Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 10th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 19Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    Car released from garage without authority
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    Car released from garage without authority 10th Jul 18 at 9:57 AM
    Good morning - New on here, and my first thread

I have a Landrover Discovery 4, 2012 54k miles. Broke down in France. Got in touch with English transport guy via a web site in France. He agreed to transport to Landrover dealer in UK for xx amount - nothing signed, and stayed at our place for few days..got on well

Delivered car to main dealer. It has been there for 10 weeks while I have been wrangling with Landrover over warranties..contribuitions etc... Dealer had no problem with holding vehicle there for me

Meanwhile, in France wrote off my other car when lorry pulled across me on motorway forcing me into barriers, and cleared off. Anyway, was a write off, got paid out, and told they would collect it.

8 weeks later no collection. Phoned insurance for update. Told they had to arrange for it to come back to UK. At the time the transport guy who recovered my Landrover to UK was staying for few days as was collecting cars near us. He had a spare place on his transporter, so I suggested to insurance that maybe he could recover it back to UK. They called him and all arranged and off he went, after we had agreed that he would use their payment to cover my cost...so we were quits

Something didn't ring right with this transport guy..gut feeling, so 2 weeks ago I phoned Landrover dealer and instructed them to only deal with myself, and specifically not to deal with the transport guy, or his company

Imagine my shock, when I phoned the Landrover dealer yesterday to inform them that I had arranged for a friend to collect my car from them, and was informed that someone had collected it last week!!

I asked who had signed for it, and they told me it was the guy from the transport company, who I had specifically told them not to deal with, and they had not even contacted me for authorisation! No receipt signed or anything. They said “well he had the correct paperwork” which was a photo of the front page of the log book I had sent him for when he initially transported it to UK

Told them that they were liable and that it was down to them to recover my car. They would check with the manager, who was off yesterday, and come back to me – No call back so far

So….as far as I am concerned, the dealer is liable, due to negligence, on the following points;

• They released the vehicle without my authorisation, and without any correct paperwork
    • I specifically informed them not to deal with anyone except myself, and in particular not the transport guy or his company – (I have voice recording of the conversation)

I have logged this with my local police station, and have a crime reference number, as my vehicle has been stolen, taken without my permission, but they think it might be a civil matter??? They are forwarding the report to the county where the vehicle was taken from, and they will decide if civil case or not

Am correct in my thinking, and how should I progress ?

Thanks in advance
Page 4
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Jul 18, 8:26 AM
    • 2,540 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Not if he'd been asked to hold it pending a decision by the owner. This wouldn't be the only thing about the story that is odd, probably why the police do not want to get involved. They have experience of people trying to BS them.

The OP seems to have done a runner, so seems like we are just arguing for the sake of it now, how unlike the motoring sub forum
    Originally posted by Nobbie1967
    Well they are involved as he claims to have a crime number. In that case it’s a simple job to visit the recovery operator and recover the car.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 12th Jul 18, 9:45 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    Let's sum up:

You're "living" in France with a Landrover that requires some work to be done by a UK dealer and just so happen to know a guy that will transport it back for you.

You let this apparent stranger stay at yours, not once but twice (possibly more?). Who does this?

He delivers your LR without issue, presumably he's been paid? You then get him to deliver your second car back to the UK so that your insurer can assess it. Again he delivers this OK, to where exactly?

Out of the blue, you decide that you no longer trust the guy but instead of cancelling the delivery job for some reason you decide to contact the dealership that holds your LR and tell them not to deal with him, then for no apparent reason he turns up and collect your car. Really!

Finally, instead of actually doing the most obvious and sensible thing and contact the transport guy to see where your car is at and why he picked it up you decide to go straight to the police and to top that off, not involve your insurer.

OP, are your really expecting us to believe any of this?
    Originally posted by neilmcl

Let's sum up:

You're "living" in France with a Landrover that requires some work to be done by a UK dealer and just so happen to know a guy that will transport it back for you.

