Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dagger75
    • By Dagger75 9th Jul 18, 2:10 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Dagger75
    House valuation without using estate agents?
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:10 PM
    House valuation without using estate agents? 9th Jul 18 at 2:10 PM
    Is it possible to obtain a house valuation without using an estate agent? My house is currently on the market but I think it might be overpriced. I'm tied in with my current online agent for the moment but would like a more realistic valuation. I don't want to use estate agents if I am not in the position to utilise them fully as I don't want to waste their time.

Is there such a thing a private valuers who can come and asses my property value?
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Jul 18, 2:24 PM
    • 9,082 Posts
    • 9,676 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:24 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:24 PM
    Is there such a thing a private valuers who can come and assess my property value?
    Originally posted by Dagger75
    Yes, any surveyors should be able to do this for you.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 9th Jul 18, 2:28 PM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:28 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:28 PM
    You could try to look at sold prices (https://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/) to see what similar houses have sold for nearby.

This works best when a number of similar nearby properties have sold recently. And so bear in mind that the other properties will have had their own selling points, so it gives a rough idea only.
    • Dagger75
    • By Dagger75 9th Jul 18, 2:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dagger75
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:31 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:31 PM
    Thank you, I will have a look for some local surveyors
    • Dagger75
    • By Dagger75 9th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dagger75
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    I've had a look but there's not much sold near me that's comparable. Not many people move from my area.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 9th Jul 18, 2:44 PM
    • 5,236 Posts
    • 3,229 Thanks
    benjus
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:44 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:44 PM
    If the person that buys your house is buying with a mortgage, the mortgage company will send a surveyor to confirm that the proposed purchase price is realistic. So it's really the surveyor's opinion that matters unless you're selling to a cash buyer.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 9th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 14,636 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    Explain the situation to any EA - most will be more than happy to value with the hope of getting future business.

Be aware they are likely to pitch it somewhere just under your current asking price, and even then it's likely to be on the optimistic side. If they say it's underpriced, it may well just be the online agent that are putting people off.

Have a look at nearby sold properties online and see what you think it's worth. Mind you, if you're not getting any interest, it's probably the price or something glaringly obvious.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes; Thai cooking stuff; Jo Brand talk; Slime Factory; Flawless tickets; Comedy night tickets
    • thelem
    • By thelem 9th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    thelem
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    If you post the rightmove advert URL here then you'll get lots of opinions about price and what you can improve in the advert. Just post the bit after rightmove.com if it won't let you post links.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,903Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How do you rate your energy provider's recent service? Please vote in the latest MSE site poll? https://t.co/nkYxGbiXqe

• RT @Gillsnatter: "The phrase I hate is: it's only money. Money is one of the biggest causes of divorce it's one of the biggest causes of me?

• RT @TrevorNeal: Thanks Martin! It didn?t go unnoticed. Good to meet you too. We?re more likely to Swing Our Pensions these days..! #MartinL?

• Follow Martin