Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cdny
    • By Cdny 10th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Cdny
    3 Months on Market no second viewers or offers
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    3 Months on Market no second viewers or offers 10th Jul 18 at 1:52 PM
    I have owned this property since January 2018 so just over 6 months. After buying the property I started a new job and wanted to move closer to my girlfriends parents due to childcare. So I put my house on the market about 3 months ago.

I have has about 10 viewers since then and reduced the price. I have lost out on the house i had in mind but have found a development close by and have paid the deposit for the new house to be built.

I'm not sure what else I should be doing or the estate agents I can't afford to lower the price any more than I already have and I don't really want to loose the deposit I have paid on the new build house.

Any ideas are appreciated.

I will provide the right move listing if you want to take a look and advise on things you would change.

Thanks
Page 2
    • Throwaway1
    • By Throwaway1 10th Jul 18, 5:09 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    Throwaway1
    When I look at a house online and the first photo isn't one of the front of the house, I usually move on to the next in the list...
    Originally posted by KittenChops

Exactly the same here. I saw somewhere that it is something EAs do when they have something to hide. It might not be true but everytime the front hasn't been the first photo on houses I've looked at it's always ended up being because of something wrong with it.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 10th Jul 18, 5:12 PM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 5,352 Thanks
    westernpromise
    I can't think why you'd put a deposit down on another house before you've had any buying interest in your current one. Then again, as you bought a house then noticed 3* months later that you'd bought in the wrong place, forward thinking evidently isn't your thing.

* edit: was 6 months but I see OP bought 6 months ago and has been trying to sell for 3 months of that...way to get poor really quickly
    Last edited by westernpromise; 11-07-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 10th Jul 18, 5:13 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    diggingdude
    House seems nice, plenty for your money. Those bedrooms look small though, suppose it depends what other 3 beds are like in the area. Is it an area which attracts families or oldies (no offence to anyone) where a 3 bed is too large ?
    House Deposit - Target £20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - £10225 13121.22 £14621.22 £16021
    • Smi1er
    • By Smi1er 10th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Smi1er
    Nice house but the one issue for me is I think immediately that's a two bedroom house with a partition! B3 is way too narrow
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Jul 18, 6:07 PM
    • 32,390 Posts
    • 19,462 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Do the more like this test.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 10th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    • 4,567 Posts
    • 6,586 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    It is in a rough area. Didn't you notice when you bought it that it is on a main road and on a large council estate and it has no off street parking?

I would imagine that viewers don't like the area or the main road or the lack of offstreet parking. It hasn't dropped in value you just paid too much for it in the first place.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th Jul 18, 12:13 AM
    • 6,261 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Looks good, I`m quite impressed with it actually, don`t know the area though, bad neighbours could spoil it?
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 11th Jul 18, 1:37 AM
    • 5,463 Posts
    • 7,655 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Please understand that these comments are meant to help.

The bedrooms are very narrow. But their narrowness I suspect it emphasied by the decor. They are dark. One bedroom has large sized patterns on one wall, all rooms have had the short walls painted dark so they seem smaller and further away (think dark tunnel).

I'd go for neutral colours in all the bedrooms. Lighten them up, don't make them seem any smaller. Use light plain bed linen as well so the beds don't seem quite so dominating. You can see how light the main bedroom seems in comparison to the others (although again a dark short wall which makes it seem even smaller).

The photos seem to have been taken by a kneeling photographer which gives an odd angle? Could you try taking photos yourself and compare if they look better?

Mow the front lawn. The rear of the building looks quite clean but the frontage looks very grimy. I'd be looking at ways of washing the grime off to make it look more appealing.

There are good points to the building, the lounge is ok although again the dominating wall pattern might make it look smaller and put people off. The kitchen is good, the hallway pictures a bit odd.

Basically the angle the photos are taken at don't really allow you to put yourself in there as a viewer because they all look quite strange. I suspect its a lovely house but the photos and colour scheme don't show it to the best advantage.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 11-07-2018 at 1:42 AM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jul 18, 7:47 AM
    • 25,549 Posts
    • 93,526 Thanks
    Davesnave

Basically the angle the photos are taken at don't really allow you to put yourself in there as a viewer because they all look quite strange.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    I thought the agent might be a midget.....

Err.....can one say 'midget' these days, or is there a new polite term this ancient old fogey isn't aware of?

As to the house, it would make a fine two bedder and it's a shame the OP wants to move after doing all that decoration, which is rather'personal.'

Plenty else already said, so I'll shut up and go to the Day Centre.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it. More changes on the way?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 11th Jul 18, 8:17 AM
    • 3,218 Posts
    • 8,189 Thanks
    tori.k
    I guess its not helping that you are mid terrace and the highest priced compared to the end terraced houses in your area despite yours being better decorated as they usually have more land and better access. I would say its just a waiting game whats the feedback been from your viewers
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Mortgage Free (stage 3) 140000/ 2127
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 3000/6000
    • Cdny
    • By Cdny 11th Jul 18, 11:12 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Cdny
    That's for the honesty so far it's really helpful.

Feedback has been a problem to be fair most people don't return calls from the estate agents after viewings. The feedback I have had is they are going to look at more propertys. But the majority are not leaving feedback which isn't helpful at all
    • Cdny
    • By Cdny 11th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Cdny
    Obviously I can't do anything about the layout of the house. The drive was somthing I have looked into but I don't think I can justify the outlay. Would it make that much of a difference?

While people are viewing I make them aware that any painting will be covered before they move in if they wish.

Obviously I am aware of the area and was aware when I moved in. Since moving I have had no issues at all and have found everyone to be really friendly.
    • LucyR_
    • By LucyR_ 11th Jul 18, 11:51 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    LucyR_
    Honestly, the decor would really put me off. Itís not something that looks like it would be straightforward to cover up with such bold colours. It also does nothing for the rooms, making them look smaller than they perhaps are.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 11th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    While people are viewing I make them aware that any painting will be covered before they move in if they wish.
    Originally posted by Cdny
    Seems to me you're at the point where you need to magnolia it throughout and re-shoot the pictures.

My 2p is that the bedrooms seem really, really small from the pictures - there's barely any space between the ends of the beds and the wall - picture 9 for example.

As for the exterior shots (pictures 2 and 3) - there's a filter or something on them that makes them look all gritty and awful. Just take a picture on a nice day, make sure it's in focus and the sky is nice and blue (and time it so each shot has the house in sunlight, not shadow) and don't filter/sharpen/process it at all.

Love the kitchen (apart from the kitschy platitude on the wall ) and the floors throughout really do look nice.

I think it's the size of the bedrooms that are doing it. I know it's not something you're planning, but this would make a corking 2-bed (lose the middle one). It's seriously compromised upstairs as a 3, though.

All IMHO, obv.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 6,261 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    3 months and no interest mean it is over-priced or there are just a lot of houses for sale in your area.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Jul 18, 6:47 PM
    • 6,261 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Any offers?
    • muz3562
    • By muz3562 16th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    muz3562
    In terms of things that you could actually change I would look to repaint the blue bedroom and the blue wall in the main bedroom . Will make them look a bit bigger . I know some are kids bedrooms but any chances of mirrors on the walls as well ?

In photo 4 I would be tempted to pull that rug matching the wallpaper back so its half under the couch to show off the flooring instead . Only a subtle change

Have you been present for viewings , if so there is nothing wrong with asking for thoughts there and then .

Id take out the "GUIDE PRICE £95,000 TO £105,000" As a buyer that would just make me want to offer below 95k . Once you have mentioned the lower number there is no way they are going to make any offers above that so it is pointless having any higher numbers on the listing .

As others have also said you are going to struggle because of the recent purchase . Which is why for me I would clearly address it in the ad by saying something about relocation forces sale .

Other than that , nothing glaringly obvious that is wrong . It looks like an alright property for FTB's maybe even a family with one child .
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Jul 18, 2:15 PM
    • 6,261 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Exactly the same here. I saw somewhere that it is something EAs do when they have something to hide. It might not be true but everytime the front hasn't been the first photo on houses I've looked at it's always ended up being because of something wrong with it.
    Originally posted by Throwaway1

10 people have viewed this one though, so it isn`t that...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,893Posts Today

8,929Users online

Martin's Twitter