Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ronak Dave
    • By Ronak Dave 9th Jul 18, 4:01 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Ronak Dave
    First Utility asking for money after 2 years and I am no longer their customer.
    • 9th Jul 18, 4:01 PM
    First Utility asking for money after 2 years and I am no longer their customer. 9th Jul 18 at 4:01 PM
    I have tried to contact you today, unfortunately there was no response.

The reason of my call was to introduce myself and confirm that your case has been escalated to our Resolution Centre and I am your case handler from this point on wards.

I had a look into your account and confirmed it with the Finance department. I'm pleased to say we've made some progress in scrutinising the outstanding balance of your First Utility account. Thanks for bearing with us while we investigated.

From 25/07/2016 to 15/09/2016, we had the wrong bank details in our payment system according to your energy account. Now that it has been identified, the two payments of 63 applied into your energy account in error have been reversed into the accurate energy account , which is why there is an outstanding balance of 126 that is now due to be paid. I appreciate that the payments due back nearly 2 years and I'm sorry that this wasn't brought to your attention sooner.

Therefore, if you still have access to the First Utility online account, we would recommend you make a payment that way. Otherwise you may want to contact Customer Services on 01926 320 700 - lines are open from 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9am-4pm on a Saturday.

Please advise if there is something else you would like to address in regards of this matter. Or if this case can now be closed?

Kind regards,
    The First Utility team

1) How can they ask money after two years when they have error in their system?
    2) DATA Protection. I haven't ask them to store any of my details. I haven't received any opt in or out email from them as law change this year.

Any advice please.
Page 1
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 9th Jul 18, 6:41 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,521 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:41 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:41 PM
    As I understand it, they can't ask for this payment as it is more than 12 months old. See link below:

http:https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-backbilling-your-rights/
    • Jackandn
    • By Jackandn 9th Jul 18, 7:11 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Jackandn
    • 9th Jul 18, 7:11 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 7:11 PM
    Hi Ronak

As Valiant says they can't hold you to bills more than 12 months ago. To resolve the matter simply complain to first utility via phone using the number provided on their website (this will also help to ensure that this isn't a scam phone call) citing the ofgem backdating rule as the basis of your complaint. If they refuse this complaint then go to the energy ombudsman and escalate the complaint with them. One way or another that 126 seems very likely to be staying with you.
    Last edited by Jackandn; 09-07-2018 at 8:18 PM.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 9th Jul 18, 9:18 PM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 67,808 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:18 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:18 PM
    Also check your bank account if possible and ascertain whether or not the payments in question were actually taken or not from your account.
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 9th Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    • 2,252 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    Firstly I would check whether the payments referrred to were indeed not paid by you.

Backbilling however relates to raising an invoices against a supply, which is completely different to payments. So I would say that First Utility in this case are correct to ask you to make payment (if you didn't pay the payments referred to above).
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 42,788 Posts
    • 18,035 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    They can pursue the debt (if there is a debt) for up to 6 years, assuming that backbilling is not relevant here. Had the account been in credit, would you not want to be able to reclaim the balance owed for up to 6 years too?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Ronak Dave
    • By Ronak Dave 10th Jul 18, 9:12 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Ronak Dave
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:12 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:12 AM
    Thank you everyone for your response. Here is my issue.

1) Final bill generated and paid on 12 Jan 2017 and I close my account. Since than I am no longer First Utility customer.
    2) Received email on 5th March 2018 asking for bill to pay "We have tried to contact you on several occasions to let you know that you have an unpaid energy bill. If this is an oversight, please get in touch immediately. You can find details of how to pay below."
    3) I contract them on same day 5th March 2018 and they said they don't know why it show unpaid bill.
    4) Since than they keep asking more days to look into this issue and creating different case numbers.
    5) Above response I received on 9th Jul 2018. After 4 months. And keep asking for money.
    6) As all above response I will try to call them during weekend and asking to resolve this issue

Thank you for your help.
    • Ronak Dave
    • By Ronak Dave 27th Jul 18, 2:38 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Ronak Dave
    • 27th Jul 18, 2:38 PM
    • 27th Jul 18, 2:38 PM
    After long time and lots chat with First Utility I got response from them. Still they ask me to pay 46.00

Dear Mr Dave,

I understand you have rejected our offer of 63.00 Gesture of Goodwill as you do not feel this accurately reflects the stress and inconvenience caused following the issues you experienced with First Utility.

Please be advised all of our offers are assessed in line with the Energy Ombudsman guidelines and previous complaints of a similar nature, this is to ensure that we are being fair to all of our customers so that one is not compensated more than another.

However, in an attempt to reach a resolution with you internally we are able to offer an increased Gesture of Goodwill for the amount of 80.00.

May I ask that you consider our revised offer and respond back to us to advise how you wish to proceed.

I understand that your case handler has advised that the credit balance at the time of September 2016 was due to incorrect payment being applied to your account - as such, your account was in a debit balance at this time. Our increased offer has been made as we understand this has caused you unnecessary stress and time.

Please be advised if you do not wish to accept our offer we would be in a position of 'deadlock' whereby we are unable to agree on a resolution between ourselves. In this instance our offer will be withdrawn and a letter of deadlock will be sent in place so that you may refer this matter to the Energy Ombudsman should you chose to do so. We will then award the remedy that the Ombudsman deems fit.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely,

Mica
    First Utility: Resolution Support Adviser

0800 011 5168 | Monday - Friday | 9.00 am to 6.00 pm
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 27th Jul 18, 3:16 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    • 27th Jul 18, 3:16 PM
    • 27th Jul 18, 3:16 PM
    Have you checked through your bank statements and confirmed whether you paid these two payments or not?

If not then I would say that this is a very generous offer from them.
    • Ronak Dave
    • By Ronak Dave 27th Jul 18, 4:20 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Ronak Dave
    I am no longer with that bank so I am not able to check it as that is two years before. But in their response they said

16 Sep 16 Credit Card 80.00
    12 Sep 16 Direct Debit 63.00 Fixed Direct Debit payment applied in error into your cancelled energy account

10 Aug 16 Direct Debit 63.00!!!8203; Fixed Direct Debit payment applied in error into your cancelled energy account

So my argument is, even my 12th Sep 16 Direct Debit was not credited to utility account I already made another payment on 16th Sep 16 which is 80.00. Now lets assume 63.00 direct debit was failed so I am in debit for 63.00. They offer 80 Gesture of Goodwill so now I am in credit of 17.00. I just don't want that and close the account as all payment made. But they said even after 80.00 goodwill gesture I still need to pay 46.00.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,101Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter