Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kulturschok
    • By kulturschok 9th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kulturschok
    Insurance setup and amendment charges
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    Insurance setup and amendment charges 9th Jul 18 at 2:45 PM
    I just got a car insurance with Hastings which I found on comparethemarket. Unlike when I got home insurance I didnt get a phone call or anything after I applied for the insurance to confirm all my details. I got a letter and an email to query one detail, which I replied to clarify. I have now had another email a month after initially buying the insurance saying I need to pay an extra amount on my premium and 20 for their amendment fee.

Surely it would be more fair and reasonable to help check these details when setting up the policy, as my home insurance did, rather than setting it up and making me pay for them to change it. Some answers to the questions are not so black and white as the dropdown options are on these websites.

Also, if you wanted to cancel or change your policy during the cooling-off you still have to pay a fee - if returning any other product you wouldn't have to pay a fee for their work, so why with insurance? I also gave them a call within the cooling off period to check they had received the reply to my email clarifying my details, and I was told everything was fine.
    Last edited by kulturschok; 09-07-2018 at 3:13 PM.
Page 1
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 9th Jul 18, 3:18 PM
    • 22,006 Posts
    • 10,692 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:18 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:18 PM
    Put in a formal complaint.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    • 27,251 Posts
    • 10,986 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    Your not returning a product though. Its like paying a decorator to hang some paper or paint a wall and then deciding you dont like it and get him to do it again. You pay him extra because its your change of mind not an issue with his work.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • FlameCloud
    • By FlameCloud 9th Jul 18, 6:29 PM
    • 1,826 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    FlameCloud
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:29 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:29 PM
    The onus is on you to make a full, honest and accurate disclosure to the questions that are asked. They have the right to assume this is the case with the answers given and do not have to vet every application.

What was the change following the query?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 9th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 9th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    OP perhaps if you read the T+C it would have been clearer the charges
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    • 93,366 Posts
    • 60,868 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    Also, if you wanted to cancel or change your policy during the cooling-off you still have to pay a fee - if returning any other product you wouldn't have to pay a fee for their work, so why with insurance?
    Because it is not a product but a service.

Surely it would be more fair and reasonable to help check these details when setting up the policy, as my home insurance did, rather than setting it up and making me pay for them to change it.
    Surely it is reasonable for you to tell the truth at the time you apply?
    You applied online and used a comparison site. So, finding ways to reduce your premium is likely to be your reason for doing that. You then created extra work for the company. Who do you propose should pay that if you dont?

Who is going to pay for them to check the details that you have declared as being accurate and truthful?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,493Posts Today

9,450Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• The fight to divorce mental health and debt... https://t.co/G3pyGje6Kh

• Follow Martin