Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 10th Jul 18, 2:40 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 67Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    Documents from solicitor for somebody else
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:40 PM
    Documents from solicitor for somebody else 10th Jul 18 at 2:40 PM
    Hi all,

Just after some advice.

We have received some documents in the post from the solicitors for another person included with some documents for ourselves.

Would you return to the solicitor so they can cover it up or contact the person they are intended for?
Page 1
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Jul 18, 2:46 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:46 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:46 PM
    I have in the past sent something on to the intended person,mine erroneous documents were a full mortgage offer from a high street bank.the fact that part of my mortgage offer was also missing added to the confusion and I believe a third person became involved

As part of the complaint process that followed I received a 3 figure payment and letter of full apology from said bank.

I guess it depends what you received and whether you want to remain on speaking terms with your solicitor.
    in S 36 T 57 F 57
    out S 51 T 60 F 66
    2017 -32
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Jul 18, 2:48 PM
    • 8,497 Posts
    • 8,950 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:48 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:48 PM
    I would contact the solicitors.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 10th Jul 18, 2:49 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:49 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:49 PM
    I would probably just return the documents; mistakes happen.

Postmen put letters through the wrong door all the time, but we don't start a national inquiry.
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 10th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    The documents are regarding a house purchase for the other person.

We don't care one way or the other about keeping in contact with the solicitor as it is not regarding anything "important"
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 10th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    I would probably just return the documents; mistakes happen.

Postmen put letters through the wrong door all the time, but we don't start a national inquiry.
    Originally posted by Grenage

My point is they were in the same envelope as some documents we were sent by the solicitor addressed to us.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 10th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    My point is they were in the same envelope as some documents we were sent by the solicitor addressed to us.
    Originally posted by cherryx3x3
    And Grenage's point is that it's the same level of basic human error. Someone picked up one too many documents from the printer when putting yours in the envelope. Unfortunate, but not the end of the world.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 10th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    • 2,844 Posts
    • 2,818 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 10th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    Someone at the solicitors made a mistake.

Solicitors (and law firm staff are human). Humans make mistakes. Not the end of the world.

I would just return it to the solicitor and would send them an email along the lines of 'Just letting you know that the envelope contained some documents which appeared to be for someone else, I have returned those to you.'
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 10th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    And Grenage's point is that it's the same level of basic human error. Someone picked up one too many documents from the printer when putting yours in the envelope. Unfortunate, but not the end of the world.
    Originally posted by ThePants999

Its not the first error this solicitor has made either.

I for one would not be happy that my personal documents were in the hands of someone else, but hey that just must be me.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    • 11,011 Posts
    • 9,343 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Returning the docs to the solicitor draws their attention to the error. The person sending out the documents may well be a young "couldn't care less" type or someone who should have been put out to pasture, so if either of these scenarios is the case, the solicitor can take appropriate action
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 10th Jul 18, 3:18 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    ThePants999
    We're not asking you to be happy about it, just not to make a mountain out of a molehill.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Jul 18, 3:21 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    need an answer
    Its not the first error this solicitor has made either.

I for one would not be happy that my personal documents were in the hands of someone else, but hey that just must be me.

Do you know your personal documents have gone to someone else?

In our case we did.

How you deal with it is really up to you,I certainly challenged the stuff we received.

I understand the majority of posters here who say mistakes happen and it all comes off a printer etc return it to the solicitors but as I said earlier I challenged it and the bank agreed with me,
    in S 36 T 57 F 57
    out S 51 T 60 F 66
    2017 -32
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    • 10,883 Posts
    • 14,334 Thanks
    hazyjo
    My driving licence, payslip and bank statement was sent to another client of my lender, and I received theirs. Wish I'd hung on for a three figure payment lol! Think I got enough for a takeaway, that was about it lol! And I wasn't going to complain, but they said they would log it as a complaint (they insisted) so that I could get some compensation (the £30 or whatever it was).

I'd not want anyone sacked or reprimanded over it. As above, we're all human and none of us perfect!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 10th Jul 18, 3:33 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    Do you know your personal documents have gone to someone else?

In our case we did.

How you deal with it is really up to you,I certainly challenged the stuff we received.

I understand the majority of posters here who say mistakes happen and it all comes off a printer etc return it to the solicitors but as I said earlier I challenged it and the bank agreed with me,
    Originally posted by need an answer

I imagine the person who's documents we have will probably not know yet that we have them.

We have been on holiday for 2 weeks and just returned to them in with some documents the solicitor has sent us regarding a case we had going with them.

All the above mustn't be aware of the new GDPR legislation?

I am aware people make mistakes but this is one of a number on the solicitors part now.
    • InterestedParty2018
    • By InterestedParty2018 10th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    InterestedParty2018
    You have asked for advice, and advice appears to have been given.

Your choice regarding who's advice you follow.

If you are making a tally, I am in on the team that says "dont make a mountain out of a molehill, it is human error".

Bring it to their attention, return documents and end of.

If you genuinely believe that your personal information has been compromised and as a result you have suffered in some way, then challenge them. Otherwise, IMO, let it be.
    • KingMob
    • By KingMob 10th Jul 18, 5:57 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    KingMob
    All the above mustn't be aware of the new GDPR legislation?
    How does GDPR apply?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 10th Jul 18, 6:03 PM
    • 59,781 Posts
    • 53,122 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I am aware people make mistakes but this is one of a number on the solicitors part now.
    One day you'll realise there's more important matters in life.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 10th Jul 18, 8:09 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    m0bov
    Here we go.....COMPO!
    • takman
    • By takman 10th Jul 18, 9:06 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    takman
    I have in the past sent something on to the intended person,mine erroneous documents were a full mortgage offer from a high street bank.the fact that part of my mortgage offer was also missing added to the confusion and I believe a third person became involved

As part of the complaint process that followed I received a 3 figure payment and letter of full apology from said bank.

I guess it depends what you received and whether you want to remain on speaking terms with your solicitor.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    So how does that solve anything?

Money and a letter of apology doesn't do anything to help with the problem of letters being sent incorrectly and doesn't do anything to stop it happening again.

Personally in your situation I would have wanted them to investigate what happened and give me an explanation of what went wrong and what information of mine was accidentally sent out. Atleast then this may reduce the chance of it happening again.

Giving money and an apology letter is just a standard response to any complaint where the bank made a mistake to make the customer go away, it doesn't really achieve anything and isn't helpful (apart from a bit of extra cash).
    • Slick88
    • By Slick88 10th Jul 18, 10:17 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Slick88
    Our solicitors recently accidentally sent us an email intended for someone else by accident.

My name and her colleagues are similar and her auto fill just sent it to the wrong person.

I just emailed her back. Informed her I had deleted the message and if she could just confirm my details were safe.

People make mistakes.

I told her not to worry and understood, as someone that uses email everyday for work, that itís easy enough to send something to the wrong person with a slip of the hand.

Next thing I know her boss is calling me to apologise...

Itís easy enough to put the wrong info in the wrong envelope. Itís not like it was your info sent to the wrong person and for the person whose details it was as unless you have enough info to commit identity fraud (unlikely) and are intending to do
    so then they have nothing to worry about.

Ignorance is bliss and all that jazz. youíd probably just cause the intended person sleepless nights and undue stress
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

6,895Users online

Martin's Twitter