Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • timefortea
    • By timefortea 9th Jul 18, 11:38 PM
    • 295Posts
    • 410Thanks
    timefortea
    Is there anything a buyer can do to hurry up a sale?
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:38 PM
    Is there anything a buyer can do to hurry up a sale? 9th Jul 18 at 11:38 PM
    I'm a FTB, my offer on a house was accepted a couple of months ago. One of the reasons given for choosing my offer over another asking price offer received on the same day was that I'm a FTB, renting on a rolling contract, so I'm not in a mad rush. Having said that, I love the house, and I want to get things moving if I can. My sellers found somewhere about a month ago, and as far as I know we're now waiting for their sellers to find somewhere. Is there anything I can do from the bottom of the chain to get the ball rolling, or do I just have to wait it out? I love the house (and like the sellers) so I don't want to jeopardise the purchase, I just feel like things have stalled a bit.
Page 1
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 9th Jul 18, 11:41 PM
    • 4,489 Posts
    • 6,228 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:41 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:41 PM
    It would be unwise to incur any expenses before a chain is completed. At most, find the solicitor and they surveyor you want to use, without instructing them. If you love the house, you'll have to wait. IMO - no harm in looking at no-chain properties you might also love. Some chains never complete.
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 9th Jul 18, 11:43 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    jimbo747
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:43 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:43 PM
    Nope, nowt you can do. Could be a week before everyone up the chain finds the house they want, could be a year. In 3 months time the people above you could get bored of the people above them, or their circumstances change, and they pull out, and the whole process starts again.
    • avacapri
    • By avacapri 10th Jul 18, 6:08 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    avacapri
    • 10th Jul 18, 6:08 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 6:08 AM
    is possible you could lose the house if the chain collapses (or face a longer delay)
    look after yourself and keep an eye on the market you may find something equally as nice
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 10th Jul 18, 6:37 AM
    • 9,920 Posts
    • 13,499 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 10th Jul 18, 6:37 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 6:37 AM
    Yes, of course.

Offer more k for the date you want.

Alternatively, you will pull out after DD/mm.
    • timefortea
    • By timefortea 10th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    timefortea
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    Thanks everyone. I already have a solicitor on standby, so looks like there!!!8217;s nothing else I can do. (I can!!!8217;t offer more , I!!!8217;m already at the top end of my budget, and daren!!!8217;t risk an ultimatum.) I am still keeping an eye on Rightmove, but nothing as nice as this one has come up.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 10th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 3,311 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    They accepted your offer over others because youre not in a rush. Id keep that in mind because it as much a part of your offer as the money. Id be seriously annoyed as a seller in those circumstances if my buyer started to pile on the pressure after a couple of months. If I was given an unltimatum at this stage Id probably put the property back on the market.

My advice is to just be patient and accept with zen like calm that you cant really control how long it will take.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Jul 18, 9:59 AM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:59 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:59 AM
    Unfortunately, as you are discovering, buying a house unless at auction is like making a film only less fun. There are long, boring periods of waiting around for someone else to do something interspersed with short bursts of activity. You can never relax and have to be ready to go at any time.

I always think the best way to deal with such situations where you have little or no control is distraction. Find ways to enjoy yourself and take your mind off property purchases in between keeping an eye on the market just in case. You might as well have fun as fret.

It is a good time of year to find houses, the weather is great, the days are long and the school holidays are not quite upon us (unless you know differently) You are in a great position as there is no chain below you and you are not stuck in contract with your LL. You can just give a month's notice and leave.

Good luck.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 10th Jul 18, 5:45 PM
    • 9,920 Posts
    • 13,499 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 10th Jul 18, 5:45 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 5:45 PM
    It is a good time of year to find houses, the weather is great, the days are long and the school holidays are not quite upon us (unless you know differently) ........
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    State schools yes, private no... e.g. (no, I didn't go there...)

https://www.harrow.ac.uk/opening-hours-term-dates.html
    Summer Term 2018

• Term dates: Monday 16th April Friday 29th June 2018
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Jul 18, 8:14 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Hence the rider, "unless you know differently", artful.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • timefortea
    • By timefortea 21st Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    timefortea
    Just to give you an update, exactly a week after I posted my question I got a phone call confirming that the chain is complete. So I didn't have long to wait after all. Fingers crossed it's all smooth sailing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

972Posts Today

6,791Users online

Martin's Twitter