Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 9th Jul 18, 1:27 PM
    • 5,106Posts
    • 1,653Thanks
    Jon 01
    Car Warranty and the competency of a dealer?
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:27 PM
    Car Warranty and the competency of a dealer? 9th Jul 18 at 1:27 PM
    Afternoon all,

We bought a 5 year old 208 auto about 6 weeks back. 27k on the clock.

We've found it has a couple of problems. One, the hill start assist doesn't always work, you take your foot off the brake and it rolls back.

It has Eco start/stop to switch the engine off when waiting at lights ect. This hardly ever works.

I've spoken to the original owner and it's had these issues since about 9 months from new. He took it back to the main dealer a number of times and they said they'd fixed it, but after a week or so their 'fix' stopped working.
    As he bought it for his wife ( and I gather he's loaded) after the 5th or 6th try he just sold it on and bought her something else.

I've been in contact with Peugeot customer care and they say as it's more then 3 years old, it's tough...
    Now surely a warranty shouldn't be down to the competency of the main dealer? If they are unable or unwilling to fix an issues is just ok to wait for the warranty to expire and then start to change for something that should have been resolved 4 years ago?

The main dealer that couldn't fix it is over 100 miles away from me so I can't easily take back there.
    The third party dealer I bought it from I guess is liable, but as a fix is main dealer only it's down to
    Peugeot anyway.
    I've also spoke with a local garage that specializes in this kind thing and they've stopped even trying to fix Peugeot auto with these faults as it's a hiding to nowhere.

Anyone know if Peugeot can just wash their hands on this???

Thanks
Page 2
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Jul 18, 1:47 PM
    • 33,691 Posts
    • 28,587 Thanks
    custardy
    As said. We have a Picasso which I assume has the same hill holder. (though manual)
    The brakes hold the car to allow you to power away without rolling back.
    The gearbox isnt involved in this.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 11th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    • 5,106 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    Jon 01
    That system on page 130 you have linked to is a feature where the brakes hold the car for up to a couple of seconds so you don't roll when pulling away.

It makes sense if it is fitted to automatic versions of the 208 as standard because the automated manual gearbox will not allow the clutch to remain partially engaged to hold the car. (It will not hold the car or allow it to creep like a traditional torque converter auto gearbox). It also seems to be increasingly common on manual cars these days

As it is the brakes which are not holding the car I think the garage needs to give you a very good explanation as to why the are saying you need a new gearbox?
    Originally posted by verityboo
    Thanks for all that. You know more about it than the guys on the Peugeot 'help desk', but it's obvious they just read from a script.

It maybe the garage think the eco failing + the hill start are connected to the box? They tell me they've had a LOT of atuo Peugeot throught over the last few months and they can't fix them... What I know about these things could be written on the back of a stamp and still leave room for a map of the world. . . I was going purely on what Peugeot CS were saying when I called them?

It certainly won't creep, which is pain when I have have only around a foot of clearance getting it into my garage!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,258Posts Today

7,030Users online

Martin's Twitter