I am not living in France. We have a holiday home there, which has a separate house for B&B.

Main dealer in France was not at all helpful, just informing me, without any diagnostics etc… that it needed a new engine, circa £18k

We contacted an English recovery guy, via an agent, who turned up on a Saturday. HGV’s are not permitted to drive on Sundays in France, and as he seemed a decent guy, we said he could stay over until Monday, when he collected car from French dealer, transporting it back to the UK for us. He had contacted the UK Land Rover dealer, and it was arranged for it to be delivered there, which it was

You let this apparent stranger stay at yours, not once but twice (possibly more?). Who does this?

We got on really well with the lorry driver, sharing dinner with him, and I helped him with some work on his lorry, whilst he helped me with some jobs around the place. He does a lot of car transportation through France, and we said, as we had the space, he could stop over if he was passing our way in future

He delivers your LR without issue, presumably he's been paid? You then get him to deliver your second car back to the UK so that your insurer can assess it. Again he delivers this OK, to where exactly?
    He was back down our way couple of weeks ago, so we said he could stay over en route to help him out.

We still had the written off car on our land, which by now had been there over 8 weeks, even though the insurance told me that they would arrange collection within a few days. The claim had all been settled within days of the claim being reported.

I chased them up, as did not want it stored on my land anymore, as was the property of the insurance company now

They now said that it was tricky as would have to be transported back to UK. After discussing with the lorry driver, who was at our place, we agreed that I would ask the insurance company if he could transport it back for them, as he had a spare space on his lorry, and that he would take this as payment for transporting my Landrover back earlier. Insurance company phoned him, and it was agreed. He outstayed his welcome and finally left after I had told him it was time he was on his way. He left and the car was returned to insurance company in UK

Out of the blue, you decide that you no longer trust the guy but instead of cancelling the delivery job for some reason you decide to contact the dealership that holds your LR and tell them not to deal with him, then for no apparent reason he turns up and collect your car. Really!

After having the lorry guy stay at ours for longer than was agreed, and seeing his ‘true colours’ my wife and I started to not trust what he was saying…lot of stories etc…. seemed he was involved in a lot of seemingly ‘dodgy’ things, and had fingers in a lot of pies, which we were not comfortable knowing about

When he finally left, I phoned the dealer in UK, and told them that I wanted them only to deal with myself, and specifically not the lorry driver, or his transport company.

Finally, instead of actually doing the most obvious and sensible thing and contact the transport guy to see where your car is at and why he picked it up you decide to go straight to the police and to top that off, not involve your insurer.
    When I found out that they had let him take my car, without my authorisation or relevant paperwork etc..I was told by a solicitor friend, that the first thing to do was to log it with the police, so I have a crime ref in place. I did not want to contact the transport guy, as was worried and wary of discussing anything with him – if someone burgled your house, and you found out who it was, would you contact them, or would you go to police and start down the correct channels ???

I’m not asking anyone to believe me or not, I just wanted some constructive advice
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 12th Jul 18, 9:51 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    It's not been stolen
    You instructed him to take it.

You didn't think to contact him and tell him you don't need him now?
    Originally posted by arcon5

As I have said previously - I did not instruct him to take my car from the dealership in the UK - He recovered it them, and then after getting to know the guy better, we felt uneasy about him. I contacted the uk dealership and told them to only deal with myself and definitely not him - simple
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 12th Jul 18, 9:53 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    The "correct channels" in the first instance is to speak to the "transport guy" and find out what's happening.

The whole story tbh smells a bit iffy to me.

If someone stole something from you, you would first go to police to report it surely, even if you knew who the thief was ??
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    • 2,540 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Let's sum up:

I am not living in France. We have a holiday home there, which has a separate house for B&B.

