Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Jul 18, 2:40 AM
    • 1,671Posts
    • 18,453Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 10th July 2018
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:40 AM
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 10th July 2018 10th Jul 18 at 2:40 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 2
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Jul 18, 9:25 AM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    Speky my DH always let me pay now & again - still does in fact. I agree with Tired Trophy that we live in an equal society...and good on her for offering x
  • archived user
    Morning all,

The girl from work phoned me last night with work related things. Once the work chat finished, the conversation went on to the dinner I was making and she wants to take me to a pizza place next week. Few things;

1. She's keen (we already know this). Perhaps too keen.
    2. Isn't it the man's job to take the other person out?
    3. If the above is true, I can't afford it!!

Anyway, I'm away for a coffee.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    Well I would think the one who arranged the date pays. I'm not too sure how dates work these days. On one hand I'd hate to date a man who squeaks when he walks but would hate him to spend a lot anyway. No grand gestures needed on my behalf!

Like I said yesterday, your living life dangerously if you work with her and excuse me for saying, you don't seem that keen.

TA I can only imagine the turmoil you must be in. I wish there was more we could do. Big hugs.

I have still yet to reclaim my kitchen. It still looks like a Chinese laundry. I couldn't do much yesterday as I had Diva and she slept half an hour all day and grizzled through the rest of it. I was mentally done in. Talking about Diva, it's her first birthday today. I'll see her this morning for a few minutes before she heads off on a day of fun with her Mummy and Daddy. Grump is working on Dandy. It's up and open and has taken over the garden for the time being.

Right, I'd best get started.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Jul 18, 9:29 AM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    Silver Oldie have a look at these for TVs:

Currys
    John Lewis

And for mobiles:

Which
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Jul 18, 9:33 AM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 23,502 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Speky I'd expect to share the cost, or agree that I'd pay one time and the other person the next.

But the fact that you are asking this makes me wonder a bit, you don't seem all that comfortable with this woman but please forgive me if I've spoken out of turn.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 10th Jul 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1,855 Posts
    • 22,573 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Good morning everybody,

Its certainly cooler here and quite cloudy.DH has just come with me to take the hound out across the road as my back still isnt right and I'm scared in case she pulls me.She doesn't normally pull but next door but ones cat taunts her chase me ,chase me.

Thank you so much to everyone who sent kind wishes for my friend,and also our back/ garden, though the latter seems a bit trivial compared to illness.JackieO, I know you have been in the same scary position as my friend so I shall reflect on that-you're always so busy and positive .You are all
    TA,it's always the night time when worry is at it's worst isn't it,then you feel grotty the next day through lack of sleep.Lots of hugs to you both.xx
    Your friendship seems to have followed a very similar path to mine,though I can't claim to have worked together for as long as you & your friend.I went to work in local government after sixth form and managed to get her on in our office during her uni long breaks but once she got her first job/married/children we only saw each other a couple of times a year till she retired and they moved closer.We were always prolific letter writers though,then email made it even easier
    Silver-oldie,it is all confusing isn't it.I suppose it depends whether you watch a lot of different channels,and whether you need a way to record programmes.A smart tv would let you catch up if you missed a prog and has apps on but would be dearer than a box. I think there's a techie board on here,perhaps more info on there?
    Gers glad mum is improving
    Bella that sounds nasty,hope it passes soon
    LW hugs to you and mister LW
    Nelski hope your 1st day working goes well but no overdoing it.Sounds like banana shopping can soon resume
    Holly good result with the sandals.
    Hugs to anyone I've missed

I'm not doing a great deal today,dont want to make my back worse so no cleaning apart from wiping the worktops down/light tidying. My best position is sat upright at the table ( where the lappie is )This is a bit dangerous though as I ordered a new remoska yesterday.In my defence its a grade b one from the lakeland outlet on the bay of e and was half the price of a new one and still guaranteed for 12 months.During the hot weather I've been trying to use the convection setting on the microwave but its fused twice doing that ,even tho the ordinary mw function works fine.Don't want that to pack up as it's built in
    Anyway better keep moving a bit,hope you all have the best day you can xxx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 10th Jul 18, 11:07 AM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 6,840 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Silver Oldie, could you take them one at a time, maybe do the tv first? Could you have a look in currys , maybe ask for a bit of help, explain that you don't want to buy today but get a bit of insight on a few, then go home and do a bit of googling, you could write down the names of a couple then read up, take a pen and paper.
    Last edited by whiteguineapig; 10-07-2018 at 11:20 AM.
  • archived user
    Silver-oldie we bought our telly from John Lewis. There delivery and level of service is second to none.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Jul 18, 11:32 AM
    • 3,925 Posts
    • 50,087 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    JackieO, it isn't a tick bite, I check for those. Probably just a mozzie bite that's gone bad, the joys of living on water.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 10,885 Posts
    • 119,727 Thanks
    LameWolf
    The girl from work phoned me last night with work related things. Once the work chat finished, the conversation went on to the dinner I was making and she wants to take me to a pizza place next week. Few things;

1. She's keen (we already know this). Perhaps too keen.
    2. Isn't it the man's job to take the other person out?
    3. If the above is true, I can't afford it!!
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    Just my perspective - in this day and age, both parties should be paying equally - possible turn-and-turn about. That's what Mr LW and I did when we started seeing each other, and if we're honest, it's what we still do.

