights in the last few years from various UK and overseas airports).

I find it helps to keep it out of display. The only two times I've been told it's not allowed is by the people who tell you which queue to join and hand out those little plastic bags (i.e. not the actual security screeners). I just ignore them and put it through the scanner. The staff actually doing the screening know the rules and always allow it through.

• photome
    • By photome 15th Jul 18, 8:16 AM
    • 13,483 Posts
    • 8,995 Thanks
    photome

I get a sandwich meal deal at Boots or Superdrug (East Midlands doesn't have Boots) and get my water this way.
    I have taken empty bottles through dozens of times in many different airports and never had one confiscated. I always have it in my hand and show them.

I also think it is good MSE are trying to get airports to install.

For those that say its a non story etc...this is a money saving site, and guess what,its trying to save us money
    Last edited by photome; 15-07-2018 at 8:18 AM.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 15th Jul 18, 9:07 AM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 14,140 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    What about the foreign airports? I doubt they have as many. That is another reason why I don't bother bringing an empty bottle through when going home.

I remember at Rome airport in 2016. For !!!8364;4, I got a (surprisingly large) coffee, bottle of water and a danish pastry. Buying the three individually would have cost !!!8364;8
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 15th Jul 18, 9:16 AM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    glider3560
    What about the foreign airports? I doubt they have as many. That is another reason why I don't bother bringing an empty bottle through when going home.
    I've found water fountains or taps available at the following:
    • Copenhagen
    • Athens
    • Los Angeles
    • Bratislava
    • Tallinn
    • Gothenburg City (no longer open to commercial flights)
    • Palma de Mallorca
    • Malta
    There are some places that don't have them, like Nice, where the cheapest bottle of water appeared to be Ä2.50!

I always take an empty bottle through, just in case there is a fountain. And also because I want to re-use the bottle when I get home.

• photome
    • By photome 15th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    • 13,483 Posts
    • 8,995 Thanks
    photome

I remember at Rome airport in 2016. For !!!8364;4, I got a (surprisingly large) coffee, bottle of water and a danish pastry. Buying the three individually would have cost !!!8364;8
    I find that foreign airports often have more water fountains than U.K. airports

Its hardly a bother to take an empty bottle through and like glider says its also reusable when you get home

Ps I would never spend 8364 on snacks and a drink
    Last edited by photome; 15-07-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    • photome
    • By photome 15th Jul 18, 10:27 AM
    • 13,483 Posts
    • 8,995 Thanks
    photome
    I've found water fountains or taps available at the following:
    • Copenhagen
    • Athens
    • Los Angeles
    • Bratislava
    • Tallinn
    • Gothenburg City (no longer open to commercial flights)
    • Palma de Mallorca
    • Malta
    There are some places that don't have them, like Nice, where the cheapest bottle of water appeared to be Ä2.50!

I always take an empty bottle through, just in case there is a fountain. And also because I want to re-use the bottle when I get home.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    I also reuse the bottles, many times
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 15th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 14,140 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I!!!8217;m flying to Riga and flying back from there in Sept.

Got this from the airport website

[quote]Riga International Airport and the companies operating in it have joined the initiative of Airports Council International Europe (ACI Europe) and provide an opportunity to buy a bottle of water (0.5 l) for a trip for 1 euro beyond the passenger security checkpoint since 2016.

There are 2 places immediately behind security control which are marked with special sign where passengers can buy water for 1 EUR[\quote]

I have never heard of ACI Europe. !!!8364;1 is the price for water in tourist attractions.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 15th Jul 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    glider3560
    [QUOTE=ScarletMarble;74531003]I!!!8217;m flying to Riga and flying back from there in Sept.

Got this from the airport website

Riga International Airport and the companies operating in it have joined the initiative of Airports Council International Europe (ACI Europe) and provide an opportunity to buy a bottle of water (0.5 l) for a trip for 1 euro beyond the passenger security checkpoint since 2016.

There are 2 places immediately behind security control which are marked with special sign where passengers can buy water for 1 EUR[\quote]

I have never heard of ACI Europe. !!!8364;1 is the price for water in tourist attractions.
    Interesting. I noticed in Greece that the government actually regulate the price of water (and various other things) at "captive environments", including airports. 500ml water has to be Ä0.35. Unsurprisingly the only water on display at the airport in Athens is 600ml at around Ä2! You actually have to ask for the 500ml bottles (which they reluctantly sell you) although unlikely to be refrigerated.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,980Posts Today

10,109Users online

Martin's Twitter