Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • needaholiday
    • By needaholiday 9th Jul 18, 10:28 PM
    • 568Posts
    • 270Thanks
    needaholiday
    Insuring a propeety I don't live in
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:28 PM
    Insuring a propeety I don't live in 9th Jul 18 at 10:28 PM
    My mum passed away in March and my sister and I now own the property (not in our names yet but being sorted). The buildins insurance is due for renewal. My mothers husband lives at the property and we have told him he can stay there for as long as he wants. Current insurer can't renew the insurance as they can't put it in mine and my sisters name as we don't live there and they can't put it in her husbands name as he doesn't own the property. When I rang the current insurer earlier they put me through to someone else (different company) who said they would ring me back but they didn't.
    Anyone have any suggestions please?
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 18, 11:06 PM
    • 37,843 Posts
    • 21,987 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:06 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:06 PM
    Take out landlord insurance in the executors name initially - assuming probate granted (Don't wait for the renewal date - do it now!)

If there are problems then a local broker (not Swinton) should be able to ensure the property is properly insured prior to the full change of ownership
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-07-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    • Reardoa
    • By Reardoa 10th Jul 18, 9:10 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Reardoa
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:10 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:10 AM
    Assuming he isn't paying rent any insurer should be able to cover you in an executors name. Its pretty standard stuff so if your current insurer isn't playing ball most others should accommodate it without any issues.
    • needaholiday
    • By needaholiday 10th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    needaholiday
    • 10th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    Thanks both. It's Co Op insurance we are with. Still no call back !!
    Yes probate is granted so I will try elsewhere.
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 10th Jul 18, 6:30 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 10th Jul 18, 6:30 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 6:30 PM
    They won't be able to help you anyway. Don't wait for a call back, sort it out yourself. Google Landlord's Insurance!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,678Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin