Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cgingell81
    • By Cgingell81 9th Jul 18, 9:58 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Cgingell81
    Starling Bank Security
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:58 PM
    Starling Bank Security 9th Jul 18 at 9:58 PM
    I've recently joined starling and all was going well until.....
    I went to Krakow to visit Auschwitz. In the evening went out for a couple of drinks. While out my drink was spiked and I was robbed. Nearly 3300 taken from my Starling account in incremental amounts , 50, 60,150,350,750,950 etc.
    They also tried Barclays and a friends Santander and First Direct.
    All major banks noticed the fraud and declined all payments. Starling authorised all of them and now refuses to give me my money back. I'm in contact with Polish Embassy in London, British Consulate in Poland, Krakow Police (btw the police are not interested in th3 slightest) and financial ombudsmen. Has anyone else had bad experience with Starling?
    Can anyone offer any advice?
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Jul 18, 10:16 PM
    • 32,118 Posts
    • 20,204 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:16 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:16 PM
    I've recently joined starling and all was going well until.....
    I went to Krakow to visit Auschwitz. In the evening went out for a couple of drinks. While out my drink was spiked and I was robbed. Nearly 3300 taken from my Starling account in incremental amounts , 50, 60,150,350,750,950 etc.
    They also tried Barclays and a friends Santander and First Direct.
    All major banks noticed the fraud and declined all payments. Starling authorised all of them and now refuses to give me my money back. I'm in contact with Polish Embassy in London, British Consulate in Poland, Krakow Police (btw the police are not interested in th3 slightest) and financial ombudsmen. Has anyone else had bad experience with Starling?
    Can anyone offer any advice?
    Originally posted by Cgingell81
    Im guessing the money was taken via atm, is that right ?
    If it were me I would have just taken cash out with me.

You could have locked the card so it couldnt be used in ATM's ?
    Last edited by DCFC79; 09-07-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 9th Jul 18, 11:01 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 2,301 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:01 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:01 PM
    Im guessing the money was taken via atm, is that right ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Starling Bank's ATM limits are six withdrawals a day, up to 300 in total.

Starling Bank was "made for travel" and offers several transaction blocking options, along with (almost) instant transaction updates. Perhaps this makes them a little more relaxed about transactions than other banks.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Jul 18, 11:16 PM
    • 32,118 Posts
    • 20,204 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:16 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:16 PM
    Starling Bank's ATM limits are six withdrawals a day, up to 300 in total.

Starling Bank was "made for travel" and offers several transaction blocking options, along with (almost) instant transaction updates. Perhaps this makes them a little more relaxed about transactions than other banks.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Good point.

So if withdrawals couldnt be done via cashpoint, odd amounts for purchases by card imo.
    How were the transactions made OP ?
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 10th Jul 18, 7:17 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    18cc
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:17 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:17 AM
    Even Starling require a PIN for ATM withdrawals so why should they refund you?
    • mrchrisbrogan
    • By mrchrisbrogan 11th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    mrchrisbrogan
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    Why are they refusing to refund?
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 11th Jul 18, 3:48 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    K80 Black
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:48 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:48 PM
    I went to Krakow to visit Auschwitz.
    You went to Krakow, to visit Auschwitz, which isn't in Krakow, it's in Oswiecim. This is the first of many things that seems a little strange.

Doubt the OP will be back to answer questions and explain though.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 11th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    • 9,201 Posts
    • 13,341 Thanks
    meer53
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    You get instant notifications from Starling when a transaction is made with your card ? How did you not notice them ?
    • mrchrisbrogan
    • By mrchrisbrogan 11th Jul 18, 4:23 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    mrchrisbrogan
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:23 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:23 PM
    Perhaps being abroad they had their data off?
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 11th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    Zanderman
    ...... While out my drink was spiked and I was robbed. Nearly 3300 taken from my Starling account in incremental amounts , 50, 60,150,350,750,950 etc...........
    The OP hasn't logged in since they posted. But, as others have said, the scenario doesn't make sense without more info. Like how was the money withdrawn etc.

It's that sentence about drinks being spiked that intrigues me - the OP appears to be suggesting they were drugged, which makes all of the speculation even more difficult. Were they conscious? Were they unconscious? Were they taken to the ATM in a daze, or was just the card taken and how were so many transactions approved without a PIN. Did they give out their PIN? How did this happen?

...... I'm in contact with Polish Embassy in London, British Consulate in Poland, Krakow Police (btw the police are not interested in th3 slightest) and financial ombudsmen...........
    That's a lot of people to be in contact with - and the Ombudsman is hardly going to be interested at this stage.

But if all those people have been fully briefed on the details OP (and I assume they have otherwise they won't act), please tell us too, otherwise we can't offer advice either.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Jul 18, 5:30 PM
    • 20,466 Posts
    • 16,255 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I'm not sure why people are continuing to bang on about ATMs when's it's been made clear in post #3 that they can't possibly be the source of such a large value of deductions. We need the OP to explain what the fraudulent transactions actually were (purchases, transfers, something else?) to be able to offer much assistance.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 11th Jul 18, 6:51 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 860 Thanks
    dj1471
    This is a fairly common story on here.

OP goes out drinking in what is eventually revealed to be a strip-club or similar establishment, is "drugged" (maybe for real, maybe just excessively drunk) and the establishment take him for every penny they can (chip-and-PIN purchases).

As the PIN was used the bank are not keen to chargeback the transactions, as it simply looks like morning-after remorse.

Clearly not the bank's fault whatever the situation was.

The only way forward is a formal complaint to the bank setting out what happened with as much evidence as is available (e.g. the crime number from the Polish police), within the 120 day chargeback time limit. Escalate to the ombudsman if necessary.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 12th Jul 18, 1:22 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    Anthorn
    There is another way to defraud on a Starling account and that's to steal a mobile phone which is not secured which has a Starling app with a weak password. In my view this could be the one reason why Starling should refuse compensation. That could be the reason why instant notifications from the Starling app were not received. The other reason could be mobile payments such as Apple Pay or Google Pay with the Starling card linked on a similarly insecure mobile phone.

Everyone should be aware that mobile banking apps and mobile payments apps are only as secure as your phone!
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 12th Jul 18, 1:56 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    Zanderman
    There is another way to defraud on a Starling account and that's to steal a mobile phone which is not secured which has a Starling app with a weak password. In my view this could be the one reason why Starling should refuse compensation. That could be the reason why instant notifications from the Starling app were not received. The other reason could be mobile payments such as Apple Pay or Google Pay with the Starling card linked on a similarly insecure mobile phone.

Everyone should be aware that mobile banking apps and mobile payments apps are only as secure as your phone!
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Possibly. Though every banking app I've installed has, I think, a pre-condition of installation that the phone is secured via PIN etc. I haven't tried every banking app but I assume this would be a default condition for all. Plus of course the App's own security.

What I don't know, not having tried it, is whether a banking app disables itself if you turn off phone security. Again I assume it should. And phone security can only, normally, be turned off by confirming, er, phone security - so a thief couldn't do it.

If all these assumptions are correct a thief would not be able to use banking on a stolen phone unless they knew the phone's security. If the phone was unsecured the banking app wouldn't work. Unless the banking app was so simple it didn't notice here was no security set any more.

Unless... they kept a stolen but secured phone from sleeping by constantly using the screen.

But I may be wrong about banking apps and requirements for phone security.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 12th Jul 18, 2:43 PM
    • 9,201 Posts
    • 13,341 Thanks
    meer53
    Data doesn't need to be on to get notifications. I log into my account with touch ID or by PIN.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 12th Jul 18, 4:52 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    18cc
    All banking apps are secured by a PIN, or password, or similar. So if a phone is stolen then in a way it doesn't matter if the phone is unsecured because they still won't be able to get into the app.

What they WILL be able to do though is take out the SIM and put it in another phone unless the SIM card is secured. Everyone's first priority should be to put a lock on their SIM so it can't be used if lost/stolen. This is particularly true if your bank uses text messages or phone verification to verify transactions.

That said, no one can break into your Starling app unless they know the PIN.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 12th Jul 18, 4:59 PM
    • 9,307 Posts
    • 14,351 Thanks
    worried jim
    You get instant notifications from Starling when a transaction is made with your card ? How did you not notice them ?
    Originally posted by meer53
    They were off their tits!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 12th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    Anthorn
    All banking apps are secured by a PIN, or password, or similar. So if a phone is stolen then in a way it doesn't matter if the phone is unsecured because they still won't be able to get into the app.

What they WILL be able to do though is take out the SIM and put it in another phone unless the SIM card is secured. Everyone's first priority should be to put a lock on their SIM so it can't be used if lost/stolen. This is particularly true if your bank uses text messages or phone verification to verify transactions.

That said, no one can break into your Starling app unless they know the PIN.
    Originally posted by 18cc
    Except that some people have their password as "password" and their PIN as "123456". No matter how many times the folly of this is highlighted they still do it. Either that or they have the same password and/or PIN for everything so anyone who gets the password and/or PIN gets access to everything.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 12th Jul 18, 7:17 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    18cc
    Yes agreed it is depressingly true
    • Cgingell81
    • By Cgingell81 15th Jul 18, 8:32 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Cgingell81
    I must say I was expecting a more grown up response on MSE website. The abuse is uncalled for. I paid for a round of drinks on card and I'm guessing that's how they got my pin.
    I mean FFS I know Auschwitz is not in Krakow but my hotel Was, was this really that big an assumption to follow through with?
    My argument is that 5 other financial institutions are involved and they all either stopped the payments or have refunded. Starling are stating that chip and pin is too secure that it couldn't be fraud despite bring able to prove that I wasn't in the club at the time of some of the transactions.
    As for the drugs I was either unconscious or severely incapacitated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,435Posts Today

8,540Users online

Martin's Twitter