I do wonder about the "keenness" though - and as you've said, if it all comes to nought, you still have to work with her.

JackieO, it isn't a tick bite, I check for those. Probably just a mozzie bite that's gone bad, the joys of living on water.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    We've both been bitten by horse-flies recently, and those things can inflict a nasty bite. One spiked me on my face, and another got Mr LW's hand, which swelled up horribly.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 10th Jul 18, 1:35 PM
    • 5,024 Posts
    • 48,788 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Good afternoon everybody.

Had a long walk this morning.....expected to meet OH on his way back from his walk (he drives and then walks) but no sign, so was not pleased as the whole thing was beyond me......I did make it back.....no option as hadn't brought my phone, still don't know why we didn't meet. We are now going out for lunch, as we have been married for 48 years today, which apparently should be celebrated?!

Hugs and kind thoughts to all who are suffering in one way or another, I wish, like others, that I could do more, but hopefully support will help somewhat.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 10th Jul 18, 2:03 PM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Happy Anniversary meanmarie and Mr mm.

Speky be honest with the young lady. Tell her that as you're buying your own place and you've had a few expensive social events lately you can't afford much more in the way of outings this month but if she's ok with paying her own way for now you can go for a meal (if you want to go obviously). It's better to speak the truth than to do stuff that you can't afford and end up in debt.

Sending hugs to LW, Mr & Mrs TA and of course Mum of Gers.

Hester could it be a horsefly bite? Those things are evil and do tend to blister. My friend went to the walk-in thinking he'd get some antibiotics for a similar kind of thing a few years back. He'd left it so long he actually ended up in hospital on a drip!

Silver-oldie am I right in thinking it's not the manufacturer of the items that's a problem, it's the applications that they offer? We no longer have Sky. If we didn't have the House Troll's game console I probably would have bought a smart tv but the games console acts as the "app site" for the old tv that we still have. Via the console (and I believe that smart tvs offer the same function) we can access netflix, youtube, that kind of thing. Netflix is a subscription site. I pay £7.99 per month so we can watch it on two devices. It tends to offer entire series of something to watch at once one after another and films too. Generally what I pay would mean one person could view through the tv downstairs and someone else could watch elsewhere. What it means for us is that my sister in Ireland can login and watch as well while I pay for it

You don't need freeview if your sky setup is still working (as opposed to broken not as opposed to not subscribing any more) as a skybox works as a freeview box when you don't pay for extra tv channels. You just won't have as many channels. Smartphone wise I'm not sure. I have an iphone as I run all the HT's stuff through it (he also has an iphone) so I can keep an eye on what he is up to. I seem to think Tesco have a fairly cheap network rate though. I read something recently and it may have been on here of someone finding their parent a pay as you go phone where the credit didn't vanish into thin air at the end of the month but was carried over? That would probably suit you more than a contract or top up a certain amount every month kind of agreement. If I've misunderstood then apologies.
    Weight loss 2018 18.5 lbs

October Grocery Challenge £138.20/£150
    November GC £136.91/£200
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Jul 18, 2:16 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 13,114 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all.
    It's not quite so hot today but really pleasant and we slept well last night, as there was a cooling breeze coming through the window
    This morning was spent in town, firstly juggling some money and then as I still have some birthday money left, looking for some more shorts ( it will probably rain now ) I managed to get 2 pairs and the best thing was that Mr Fix It paid, so I came home still clutching my money . We also met Mr Fix It's cousins, two different ones and their OH's, so we had to stop and catch up. I dragged Mr Fix It into the coffee shop as I was parched from all that chatting . We called in Li*l on the way home for the usual, milk etc. and my it was busy.
    This afternoon I want to bake a pineapple upside down cake and supervise Mr Fix It in making pork,apple and sage burgers with the leftover Sunday pork. If I can steel myself, there is also some ironing to do later .
    TA I am sending you my love and support. I am dreading the day when I too find myself in your shoes. I wish I could do more for you.
    Specky as others have suggested perhaps you could take it in turns to pay. We still do that depending on who has more money left at the end of the month
    MeanMarie nice to have you back. Happy anniversary too
    Nelski hope today goes well for you.
    Holly well done on the sandals
    Sending special hugs to those suffering with problems at present, including Gers' Mum, RosyReds'
    friend, SilverOldie, LW and Bellabella. Apologies if I have forgotten anyone, got brain fog again .
    Righty ho must make a start on that cake. TTFN

nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Jul 18, 4:07 PM
    • 16,422 Posts
    • 140,415 Thanks
    JackieO
    Speky I'd expect to share the cost, or agree that I'd pay one time and the other person the next.

But the fact that you are asking this makes me wonder a bit, you don't seem all that comfortable with this woman but please forgive me if I've spoken out of turn.
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    I too was wondering ,maybe sharing the cost as friends may cool things a bit as you don't want a 'bunny boiler ' although you obviously made a good impression on the young lady ,if in doubt Speky ask your Gran ,Gran's can spot a dodgy one a mile off (spoken as a Granny myself I have not been mistaken as a rule) My youngest DGD a couple of years ago was going out with a chap I just couldn't trust somehow. I have this thing about if folk look you in the eye when they are talking to you then you can usually suss them out. This chaps eyes were everywhere but where they should have been ,and there was just something that didn't sit right with me ,sure enough he was what turned out to be a bit of a wrong'un and a player as well and DGD was well shot of him eventually.

She is now engaged to a smashing chap called Tommy who adores her and they are getting wed in 2020, he gets my tick as I felt he was the one when I met him for the first time and they had only being going out for a couple of weeks I told my DD 'she will marry that one'
    So be firends first before taking things further You sound like an eminantly sensible chap and honesty is the best policy.

Silver-oldie, when you are looking around first ask on the techy board on here they are really lovely and helpful.
    Last year my desktop computer clock was running slow and I asked on there thinking it would have to go in for a repair and a smashing chap not only told me to check the battery in the tower thingy (I'm not very technical at all) but told me how much a new one would cost and how to get the old one out, and replace it Cost me £3.00 for a battery and I did the fix myself I didn't even know there was a battery in there
    They are a great bunch on there and they do have lots of patience with us slightly more mature ladies

Work out what you want in a TV and how much you will use it , same with a phone ,no point having a top of the range all singing,dancing one if you just want to make the occasional call or text.

Meanmarie Happy Anniversary, honey hope you have a good day.

Hester it sounds like a horsefly as they can be really nasty I use Anthisan on bites and a bit of calomine to take the itch away, horrible things and drive you mad with the irritation.

Bit cooler today thank goodness with a nice breeze to freshen it up a bit .

Have a good evening chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan £307.43 15th November £19.80 first shop of the month
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Jul 18, 4:18 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 17,503 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Thank you all for your advice, I really do appreciate it.

Some of you noted that I perhaps don't seem to keen myself. I'm conscious of this, I admit I'm not head over heels but I think that may be down to me being a bit relationship rusty and too used to having my own space and time. That's something I need to be more open minded about.

You're all awesome, do you know that? I appreciate each and every one of you.

Silver-Oldie - John Lewis are really good and chatting you through everything step-by-step. And I think they also have a good price guarantee too.
    Jackie - Grannies do have that special skill, I agree.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
  • archived user
    Specky...the modern working woman should pay her way.
    Say so....let's go dutch used to be the espression....my son asks " how are we paying for this?"....use collective language...

He said..."gold diggers are still a thing" !!!
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy
    Good job I'm married then...I haven't got a penny to my name..

I reclaim my kitchen workspace to find not long after a pair of stinky rubber tyres sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor.

I'm counting to 10...
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Jul 18, 5:06 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    ...I reclaim my kitchen workspace to find not long after a pair of stinky rubber tyres sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor.

I'm counting to 10...
    Originally posted by Judi
    I'd be going to at least 25, if not 50...
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 10th Jul 18, 7:57 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 8,595 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Thank you everyone for your advice,

We don't have a John Lewis here so went to Currys. I said I was only looking, and the young chap was very good.

I explained my Sky contract had come to an end. I would like a few more channels than I get through the sky box without paying and to be able to record would be a bonus. He didn't think I needed a smart tv and a humax freesat box with record for £179 would be what we needed. Wondered if any one has one? I have seen John Lewis charge the same but give a two year warranty, I could order online.

Forgot to ask if they are easy to connect, I'm not techie

Thanks
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    Silver Oldie most boxes nowadays are plug a couple of things in & away you go, there will be help on their website I would think, maybe even a helpline to speak to them before you order.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 10th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,331 Posts
    • 24,011 Thanks
    csarina2
    Silver-oldie, Humax is the box we have, its not difficult to set up, I set ours up when we bought it 9 years ago, they bring on new channels from time to time and its easy to update the box.

We record programmes on ours so we have something to watch if the general TV is rubbish. I can highly recommend Humax. I suggest you look at their web page, you can get reconditioned ones for a very reasonable amount.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 10th Jul 18, 10:40 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 6,840 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    we have humax as well, we have had it for a few years now though so its old and i'm not sure if things have changed, i am probably less techy than you though silver oldie so i know nothing about it, other half does everything

the network that your credit doesn't expire (or one of them) is 3 as other half has it on his phone, i think mine expires if i don't use it,
    i don't use my phone much for phone calls so make sure i use it now and again, i am on tesco mobile, and i think (but not sure if its still the case) that when you top up with £10 , it becomes £30 for 1 month, if you haven't used the extra after the month it goes back down to £10.
    please don't take this as true though, I am just so useless with technology, i'v only just learnt to text this year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,995Posts Today

8,632Users online

Martin's Twitter