Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sajet
    • By sajet 9th Jul 18, 9:17 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    sajet
    Park Direct did not reply to my appeal!
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:17 PM
    Park Direct did not reply to my appeal! 9th Jul 18 at 9:17 PM
    Hi all, I'm a bit stressed out about the PCN I received last month from Park Direct UK at Uxbridge. I had stepped out of the car to read the board, thought it was dodgy, saw a random lady hiding behind a car and trying to photograph me - and so I left.

I received a PCN a couple of days after, however the timestamps are NOT clear and I;m sure I wasn't there for more than a minute. So I wrote them a letter back appealing the PCN but have not heard back from them.

It says on their letter "If you do appeal and do not hear from us within 28 days then please contact us, do not assume that your appeal has been successful"

It's a week over 28 days now, I haven't heard anything but now received a letter saying "The requirements of Schedule 4 of Protection of Freedoms Act ...have been satisfied" and are therefore DEMANDING I pay 100 within 14 days.

I've read about POPLA but I do not have the verification code as Park Direct have NOT replied to my appeal.

What are my options? Please help!
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 18, 9:31 PM
    • 37,946 Posts
    • 22,059 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:31 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:31 PM
    Everyone is politely asked to read up on this in the Newbies faq thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread

Go there now to gain an understanding of the game you are now caught up in and why no need to be stressed!

You are dealing with an IPC company (no POPLA!)

Ignore everything now except a LBCCA or court correspondence

All explained in the FAQ

If you get either of these in the future come back for advice on defending a claim

They have 6 years to start legal proceedings against you

Best not to reveal who was driving unless you already did so- edit your OP to remove details of who was driving
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th Jul 18, 9:34 PM
    • 10,740 Posts
    • 11,155 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:34 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:34 PM
    You won't get a PoPLA code.
    Park Direct are an IPC company.

Can you post your appeal text here?

Here are your chances of court action:
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 64,101 Posts
    • 76,695 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    And if you posted a letter as an appeal, they've probably conveniently 'lost' it.

Start ignoring them. Read up about the outrageous scam you are ignoring, loads on this forum about the industry, how to beat them if they try court, why NOT to do the IAS, all of it already said in the NEWBIES sticky thread, and not bearing repeating here.

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • sajet
    • By sajet 9th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sajet
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    Thank you all; I have been reading the FAQs.

Re Park Direct - their most recent letter has both BPA and IPC logos at the bottom. It says it's a member of BPA. I've confirmed this on BPA website too.

Also, here is what I found on the PoPLA FAQs - "POPLA can only consider appeals against parking charge notices issued by a member of the BPA."

Does this mean they still won't give me a POPLA code?

I'm sure they've conveniently "lost" my appeal letter. I will try and ring them up tomorrow or perhaps write another appeal letter. I have not identified the driver of the vehicle at any time and will not do so.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    • 64,101 Posts
    • 76,695 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:08 PM

Re Park Direct - their most recent letter has both BPA and IPC logos at the bottom. It says it's a member of BPA. I've confirmed this on BPA website too.
    That's in the FAQS...in the newbies thread!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th Jul 18, 10:20 PM
    • 10,740 Posts
    • 11,155 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:20 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:20 PM
    Originally posted by sajet
    Quentin and I have already answered that.

Did you look at that link I posted earlier?
    In there you will see:
    Moved to the IPC on 01/05/2016
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 9th Jul 18, 10:44 PM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:44 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:44 PM

Also, here is what I found on the PoPLA FAQs - "POPLA can only consider appeals against parking charge notices issued by a member of the BPA."

I'm sure they've conveniently "lost" my appeal letter. I will try and ring them up tomorrow or perhaps write another appeal letter. I have not identified the driver of the vehicle at any time and will not do so.

where? http://www.britishparking.co.uk/BPA-Approved-Operators
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • sajet
    • By sajet 9th Jul 18, 11:25 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sajet
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:25 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:25 PM
    where?
    Originally posted by twhitehousescat
    This is the link I had checked and it has Park Direct UK on there - early days for me I guess ..I now understand the difference between "Members" and "Operators"
    _,,,BPA-Members (sorry can't post links as am a new member but replace BPA-Approved-Operators with BPA-Members in your link)

Back to reading the newbie FAQs!
    • sajet
    • By sajet 10th Jul 18, 2:18 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sajet
    Everyone is politely asked to read up on this in the Newbies faq thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread

Go there now to gain an understanding of the game you are now caught up in and why no need to be stressed!

You are dealing with an IPC company (no POPLA!)

Ignore everything now except a LBCCA or court correspondence

All explained in the FAQ

If you get either of these in the future come back for advice on defending a claim

They have 6 years to start legal proceedings against you

Best not to reveal who was driving unless you already did so- edit your OP to remove details of who was driving
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Thanks for your response. I have read that IAS appeals are a sham but has anyone had any success?
    I'm slightly worried they can pursue me anytime they chose in the next 6 years so wondering whether paying up would mean mental peace. Sorry I do wish to fight but 6 years is a long long time to be worried about I think.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Jul 18, 7:47 AM
    • 37,946 Posts
    • 22,059 Thanks
    Quentin
    You did read #3 above?

