Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • monkey74
    • By monkey74 10th Jul 18, 11:29 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 3Thanks
    monkey74
    Buying a house, do I really need a solicitor?
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:29 AM
    Buying a house, do I really need a solicitor? 10th Jul 18 at 11:29 AM
    I am buying a house from my good friend of many years on Monday morning at the land registry office in Durham. It is a cash purchase, Freehold property in Chilton, all the searches are done, there is no mortgage or estate agent involved. Is it really necessary to involve a solicitor given the prices they charge?
Page 1
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    • 7,873 Posts
    • 23,431 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    I would, mostly as a house purchase is a useful trigger to do a full legal overhaul - Will & life insurance for example, and, while it's easy to say "all done" - a solicitor will check.
    Many friendships can't take the weight of a house purchase - I really would leave as much as I could to the professionals in case anything "emerged". Oh and it never hurts to have the money trail bombproofed, if only to squash flat any humourist who might suggest that having that much cash was questionable.
    Yes, they cost money, but the peace of mind they can bring is usually worth it. As whatever they miss you can sue them for, whereas if you've missed out something, Whoops.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 8,024 Posts
    • 8,274 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    If you're completing it on Monday and have done the searches, why at this stage are you thinking of getting a solicitor involved?
    • monkey74
    • By monkey74 10th Jul 18, 11:52 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    monkey74
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:52 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:52 AM
    we are using the same searches from when my friend bought it, nothing has changed since
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 8,024 Posts
    • 8,274 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    Apart from anything else, it's kind of short notice for a solicitor to do it all in the 3 working days between now and completion.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 10th Jul 18, 1:45 PM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 2,603 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:45 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:45 PM
    Have a read of the land registry form and accompanying guidance at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/registered-titles-whole-transfer-tr1

For example note from the guidance that you will need a witness to the signature, and it seems that land registry staff won't act as witness.

Using a conveyancer is not mandatory but given that houses are worth a substantial sum of money using one may be wise.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 10th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 3,659 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    we are using the same searches from when my friend bought it, nothing has changed since
    Originally posted by monkey74
    How long ago did your friend buy the house?

For example, how do you know that a developer hasn't recently put in a planning application to build 500 houses on your doorstep?
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

714Posts Today

7,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin