Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 10th Jul 18, 2:40 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 66Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    Documents from solicitor for somebody else
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:40 PM
    Documents from solicitor for somebody else 10th Jul 18 at 2:40 PM
    Hi all,

Just after some advice.

We have received some documents in the post from the solicitors for another person included with some documents for ourselves.

Would you return to the solicitor so they can cover it up or contact the person they are intended for?
Page 2
    • avacapri
    • By avacapri 11th Jul 18, 6:26 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    avacapri
    you could always raise a complaint about the solicitor with whoever they are regulated by, the sra.org will have details about complaints procedures, if the documents are important please dont delay in getting them back as you could be harming someone's house purchase/sale.
    people do make mistakes and like some poster said it could be someone 'young who could not care less' or old that needs to be put out to grass (incredible) or it could be a mother with a newborn that has not slept properly for a week.

people make mistakes - but it is your right to complain
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jul 18, 7:18 AM
    • 25,587 Posts
    • 93,607 Thanks
    Davesnave
    like some poster said it could be someone 'young who could not care less' or old that needs to be put out to grass (incredible)
    Originally posted by avacapri

Should that not be 'inedible'?

As a doddering old fool, somewhat over pension age and without four stomachs, I'm really not sure.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it. More changes on the way?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 11th Jul 18, 9:09 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    Here we go.....COMPO!
    Originally posted by m0bov

Haha!!

Why on earth would I want compo for something that isn't affecting me personally.

Its not my private documents that are in someone else's hands.

I should have known better than to ask on a forum full of people stuck up their own backsides.
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 11th Jul 18, 9:12 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    you could always raise a complaint about the solicitor with whoever they are regulated by, the sra.org will have details about complaints procedures, if the documents are important please dont delay in getting them back as you could be harming someone's house purchase/sale.
    people do make mistakes and like some poster said it could be someone 'young who could not care less' or old that needs to be put out to grass (incredible) or it could be a mother with a newborn that has not slept properly for a week.

people make mistakes - but it is your right to complain
    Originally posted by avacapri

We have been on holiday for 2 weeks so the documents will have already had a slight delay.

We are going to take them to the person they are actually intended for rather than back to the solicitor so they are aware of the mistake.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 11th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 4,464 Posts
    • 4,995 Thanks
    robatwork
    "Everyone makes mistakes"

But we learn from our mistakes, and if the mistake isn't highlighted to whoever made it and their boss, how will anyone learn anything.

A lot of the replies here are symptomatic of what's going on in schools where we mustn't have the words "failure, mistake, wrong" or put little Timmy in the lower set because he isn't very bright. It's a race to the bottom and we're miles ahead of a lot of the "developing" world.

Never mind compo - someone cocked up, and the company who pay money to the person who cocked up should know about it to ensure a lesson is learned.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jul 18, 10:00 AM
    • 25,587 Posts
    • 93,607 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I should have known better than to ask on a forum full of people stuck up their own backsides.
    Originally posted by cherryx3x3
    You have had a range of opinions, which is what you asked for by posting on an open forum, yet you pick out one you don't like and insult everyone.

Revealing, or just someone who doesn't 'get' forums?

I'd do what you plan to do if the true recipients are local. They can take the matter up. I'd be worried that if I took them to the solicitors' office some minion would whisk them away and any mistake would be covered-up. While I wouldn't want a public hanging, if I owned the firm I'd want to know about errors and who'd made them.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it. More changes on the way?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 10,711 Posts
    • 14,065 Thanks
    hazyjo

UNREAL LOL

Better shut my mouth before I say something I regret (if I can get it open after being firmly wedged up my backside) or I'll get banned.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 11th Jul 18, 11:30 AM
    • 820 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    need an answer
    Whilst I've been clearly in the minority, I still feel others opinions have been totally valid.

not sure what the OP was expecting but if you ask for an opinion that's usually what you'll get.If you wanted agreement then you needed to have made that clear as what you were seeking from other posters
    in S 34 T 40 F 50
    out S 50 T 45 F 50
    2017 -32
    • thelem
    • By thelem 11th Jul 18, 1:22 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    thelem
    How does GDPR apply?
    Originally posted by KingMob

GDPR is all about protecting your personal data, and applies to paper as much as it applies to electronic communications. It's not just about opting in to email mailing lists.

Under GDPR this would be called a Personal Data Breach, see https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/personal-data-breaches/

Once the solicitor becomes aware of the data breach, their Data Protection Officer has 72 hours to assess the data breach and, if it is serious enough, notify the ICO. How serious the breach is will depend on what information has leaked, how much information was leaked, and who it was leaked to.

In this case it doesn't sound like the leaked data will have caused any harm, but it easily could have done. Imagine if it was sensitive information sent to the wrong party in a messy divorce. Or it could be a document that reveals the identity of a protected witness in a criminal case.

To the people who has said "it's just human error, what good will a fine do?" A large enough fine or other penalty will make the solicitors review their processes to ensure it doesn't happen again. For example, they could insist that all letters get checked by a second person before being posted. A lot of the GDPR regulations were already covered by the Data Protection Act, but the maximum fine has increased from 500k to 4% of global company turnover, which is why companies are suddenly taking notice.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 11th Jul 18, 5:41 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 1,516 Thanks
    ThePants999
    A lot of the GDPR regulations were already covered by the Data Protection Act, but the maximum fine has increased from 500k to 4% of global company turnover, which is why companies are suddenly taking notice.
    Originally posted by thelem
    Strictly speaking: 4% of turnover or !!!8364;20M, whichever is higher!

(Just had to sit through GDPR training at work, yawwwwwn)

But in this particular instance, the appropriate fine would probably be about a fiver.
    Last edited by ThePants999; 11-07-2018 at 5:44 PM.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 11th Jul 18, 7:37 PM
    • 2,675 Posts
    • 2,608 Thanks
    steampowered
    It should be possible to hold a different opinion to other people without insulting them.

Insulting people that disagree with you, or assuming that they must be wrong/stupid, is a very sad way of looking at the world.

The next time someone makes a massive issue out of a mistake you make - whether at work or in the home - perhaps you will think of this incident!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    • 32,135 Posts
    • 20,213 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Haha!!

Why on earth would I want compo for something that isn't affecting me personally.

Its not my private documents that are in someone else's hands.

Thars harsh, you asked for advice on a simple issue.

Just return the documents to the solicitor, didnt need a thread though.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 11th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,731 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    You're asking us how you can weaponize this mistake?
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 11th Jul 18, 11:04 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Ergates
    Don't return or forward on the documents, destroy them.

Regardless of what you do with the documents, you should inform the solicitors of their mistake - they need to review their processes, even if it's just a memo that says "Double check the documents before licking the envelope"
    • martindow
    • By martindow 12th Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 7,643 Posts
    • 4,355 Thanks
    martindow
    I think I would want to make sure they tightened up their procedures for the future. Just returning the papers sent in error doesn't ensure they will make any changes.

I suppose if the OP wants to make a point and be a little mischievous they could adopt Ergate's suggestion of destroying the other papers. They could then tell the solicitors they did this because of GDPR and can't remember who the papers were intended to be sent to.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 12th Jul 18, 6:20 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Ergates
    I suppose if the OP wants to make a point and be a little mischievous they could adopt Ergate's suggestion of destroying the other papers. They could then tell the solicitors they did this because of GDPR and can't remember who the papers were intended to be sent to.
    Originally posted by martindow
    I didn't suggest that to be mischievous, I believe it to be the best course of action.

Firstly, it's not the OP's responsibility to fix other peoples mistakes.
    Secondly, destroying them ensures that the rogue documents are in the "wrong hands" for the least amount of time.

It's not like reprinting and resending the documents is a massive burden on the solicitors.
    • thelem
    • By thelem 12th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    thelem
    Secondly, destroying them ensures that the rogue documents are in the "wrong hands" for the least amount of time.

It's not like reprinting and resending the documents is a massive burden on the solicitors.
    Originally posted by Ergates

Depends what the documents are. If they are originals they may be irreplaceable.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 13th Jul 18, 9:32 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    Documents were returned to the rightful owner last night.

Lady seemed slightly confused as to why we were taking them to her but was thankful none the less.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Jul 18, 9:36 AM
    • 7,770 Posts
    • 13,990 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    A couple of years ago, my parents got something through the post, a large thick envelope - not addressed to them. It was the same number as them, but down the next street.

Dad took the envelope around and the owners were in the driveway after returning from somewhere. It turned out to be their new wills!
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 13th Jul 18, 9:46 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    jennhg88
    My company in a different sector has a policy and process to follow for situations like this, so I would suggest notifying the solicitor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,112Posts Today

6,876Users online

Martin's Twitter