And clicked on the link?

And read the info you were given there?

And after all that now tell us you want to pay for mental peace??

Sorry, but that sounds mental!

Ignoring debt collectors letters isn't hard!
    Last edited by Quentin; 10-07-2018 at 7:50 AM.
    • sajet
    • By sajet 10th Jul 18, 8:39 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sajet
    I know it sounds mental! But 6 years though ...
    Nevertheless I've sent my dispute letters. Will await their response. Thanks again
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 10th Jul 18, 8:46 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,189 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Sorry I do wish to fight but 6 years is a long long time to be worried about I think.
    Park Direct don't do court so all you will get is a string of meaningless letters from debt collectors that can do nothing.

Here is what you need to do with the letters you get from them

http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-hat.html
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    3. Forgetting about the Witness Statement
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 10th Jul 18, 9:33 AM
    • 10,645 Posts
    • 10,485 Thanks
    The Deep
    If it did get to court they would struggle. Random lady hiding behind a car, and taking photographs failed in her duty to mitigate her employer's losses by not engaging with you.

If it went to court you would require her to attend to answer questions about her conduct. I cannot see any judge in the land finding for them is the situation was as you state. Therefore, how will paying solve anything.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    Last edited by The Deep; 10-07-2018 at 9:36 AM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Jul 18, 9:49 AM
    • 37,946 Posts
    • 22,059 Thanks
    Quentin
    I know it sounds mental! But 6 years though ...
    Nevertheless I've sent my dispute letters. Will await their response. Thanks again

Don't be expecting a favourable reply!!

Treat any debt collectors threatening letters like all the other junk mail you get!

Would you pay any other bill you didn't agree you owed?

If so give us an address to send you some made up bills!!

Come on! You came for advice - you don't need to do anything except ignore some nasty letters!!

(Blame the law for allowing them 6 years to take legal action - it applies to all creditors not just scammers like these)
    Last edited by Quentin; 10-07-2018 at 9:52 AM.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 10th Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,189 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Blame the law for allowing them 6 years to take legal action - it applies to all creditors not just scammers like these)
    Apart from those claims that aren't 6 years that is.
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    3. Forgetting about the Witness Statement
    • sajet
    • By sajet 10th Jul 18, 10:11 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sajet
    Don't be expecting a favourable reply!!

Treat any debt collectors threatening letters like all the other junk mail you get!

Would you pay any other bill you didn't agree you owed?

If so give us an address to send you some made up bills!!

Come on! You came for advice - you don't need to do anything except ignore some nasty letters!!

(Blame the law for allowing them 6 years to take legal action - it applies to all creditors not just scammers like these)
    Originally posted by Quentin
    I have sent another dispute letter today so will wait and see what they come back with.

Just a thought - can I drag them to court instead to cancel the PCN (and perhaps sue for data privacy breach etc) instead of waiting around for 6 years like a sitting duck??
    • sajet
    • By sajet 10th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sajet
    If it did get to court they would struggle. Random lady hiding behind a car, and taking photographs failed in her duty to mitigate her employer's losses by not engaging with you.

If it went to court you would require her to attend to answer questions about her conduct. I cannot see any judge in the land finding for them is the situation was as you state. Therefore, how will paying solve anything.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    Thank you, yes I will be writing to my local MP - is there any other resource (petition?) whereby more awareness can be raised on this topic?
    You guys are doing a wonderful job here and probably have helped countless unsuspecting victims such as myself!
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 10th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    I have sent another dispute letter today so will wait and see what they come back with.

Just a thought - can I drag them to court instead to cancel the PCN (and perhaps sue for data privacy breach etc) instead of waiting around for 6 years like a sitting duck??
    no ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • sajet
    • By sajet 10th Jul 18, 10:17 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sajet
    Park Direct don't do court so all you will get is a string of meaningless letters from debt collectors that can do nothing.

Here is what you need to do with the letters you get from them
    Originally posted by IamEmanresu
    LOL! Tbh it's not the court and defending that scares me, it really is the fact that I would be leaving myself open (unfairly!) to action for 6 years that bugs me. God forbid something goes wrong (missed/unopened letters etc) and I find bailiffs at my doorstep for this silly thing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,903Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How do you rate your energy provider's recent service? Please vote in the latest MSE site poll? https://t.co/nkYxGbiXqe

• RT @Gillsnatter: "The phrase I hate is: it's only money. Money is one of the biggest causes of divorce it's one of the biggest causes of me?

• RT @TrevorNeal: Thanks Martin! It didn?t go unnoticed. Good to meet you too. We?re more likely to Swing Our Pensions these days..! #MartinL?

• Follow Martin