Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 10th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 19Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    Car released from garage without authority
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    Car released from garage without authority 10th Jul 18 at 9:57 AM
    Good morning - New on here, and my first thread

I have a Landrover Discovery 4, 2012 54k miles. Broke down in France. Got in touch with English transport guy via a web site in France. He agreed to transport to Landrover dealer in UK for xx amount - nothing signed, and stayed at our place for few days..got on well

Delivered car to main dealer. It has been there for 10 weeks while I have been wrangling with Landrover over warranties..contribuitions etc... Dealer had no problem with holding vehicle there for me

Meanwhile, in France wrote off my other car when lorry pulled across me on motorway forcing me into barriers, and cleared off. Anyway, was a write off, got paid out, and told they would collect it.

8 weeks later no collection. Phoned insurance for update. Told they had to arrange for it to come back to UK. At the time the transport guy who recovered my Landrover to UK was staying for few days as was collecting cars near us. He had a spare place on his transporter, so I suggested to insurance that maybe he could recover it back to UK. They called him and all arranged and off he went, after we had agreed that he would use their payment to cover my cost...so we were quits

Something didn't ring right with this transport guy..gut feeling, so 2 weeks ago I phoned Landrover dealer and instructed them to only deal with myself, and specifically not to deal with the transport guy, or his company

Imagine my shock, when I phoned the Landrover dealer yesterday to inform them that I had arranged for a friend to collect my car from them, and was informed that someone had collected it last week!!

I asked who had signed for it, and they told me it was the guy from the transport company, who I had specifically told them not to deal with, and they had not even contacted me for authorisation! No receipt signed or anything. They said “well he had the correct paperwork” which was a photo of the front page of the log book I had sent him for when he initially transported it to UK

Told them that they were liable and that it was down to them to recover my car. They would check with the manager, who was off yesterday, and come back to me – No call back so far

So….as far as I am concerned, the dealer is liable, due to negligence, on the following points;

• They released the vehicle without my authorisation, and without any correct paperwork
    • I specifically informed them not to deal with anyone except myself, and in particular not the transport guy or his company – (I have voice recording of the conversation)

I have logged this with my local police station, and have a crime reference number, as my vehicle has been stolen, taken without my permission, but they think it might be a civil matter??? They are forwarding the report to the county where the vehicle was taken from, and they will decide if civil case or not

Am correct in my thinking, and how should I progress ?

Thanks in advance
Page 5
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 12th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    His argument is that he hadn't received an invoice/request for payment for the first job even though it was done months previously.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    They are not connected

All it was, is that he had an empty place, and I said it would be good if I could ask my insurance company if he could transport the written off car back to UK for them, resulting in him earning for an empty place on his lorry, which he would then take as payment for transporting my Land Rover back to the UK - simple - done him a favour and he done me a favour
    • photome
    • By photome 12th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    • 13,601 Posts
    • 9,099 Thanks
    photome

When I found out that they had let him take my car, without my authorisation or relevant paperwork etc..I was told by a solicitor friend, that the first thing to do was to log it with the police, so I have a crime ref in place. I did not want to contact the transport guy, as was worried and wary of discussing anything with him – if someone burgled your house, and you found out who it was, would you contact them,
    or would you go to police and start down the correct channels ???

OP, are your really expecting us to believe any of this?

I’m not asking anyone to believe me or not, I just wanted some constructive advice
    Originally posted by Johnnyboywdz

But you havent gone down the correct channels as you havent informed your insurer.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 12th Jul 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    eschaton
    Can't believe how many people on here are asking things that are clearly laid out in my initial post ??
    Please read before asking, as I seem to be going round in cirlces - Thanks

You certainly are going round in circles and will continue to do so.

Please read what you are posting and stop wasting our time.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 12th Jul 18, 4:46 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    They are not connected

All it was, is that he had an empty place, and I said it would be good if I could ask my insurance company if he could transport the written off car back to UK for them, resulting in him earning for an empty place on his lorry, which he would then take as payment for transporting my Land Rover back to the UK - simple - done him a favour and he done me a favour
    Sounds highly irregular. Still doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't take a payment by A N Other only when I could invoice both parties. There's also the added aspect of Liability insurance while the cars are being transported.

Are you sure he isn't holding the car because you haven't paid him? When it comes to valuable goods I wouldn't go via informal arrangements. Leaves you too exposed to all sorts of issues. No way I would hand over my car to someone without a proper invoice that made his responsible to take care of the property and ensuring that the transporter had proper insurances - Goods in Transit and liability insurance.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Jul 18, 7:16 PM
    • 5,457 Posts
    • 4,102 Thanks
    sheramber
    They are not connected

f he could transport the written off car back to UK for them, resulting in him earning for an empty place on his lorry, which he would then take as payment for transporting my Land Rover back to the UK - simple - done him a favour and he done me a favour

That does not make sense

he was due £x from you for transporting your landrover

He was due £y from the insurance company for transporting the car.

You say yourself he would earn money for the empty space on his lorry so that payment was all his by right.

If that was used to cover your bill then he did not get paid for the empty space on his lorry.

he is due all the money for the empty space on his lorry AND payment from you for transporting the landrover.

He is due £x + £y not £y - £x.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 12th Jul 18, 9:17 PM
    • 13,630 Posts
    • 8,641 Thanks
    arcon5
    So have you phoned him yet?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 32,928 Posts
    • 20,737 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Any news OP ?
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 19th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I think he's gone
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 19th Jul 18, 12:31 PM
    • 2,427 Posts
    • 4,034 Thanks
    k3lvc
    I think he's gone
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Suspect the 'transport guy' might have caught up with him
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    • 32,928 Posts
    • 20,737 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I think he's gone
    Originally posted by bertiewhite

Yes I think he has, a shame really as I was looking forward to the final part of the events.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,428Posts Today

6,634Users online

Martin's Twitter