Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 10th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    • 115Posts
    • 95Thanks
    woolythoughts
    Virgin atlantic credit card - additional card holder refused - any ideas why?
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    Virgin atlantic credit card - additional card holder refused - any ideas why? 10th Jul 18 at 12:58 PM
    Hi

I'll try to be as comprehensive as possible:

I was declared bankrupt and MBNA linked to virgin atlantic mileage account was one of the creditors.

Since then I've cleaned up my credit file, have two non sub prime credit cards and a 123 account along with my barclays premier account. I qualified for car finance via mercedes and generally am regarded as a decent bet. I was lucky compared to some.

The only negative is one default for 30 froom OCtober 2012 which will fall off this year - I've basically given up arguing with Three over it.

For years, husband has had MBNA virgin card linkd to my mileage account and we have LOTS of airmiles which we are saving up for specific reasons. I was an additional card holder.

However MBNA no longer link with Virgin air miles which is fine.

So I myself applied for a virgin card and got decline. I was ok with that. Assumed that it was either the default for 30 or I'd been black listed because of shared data with MBNA.

SO husband applied for one - and got it with a decent credit limit (10000). Unfortunately it can't be linked to my air miles account but we can live with that.

Because we like to maximise the air miles, we asked for an additional card holder card for me.

It was declined which seemed odd because the person whose responsible for the account is husband not me. It says on their website that the second card holder just has to be over 18 and resident in the UK and live in the same house - which we do - but that the account holder is still responsible.

The letter stated that "an additional card holder cannot be added to the account at this time"

I can only think there are three possibilities.

1. We asked too close to the account being taken out and they want to see it running for a few months first - except it doesn't say that on the website

2. They don't like it because of my default of 30 from 6 years ago - which seems a little ridiculous because husband is still legally responsible

If its either of these when we ask again in October I would imagine it goes through. In fact I might reapply in my own name then.

But there is:

3. They will never ever ever deal with me because of MBNA who were a separate company.

Which again is fine its their rules but it seems harsh to prohibit a second card holder.

After that long rambling - does anyne have any insights on what might actually be the reason.
    Last edited by woolythoughts; 10-07-2018 at 1:13 PM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 17,706 Posts
    • 18,830 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    Possibility 4: they do restrict additional cardholders from time to time, so don't overthink it.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 10th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    4. They don't have to honour these requests or give a reason why

Try again in a few months
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 10th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    I know they don't have to - I was postulating as to why though.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 10th Jul 18, 7:08 PM
    • 24,949 Posts
    • 12,174 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:08 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:08 PM
    Are you both on electoral roll?
    It could be because of that default in 2012.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • maxximus75
    • By maxximus75 10th Jul 18, 7:23 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    maxximus75
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:23 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:23 PM
    If you request an additional card holder on the initial application it's usually fine.

If the account has been opened and you straight away apply for one they usually decline until the account has been opened a few months first.
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 11th Jul 18, 8:46 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:46 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:46 AM
    Ah - that might be it.

We didn't request it at application simply because the main thing was getting the card - and didn't want any risk of it being declined because o me on it.

We'll know one way or the other come october.

Thanks all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,035Posts Today

8,165Users online

Martin's Twitter