Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 9th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    • 2,732Posts
    • 183Thanks
    loulou41
    How reliable is the broadband checker?
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    How reliable is the broadband checker? 9th Jul 18 at 2:45 PM
    I just had my bt superfast essential bb activated. The bt checker records a speed of 38 mbs compared to 2 mbs I am used. The broadband checker from the internet records 17 mbs. So this cannot be right guaranteed speed of 35 mbs with bt . I will go with the bt checker for accuracy but do not understand why there is such a big difference between the two! Thanks
Page 1
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 9th Jul 18, 3:10 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:10 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:10 PM
    @loulou41
    There are reported issues with the BT Speed tester at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ where it is misreporting speeds when used with Chrome or Firefox.
    My 76Mbps line reported at 360Mbps in one such test using Chrome. BTW are aware of the issues and are very slowly working on a replacement.
    I now use the Edge browser just for the speed test. Others have reported that Safari and Opera also produce reliable results.
    I would also compare your results against another reliable tester like the ThinkBroadBand at https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 9th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    I just had my bt superfast essential bb activated. The bt checker records a speed of 38 mbs compared to 2 mbs I am used. The broadband checker from the internet records 17 mbs. So this cannot be right guaranteed speed of 35 mbs with bt . I will go with the bt checker for accuracy but do not understand why there is such a big difference between the two! Thanks
    Originally posted by loulou41
    Firstly, are you checking with a hard wired ethernet connection? If not, then wireless interference can easily knock your speed down.

Try putting your phone number into this

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

This will tell you the estimated VDSL speed for your line.

If the speed that you are getting is way below this, then there could be a problem with the line. You may need to check with BT that your profile has been set up correctly.

Also, with a new connection, it can take a few days for the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) to settle down to a stable speed.
    Last edited by Mister G; 09-07-2018 at 3:33 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 1,104 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    I would agree that you should junk the BT checker, it's very variable. I've always used www.speedtest.net as you can join for free and it'll keep a history for you.

As said above you need to check with a wired connection and of course nothing else should be using your connection at the time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,768Posts Today

8,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• RT @BimpeIN: @MartinSLewis According to Quora its "the speed of the ball as getting out of the racket. As soon as the ball starts to fly it?

• Follow Martin