Main dealer in France was not at all helpful, just informing me, without any diagnostics etc… that it needed a new engine, circa £18k

We contacted an English recovery guy, via an agent, who turned up on a Saturday. HGV’s are not permitted to drive on Sundays in France, and as he seemed a decent guy, we said he could stay over until Monday, when he collected car from French dealer, transporting it back to the UK for us. He had contacted the UK Land Rover dealer, and it was arranged for it to be delivered there, which it was

We got on really well with the lorry driver, sharing dinner with him, and I helped him with some work on his lorry, whilst he helped me with some jobs around the place. He does a lot of car transportation through France, and we said, as we had the space, he could stop over if he was passing our way in future

He was back down our way couple of weeks ago, so we said he could stay over en route to help him out.

We still had the written off car on our land, which by now had been there over 8 weeks, even though the insurance told me that they would arrange collection within a few days. The claim had all been settled within days of the claim being reported.

I chased them up, as did not want it stored on my land anymore, as was the property of the insurance company now

They now said that it was tricky as would have to be transported back to UK. After discussing with the lorry driver, who was at our place, we agreed that I would ask the insurance company if he could transport it back for them, as he had a spare space on his lorry, and that he would take this as payment for transporting my Landrover back earlier. Insurance company phoned him, and it was agreed. He outstayed his welcome and finally left after I had told him it was time he was on his way. He left and the car was returned to insurance company in UK

After having the lorry guy stay at ours for longer than was agreed, and seeing his ‘true colours’ my wife and I started to not trust what he was saying…lot of stories etc…. seemed he was involved in a lot of seemingly ‘dodgy’ things, and had fingers in a lot of pies, which we were not comfortable knowing about

When he finally left, I phoned the dealer in UK, and told them that I wanted them only to deal with myself, and specifically not the lorry driver, or his transport company.

When I found out that they had let him take my car, without my authorisation or relevant paperwork etc..I was told by a solicitor friend, that the first thing to do was to log it with the police, so I have a crime ref in place. I did not want to contact the transport guy, as was worried and wary of discussing anything with him – if someone burgled your house, and you found out who it was, would you contact them, or would you go to police and start down the correct channels ???

I’m not asking anyone to believe me or not, I just wanted some constructive advice
    Originally posted by Johnnyboywdz
    It’s like plot of a bad B movie.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 12th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    after we had agreed that he would use their payment to cover my cost...so we were quits

Surely the sum he received for transporting the car to the UK was his payment from the insurance company for the job. How would that cover a sum that you owed him?

Why did you owe him money?
    Have you not paid him anything for transporting your Landrover back to UK?
    Originally posted by sheramber

He had an empty space on his lorry, so when insurance agreed he could transport their written off car back to them, it was money for nothing, which he agreed would cover my initial costs. He still made on the deal as he charged the insurance company a lot more than he had quoted myself - Nothing was signed with him, as was an amicable arrangement etc...
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 12th Jul 18, 10:04 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    What do you mean by this?

"They called him and all arranged and off he went, after we had agreed that he would use their payment to cover my cost...so we were quits"

If at any point while he was staying with you you suggested that he would pick up your Land Rover then you'll have a hard time proving TWOC. In fact he could argue you did - the photocopy of the documents might assist him. Why did you not recover this from him?
    Originally posted by Mercdriver

We had agreed that he would recover the car back to UK main dealer ONLY - He has since taken my car from this dealer, without my permission or consent, instructions of which I had expressed to the dealer, which they totally ignored, even though a note was on my file
    Hence simple to prove TWOC from dealer, especially as all conversations with the dealer are recorded

The only 'document' he had was a photo of the front page of my V5
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 12th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    ...and how did they know it was ready for collection, if the dealer were storing it while warranty discussions were ongoing?
    Originally posted by AdrianC

It wasn't ready for collection - The work had not been done on the car, as I was wrangling with Land Rover HQ over liability for a blown engine which had only covered 54k miles!
    I had told the dealer this and they had agreed to keep it in their compound until we were ready to proceed

I phoned them earlier this week with the intention of informing them that I had arranged for a friend to collect the still unrepaired car from them at the weekend, to transport back to me so I could have it repaired at a significantly lower price that the one Land Rover had quoted - that was when I was informed that they had handed it over to someone else last week!
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 12th Jul 18, 10:16 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    But what if he just said that the OP had told him to collect the car? Then it becomes he says he said. The fact that he had stayed with the OP on two occasions would muddy the waters too.

Surely the main issue is the fact that I specifically instructed the dealer not to deal with anyone else apart from myself, and especially not this transport guy or his company
    He just turned up with a photo of the front page of the V5 and they just handed him my car, without even checking the note on my file with my instructions ???

That surely is TWOC on his part, including deception, and negligence and irresponsibility on the dealers part ??
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Jul 18, 10:16 AM
    • 11,968 Posts
    • 8,715 Thanks
    neilmcl
    He had an empty space on his lorry, so when insurance agreed he could transport their written off car back to them, it was money for nothing, which he agreed would cover my initial costs. He still made on the deal as he charged the insurance company a lot more than he had quoted myself - Nothing was signed with him, as was an amicable arrangement etc...
    Seems odd that you hadn't already paid him for the delivery of your Landrover that happened months before. Also, if the insurance had settled much earlier then why didn't you just pay him out of your own pocket?

Also, why haven't you informed your insurer?
    Last edited by neilmcl; 12-07-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 12th Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    Sure, but he's got documentary evidence of previous similar contractual arrangements.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

No he has not - all he had was a photo of the front page of the V5 - that was all
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 12th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    Seems odd that you hadn't already paid him for the delivery of your Landrover that happened months before. Also, if the insurance had settled much earlier then why didn't you just pay him out of your own pocket?

Also, why haven't you informed your insurer?

Wish people would read the post correctly - the insurance pay out was not for my Land Rover but for the other car which was written off whilst in France - this pay out was used to replace that car

I was still waiting on an invoice for the transport costs, but as he was travelling through France had not had time to do me one. Then the situation with transporting the written off car back to UK came up, which he agreed to use to cover my costs

I am not using my insurance when it is the dealers responsibility, and should therefore go through their insurance
    • Johnnyboywdz
    • By Johnnyboywdz 12th Jul 18, 10:31 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnnyboywdz
    Can't believe how many people on here are asking things that are clearly laid out in my initial post ??
    Please read before asking, as I seem to be going round in cirlces - Thanks
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Jul 18, 11:19 AM
    • 11,968 Posts
    • 8,715 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I am not using my insurance when it is the dealers responsibility, and should therefore go through their insurance
    You are still required to inform your insurer.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    • 11,968 Posts
    • 8,715 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Can't believe how many people on here are asking things that are clearly laid out in my initial post ??
    Please read before asking, as I seem to be going round in cirlces - Thanks
    But you haven't been clear, far from it.

Your story is so full of holes an entire Thai school football team could easily get lost in it.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 12-07-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Jul 18, 11:29 AM
    • 2,540 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    How far away is the Land Rover dealer?
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 12th Jul 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I don't understand how your payment to him for transporting your LR to UK is related to insurance paying him to transport the wreck. They are two separate jobs with two separate invoices.

Perhaps he is still expecting payment from you? I don't see how the insurance paying him to transport the wreck relieves you of the responsibility to pay him for transporting your LR.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    • 11,968 Posts
    • 8,715 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I don't understand how your payment to him for transporting your LR to UK is related to insurance paying him to transport the wreck. They are two separate jobs with two separate invoices.

Perhaps he is still expecting payment from you? I don't see how the insurance paying him to transport the wreck relieves you of the responsibility to pay him for transporting your LR.
    His argument is that he hadn't received an invoice/request for payment for the first job even though it was done months previously.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Is this thread one of those that will keep giving?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Jul 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,511 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Car 54
    Forgive me if these have been answered already.

Why did the "transport guy" carry out the original job, for a total stranger, without payment up front? That doesn't sound like anyone I've ever met in the recovery industry.

Why did he have a copy of the V5?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

2,574Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin