Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 10th Jul 18, 6:06 AM
    • 147Posts
    • 156Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    Job hunting - go back to previous job or somewhere new?
    • 10th Jul 18, 6:06 AM
    Job hunting - go back to previous job or somewhere new? 10th Jul 18 at 6:06 AM
    I'm pretty much going to loose my job soon because I can't reach their extreme standards, too much for one person to and I'm failing my targets or things are happening against my favour.

There's also some people who has got me in trouble for things that weren't my fault , I'm being made out as a pair by management and also they talk horrid to me all the time.
    Anyway I'm debating whether to re-apply for the job I had before my current one. At the time I hated it but now i really miss it and want to go back to their ways of doing things.

My current job

Pros of *trying* to stay at my job;
    - 4 long days , 1 half day
    - paid over time
    - good system to keep EYFS observations updated

Cons;

- Meant to be 2 half days and 3 long days
    - Always stick on 12:30 - 6:30pm shift on fridays so i never really get a "half day" been like this for 8+ weeks and my half days are always changed to this time
    -Get asked to stay on until 7pm when the time they ask at is 4pm
    - never get out on time
    -once when i was on a 1pm finish, i couldn't get out until 2:45pm as no cover and manager didn't give a !!!!
    - It's all about cleaning and looking perfect for OFSTED & not being with the children
    - It's mixed age group (2yrs - 4yrs) and i struggle with the age range

- Manager talks to me like absolute dirt
    - half hour lunches to make up for half days
    - never get time to go out the room or even in the room to update children's eyfs development books.
    Each time i get them out to do i'm either told to put it down or i need to help a group of children or clean
    - Not allowed to eat with the children or to 'eat the left overs' unless we 'hide' in the corner eating
    - managers try to make me out as a liar.
    * not supportive of my disability or family issues

**Now I'm thinking of going back to my old job which i had before i moved to my current job.**

My previous job

Pros;
    * EYFS development targets are on tablet & can save observations in draft so when I do get 5 mins free i can upload easily whilst being in the room
    * less cleaning, more being with children
    * same wage as current job
    * 15 min am break , 45 min lunch
    * free lunch when sat with children on top of 45 min lunch
    * I get on with the people in the room and we had some good times & room manager was really supportive & caring especially through family stuff
    * Less pointless paperwork
    * I can have more fun as it's chilled
    * each room is dedicated to 1 age group

* no extreme , non-attainable goals for staff to reach, just as long as your excelling in your job you don't have to do stupid !!!! like "praising another staff member or supporting their successes" , "finds new ways to improve the room" (when the room is run fantastically already, nothing needs to be changed) or "having small group times" when I wasn't actually there.

Cons:
    * Overtime is paid in "total in leu" so if i had 5 hours of overtime i could leave my day 5 hours early etc. and NOT in pay
    * some of the staff were rude to me but now i wont take it to heart like i did before
    * They did try to push me out but i was undergoing a lot of issues myself
    * there is mis-communication , often. but stuff i can deal with

Or I can look for another job but I didn't want to work weekends or holidays as I see family.

What's your advice?
    Wedding Fund: £1107.23 / £2,500 Xmas'18: £100.00 / £300.00 Emergency Fund: £100.00 / £1,000H2B ISA: £30.50
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Jul 18, 8:08 AM
    • 6,887 Posts
    • 14,978 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:08 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:08 AM
    So one doesnt support your disability and you hate it, and one tried to push you out and people were rude to you.

Sorry to say neither of them sound like a good fit, and if the previous job tried to push you out the chances of them taking you back on are slim to none.

Im assuming you work in a day nursery based on your references to the EYFS and the times you work. Why not look for a job in a school nursery or reception environment? You wont get overtime as the hours are fixed, but often there are opportunity for TAs to do breakfast club or lunch time duty for extra money. Youll finish earlier and get the holidays off you want.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Jul 18, 8:48 AM
    • 9,370 Posts
    • 7,038 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:48 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:48 AM
    If you felt it necessary to leave your last job for pastures new, then think very hard about going back. I've always felt it to be a mistake, but its a personal decision.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 10th Jul 18, 8:51 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    Les79
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:51 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:51 AM
    It depends on what you value more to be honest, we can't really say what is best for you really.

One theme which seems to crop up, though, is the fact that BOTH places seemed to be trying to push you out in some way + staff members being unpleasant; sort of suggesting that it might be a wider issue either with the two employers being unpleasant or yourself and suitability for the job role/culture.

I just think that a lot of the pros and cons you describe is simply variability within the education sector. Some places have a different focus and value things differently (maybe one prefers to have a strong appearance, whereas the other wants to focus more on the children). Maybe time to think about what your own values are and seek a suitable role in line with that.

stupid !!!! like "praising another staff member or supporting their successes" , "finds new ways to improve the room" (when the room is run fantastically already, nothing needs to be changed) or "having small group times"
    by OP
    I don't like this part of your post. The phrase "stupid !!!!" in particular.

1. Praising other staff members + supporting their success is presumably something you should be doing as a default?! You are one big team delivering education to children, so how is that "stupid !!!!"? If one fails then you all fail... And if you don't support them, why are you expecting them to support you through your disability or family issues? (They may begrudgingly give you minimal support for the disability, given that it is a protected characteristic).

2. I can assure you that the room IS NOT "run fantastically already, nothing needs to be changed". That is a very narrow-minded view and, given you appear to be struggling to handle the current demands, you don't sound like the type of person who is an absolute perfectionist and running at almost peak efficiency (even in those circumstances things CAN be improved).

3. No idea what point you are making RE: "having small group times" - small groups allow more tailored support to children and has its own benefit within the classroom.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 10th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    • 6,819 Posts
    • 5,353 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    Op, could the issue be you? I'm reflecting on "I can have more fun and its chilled". It's a workplace not a social event.
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Jul 18, 9:11 AM
    • 17,564 Posts
    • 44,419 Thanks
    elsien
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:11 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:11 AM
    Op, could the issue be you? I'm reflecting on "I can have more fun and its chilled". It's a workplace not a social event.
    Originally posted by ohreally
    I'm slightly baffled by being disgruntled by having to hide in a corner to eat leftovers.
    Parent used to own a nursery and I can imagine her thoughts over staff snaffling the remains of the children's lunches. And cleaning was always part of the job role.

You say the 2-4 year age range doesn't suit you. If you're ruling that out you're ruling out most nursery jobs. What age does suit you?

What response have you had when you've more formally raised your concerns about the half days and being regularly asked to stay on at short notice. Do they know that you're not ok with it (barring emergencies.) if you've not spoken up you may be giving the impression it's ok. Otherwise, that's just poor management.
    Last edited by elsien; 10-07-2018 at 9:15 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 10th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    Going back rarely works - and what makes you think they'd have you back?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 10th Jul 18, 12:30 PM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 10,633 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:30 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:30 PM
    Did it once and vowed never to do it again.

The dynamics of the team changed and I was neither the 'new girl' or an 'old timer'.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 10th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 3,409 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    Look for a new job and do not go back. Close that chapter.
    Crikey I leave somewhere November, by January of the next year I was told the team I had left, had been disbanded anyway! Literally couple of months later all change.

For me Katie Hopkin!!!8217;s take in her book on whether you should go back to a previous workplace makes sense. I should refer to it more often!
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 10th Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    2-4 years is the ages we have in one room. I meant I can work where the room is based on one age group not 3 mixed in.

I do support staff and praise them always but don't see how i can proove thus

I don't mind cleaning but when Me and my team have been told that we need to start cleaning as soon as we walk in to the moment we leave , and with all 3 staff cleaning at the same time without one sitting with the children I don't see how we can sit down with children as much as we need to

The room runs really well and has a lot of things in place . There isn't anything more to add to it, rooms change anyway as and when things come up so it's already been dealt with.

Its poor management forgetting yo put people on shifts yesterday a girl was on until 6 but no one on 6.30-7 so she stayed on. Its just the way it is and wont change

We get so much waste and we do work such long hours
    Wedding Fund: £1107.23 / £2,500 Xmas'18: £100.00 / £300.00 Emergency Fund: £100.00 / £1,000H2B ISA: £30.50
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 20,736 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I wouldn't go back as I'm not sure the other employer is as mentioned a good fit for you.

Why not start afresh somewhere.
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 10th Jul 18, 5:58 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    No more child care places around . Don't want to give up . My old team is there and I talk to them frequently outside of work and see the room manager in my old room all the time.

They were shocked when i left ... I regret leaving.

I'd have to work weekends and don't really want to . Will do if I have to .
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 10th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    I'd like to start again .. I'll do some job hunting tonight
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 20,736 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I'd like to start again .. I'll do some job hunting tonight
    Originally posted by Charleyalmostking

First question to find out is if your allowed to go back, if they have replaced you then probably can't.
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 12th Jul 18, 5:54 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    I've asked for a transfer to another nursery of the nursery I currently work for. Manager seems really keen to take me on bit I need to wait for hr to respond
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,521Posts Today

7,484Users online

Martin's Twitter