Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sebsy
    • By sebsy 10th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    • 88Posts
    • 43Thanks
    sebsy
    Unused Gift Cards sold on ebay query.
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    Unused Gift Cards sold on ebay query. 10th Jul 18 at 11:59 AM
    Hi folks,

I was just wondering how listings like the following work

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-Gift-Card-Voucher-UK-45-Code-only-Please-read-full-description/202360293730?hash=item2f1d9d0962:g:ymkAAOSwhIZbGpJ S

I don't understand the ins and outs, but surely listings like this are dodgy?

First of all, surely supplying codes digitally must be against some rules of ebay, and secondly, why would the code not be sent until the 29th August whether you buy it now or a few days before that date?

I'm asking this out of curiosity more than anything. It just all seems a bit sketchy and scammy to me.
Page 1
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 10th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    Gary123456790
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    It is dodgy - the date thing will be so that you are too late to raise a claim. And digital goods are not allowed on ebay anyway.

Lots of their items say they come from China - i'm not sure if it is a hacked/sold account or what but its not good - should be reported to ebay.
    • sebsy
    • By sebsy 10th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    sebsy
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    Yeah I've had a read of the policy once I found it in the meantime, and see it states these items must be physical and sent through post, not a code in an ebay message, which is what I thought should surely be the case.

Have reported them anyway.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 10th Jul 18, 12:37 PM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 4,483 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:37 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:37 PM
    Total scam - Do you honestly think someone has thousands of pounds worth of Amazon vouchers to sell legally ?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/steampunk_avenue
    • sebsy
    • By sebsy 10th Jul 18, 12:44 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    sebsy
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:44 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:44 PM
    Well, no, clearly I don't which is why I actually say a few times in my op that it must be a scam and dodgy and was asking out of curiosity really more how they are allowed to be listed than anything.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 10th Jul 18, 2:55 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:55 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:55 PM
    I reported also - he may get them removed if enough folk report the items.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 11th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    It!!!8217;s dodgy to the max!
    I hate people that con people!
    Reported too!
    • tomvox
    • By tomvox 11th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    tomvox
    • 11th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    Certainly odd. It looks like lots of us have reported the listings but they still appear to be live.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 11th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    He has already scammed 680+, I think I should quit my job!
    • sebsy
    • By sebsy 11th Jul 18, 10:35 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    sebsy
    In my spare time today, I've been going after this seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-100-Gift-Card-Voucher-Please-read-full-description/263809546516?hash=item3d6c463914:g:1vAAAOSw2ilambZ 4

Had three Amazon 100 gift cards for sale at 87. All with code to be sent via ebay message some time in October.

Spoke to Live Chat and they all got pretty quickly taken down.

He relisted one at 93 for some time in July but still as a code sent via message, so got that one taken down as well.

Now he has relisted again at 91 and he's actually listened and put it as a physical card, but won't be sent until a month down the line.

Spoken to live chat again and will see what happens. I don't see any need or reason why the gift card could not be sent immediately upon payment unless you are scamming and leaving delivery until a time by which it is too late to open a dispute. I'm not sure if that would work as it is listed as estimated delivery time of a few days in August after the item end date but just seems suspicious still. I mean, obviously the fact all his previous listings were clearly scammy will make this one suspicious anyway.

Perhaps he genuinely didn't know the policies, but I doubt that he doesn't genuinely know what he's doing with every fibre of my being.

I also mentioned during live chat that if you do a simple search of 'amazon gift cards' most of the listings are for 'code only' but it seems the special team ebay have for this sort of thing don't actually do much unless you get in touch with them over every dodgy item. Why they wouldn't just keep an eye on a sellers profile when it's clear they are selling scammy cards is beyond me, as they just put the items back up immediately.

They could surely just get rid of every amazon gift card listing by doing a simple search but nevermind.
    Last edited by sebsy; 11-07-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Jul 18, 6:35 AM
    • 12,303 Posts
    • 8,301 Thanks
    theonlywayisup

Now he has relisted again at 91 and he's actually listened and put it as a physical card, but won't be sent until a month down the line.

Spoken to live chat again and will see what happens. I don't see any need or reason why the gift card could not be sent immediately upon payment unless you are scamming and leaving delivery until a time by which it is too late to open a dispute. I'm not sure if that would work as it is listed as estimated delivery time of a few days in August after the item end date but just seems suspicious still. I mean, obviously the fact all his previous listings were clearly scammy will make this one suspicious anyway.

Perhaps he genuinely didn't know the policies, but I doubt that he doesn't genuinely know what he's doing with every fibre of my being.

I also mentioned during live chat that if you do a simple search of 'amazon gift cards' most of the listings are for 'code only' but it seems the special team ebay have for this sort of thing don't actually do much unless you get in touch with them over every dodgy item. Why they wouldn't just keep an eye on a sellers profile when it's clear they are selling scammy cards is beyond me, as they just put the items back up immediately.

They could surely just get rid of every amazon gift card listing by doing a simple search but nevermind.
    Originally posted by sebsy
    If the seller is now sending a physical item then it doesn't matter the date of delivery (apropos a buyer getting their money back) as eBay cases are based on the "actual or latest estimated" date of delivery. If you buy a physical item (as long as it is one that isn't prohibited) then you get eBay protection for 30 days after the "actual or latest estimated" delivery.
    • lindens
    • By lindens 12th Jul 18, 8:19 AM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    lindens
    just checked and he is still selling codes
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 12th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    If you can be bothered and dont mind your money being in the ether for a few weeks buy all the gift cards and open dispute 8 days afterwards - you will get your money back.
    • sebsy
    • By sebsy 12th Jul 18, 1:44 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    sebsy
    Hold on, are you suggesting someone buy all the cards and raise a dispute after 8 days regardless of the state of the order? I do hope not!

Either way this seems like a terrible idea that could possibly backfire, so I wouldn't adovcate this at all.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 12th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    Click buy it now, dont pay for the item - there is no item, only a code that the seller will send a week after its stated on the auction, which is also against the ebay rules.

I have a spare ebay account....i'll do it......!!!!!! you have to pay immediately.
    Last edited by foxy-stoat; 12-07-2018 at 3:37 PM.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 12th Jul 18, 4:19 PM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 1,947 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    What would you be actually trying to achieve, by potentially messing your eBay account up (which are linked by the way, if used on the same machine)
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 14th Jul 18, 4:20 PM
    • 2,372 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    zerog
    I have bought many amazon voucher codes on ebay with no problems. The ones linked to in this thread are clearly scams, but after some practice you can easily identify who is a scammer and who isn't. Most of the time I am sent the code within an hour after paying.

I once won an auction where the seller said he wouldn't send the code for 2 months as he had yet to receive it (he claimed it was going to be a bonus from work or something)... so I didn't pay for 2 months. After 2 months, he messaged me with a photo of a gift card with half of the code covered up. I paid and he sent the rest of the code, which worked.

He then admitted that he hoped the winner would have paid immediately as he needed the money. Whether he would have scammed me if I had paid straight away is a question that doesn't need to be answered.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,328Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin