Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bamgbost
    • By bamgbost 9th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 251Posts
    • 70Thanks
    bamgbost
    Buying a Property on Private Road
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    Buying a Property on Private Road 9th Jul 18 at 1:17 PM
    Hi

We are first time buyers. Seen a dream house, located in a residential area, but so happens that you turn off the main street onto an adjourning street with 5 houses. And they happen to be on a Private Road.

we asked the estate agent more, and they said it just means every so often you club together to replace the tarmac when required. Theres no maintenance charge or anything.

From experience is there anything to be concerned about, or to further ask?

Any advise is welcome
Page 1
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    Hi

From experience is there anything to be concerned about, or to further ask?

Any advise is welcome
    Originally posted by bamgbost
    You need to consider the aspect of road maintenance and make your own judgement.

I live on a private shared with 4 houses we have just paid in the region of 25k between us for a new surface.

Admittedly it probably hasn't been done for maybe 100 years but we as the current occupiers have had to bear the cost of those who have gone previously and those who will no doubt go until the next resurface is due.

Something else to possibly consider is abandoned vehicles.Someone can quite easily abandon a vehicle on the road and as it is a private entity you will need to pay the council for its removal if you are unable to persuade the owner to move it.
    Again whilst this isn't common we have had 3 in the last year.

Street lighting sometimes stops at the point where the road becomes private so just check that you feel the house and area around wont be plunged into darkness come 6pm on a winters evening.

Is rubbish collected from the road or do the existing occupants need to take it to a designated spot on the adopted road. we have to take ours to a designated point but arrangements for that type of thing is usually made locally and there isn't a one size fits all approach.

Have you spoken to the vendors of the property and asked them what impact living on a private road has,they may be far more willing to share experiences with you than the agent who afterall is simply trying to sell you it.
    OR even get into a conversation with a neighbour when you are wandering around the area if you want a slightly less biased view.
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-07-2018 at 1:44 PM.
    in S 34 T 40 F 47
    out S 50 T 43 F 48
    2017 -32
    • Malks
    • By Malks 9th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Malks
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    Used to live on a Private Road, and it did have a good sense of community but there were pitfalls, but we all banded together and formed a Residents Association to help with it. (There were 12 houses in the road.

As has been pointed out already, the biggest cost was resurfacing, but we had a shingle road without tarmac, so each household paid 5 per month into the Residents Association account and that took care of the cost, it was done when we thought it needed doing. We also used to insure the road, for Public liability, as effectively if someone had an accident in the road, they could take action against the Residents association.

http://www.privateroads.co.uk/home has some good information on buying in a Private Road.

Parking wasnt a problem for us, but we did have signs up saying Private Road no Unauthorised parking.

Street Lighting was an issue as we had to pay for it to be replaced, although this was cheap trying to find a company to do it was difficult. (The local council did quote for the work, but we could have had 4 lights replaced for what they wanted to charge for 1!)

On the plus side we had some fantastic street parties over the summer, BBQs being pulled out into the road.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 9th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 9th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    Check out the condition of the road. If its in good nick that's fine, you'll prob be ok for a good few years.

If it isn't then there's two problems - it may cost a bomb to re-do, and it'll need everybody to agree to cough up.

I looked at a house on an unmade road, it was in a terrible state with massive potholes you almost needed a 4x4 to get to the house! Estate agent said the owners said "don't worry the farmer down the road brings his digger down and levels it off every few years - its due to be done now, probably be done by the time you complete." .... I didnt believe it could get that bad within just a few years. That was 4 years ago and it's never been touched and has got even worse. The house is almost inaccessible depending on what car you've got and how low it is!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 44,453 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 9th Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    [QUOTE=bamgbost;74506959]

we asked the estate agent more, and they said it just means every so often you club together to replace the tarmac when required. Theres no maintenance charge or anything.

/QUOTE]

Ask the EA and/or vendor to be more specific about the "every so often you club together" aspect.

Does this mean:

1. There is a residents association - with formal meetings/officers/etc.

2. Everyone in the road discusses things together informally at events "over the garden wall" and everyone decides things together jointly on this informal basis.

3. Someone somewhere has been used to operating by diktat and ordering the other residents what to do - ie "I have decided and you will all do/pay/etc as I have decided". That scenario is a possibility - even though it's now the 21st century and things should obviously be done democratically with everyone having their "fair share of the say". NB: No. 3 might possibly be the case if there is a "known owner" of the road - ie they might throw their weight around and not acknowledge everyone else being entitled to their "say". Some people are fair-minded and know we live in the 21st century - others are bossy and would like to transport others back several centuries as to "how things are done".
    No (Brexit) deal = no big deal #shrugs and leave anyway

These boots are made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do....
    • bamgbost
    • By bamgbost 10th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    bamgbost
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    Cool. Thank you all for the tips and advice. I am a bit weary about proceeding tbh. Esp as first time buyer. Last thing we want is an unexpected surprise.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 10th Jul 18, 3:01 PM
    • 22,019 Posts
    • 10,700 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 10th Jul 18, 3:01 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 3:01 PM
    Does this mean:

1. There is a residents association - with formal meetings/officers/etc.

Not usually in my experience.
    Getting work done on roads is pretty rare and if it's in good nick then decades should go past with nothing needng doing.

It's not the same as (for example) sharing a garden where things would need doing weekly.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 10th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 5,280 Posts
    • 7,182 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 10th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    The only private road i know of locally is full of NIMBYs. They get together each year to man a barrier to prevent people parking on thier road for the on annual event held nearby.

To be fair theyre clinging on to what they have left pf a road.

My mate lived there growing up, i remember him telling me that they had to pay for the repairs/resurfacing. 18 years later and it might as well be a shingle road. Occasionally you get an owner sorting out a little bit in front of their house. Cant imagine itll ever get resurfaced.
    Don't be angry!
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 10th Jul 18, 3:11 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 10th Jul 18, 3:11 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 3:11 PM
    We live on one and we had years of problems with the drains as they are our problem. Had flooding for years.
    Road is in a state but no one will pay towards getting it repaired.

Would never live on a private road again tbh. Obviously this is just my experience but it has been horrible.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 44,453 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    We live on one and we had years of problems with the drains as they are our problem. Had flooding for years.
    Road is in a state but no one will pay towards getting it repaired.

Would never live on a private road again tbh. Obviously this is just my experience but it has been horrible.
    Originally posted by heatherw_01
    Quick thought - did you know that the drains aren't your problem (ie any longer)?

One thing I was aware of was the "What happens if the drains go wrong?" scenario and, fortunately, the law changed only a few years ago to state that anything drains-wise outside a persons private property is now the responsibility of the local Water Board - ie even if it's in a private road.

So it doesn't matter one bit to me if the drains go wrong - as long as it's outside my own private garden that's down on my own personal Title Plan as belonging to me personally. Outside that - down to the Water Board. Presumably the same applies even if there is a "known owner" of the road? (ie as the drains will be underneath the "road").
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 10-07-2018 at 3:31 PM.

• need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Jul 18, 3:35 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    need an answer
    Quick thought - did you know that the drains aren't your problem (ie any longer)?

One thing I was aware of was the "What happens if the drains go wrong?" scenario and, fortunately, the law changed only a few years ago to state that anything drains-wise outside a persons private property is now the responsibility of the local Water Board - ie even if it's in a private road.

So it doesn't matter one bit to me if the drains go wrong - as long as it's outside my own private garden that's down on my own personal Title Plan as belonging to me personally. Outside that - down to the Water Board. Presumably the same applies even if there is a "known owner" of the road? (ie as the drains will be underneath the "road").
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I'd certainly say to the poster to check their deeds although in some cases the boundary of the property actually extends across the private road.

In our case we own half the road and an opposite neighbour owns the other half creating the width of the road between us in our deeds.

The caveat for us is we need to allow a right of access over the road to any user.
    in S 34 T 40 F 47
    out S 50 T 43 F 48
    2017 -32
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jul 18, 3:43 PM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 44,453 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Quick check on date - and it was 1 July 2011 as the relevant date for Welsh Water for instance. Think/presume it was the same date for the whole country?

EDIT; Get your point - as sometimes the frontager thing might apply - ie owning half of any road in front of one's house (though I'd guess that would come under the same heading as "anything that goes wrong with drains in one's own garden"??
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 10-07-2018 at 3:46 PM.

• need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Jul 18, 3:51 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    need an answer
    That's right money...very technically the road belongs to the front gardens of 3 houses to half the road and one house the other side of the road who owns the other half as "garden to the side of their property.

all with a right of way for any users.

Private roads come in all shapes and sizes. I don't think there is a set pattern.

Our houses were built at the turn of the century when cars or indeed lots of traffic was not the norm,I assume the builders always just saw our road as an extension of the gardens but as traffic increased so did the flow over the road.

At some point developers also built either end of the road whereby the right of way access was then granted or at least came into play.

100 or so years later and we collectively decided it was time to tidy our front gardens...just short of 25k but it should see me out!
    Last edited by need an answer; 10-07-2018 at 3:57 PM.
    in S 34 T 40 F 47
    out S 50 T 43 F 48
    2017 -32
    • Cash-Cows
    • By Cash-Cows 10th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Cash-Cows
    My concern is that if one person refused to pay for upkeep then everyone else stops paying. The one person not paying will probably be a buy to let landlord because they have no interest in keeping it pot hole free.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Jul 18, 4:00 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    need an answer
    My concern is that if one person refused to pay for upkeep then everyone else stops paying. The one person not paying will probably be a buy to let landlord because they have no interest in keeping it pot hole free.
    Originally posted by Cash-Cows
    Thats true and could be part of the reason that it took many years to finally have a set of residents who would see it as a benefit to improve the road.

You assume wrong on your BTL scenario....I am the owner of one property and its currently let to a lovely set of tenants!
    The property in question was my family home for many years but has been tenanted for about the last 5 years.

Why wouldn't a LL want to improve the property and the surroundings?
    Afterall a better road is always going to be a plus point when re advertising the property either for sale or rent.
    Last edited by need an answer; 10-07-2018 at 4:04 PM.
    in S 34 T 40 F 47
    out S 50 T 43 F 48
    2017 -32
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 10th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 19,267 Thanks
    mije1983
    Why wouldn't a LL want to improve the property and the surroundings?
    Afterall a better road is always going to be a plus point when re advertising the property either for sale or rent.
    Originally posted by need an answer

Probably for the same reasons we have numerous threads on here about LLs and the poor state of repair of the property, trying in on when it comes to deposit witholding etc. They just care about money with no thought to the tenants. You would think that keeping the property in a good state of repair would encourage tenants, and keep the ones they have, but they seem not to see it like that!

Now it IS only a minority that give the rest a bad name, but unfortunately the bad ones also tar the goods ones with the same brush.

I will say though, that when I was renting, I was in the same property for over 13 years with a very good LL. Rent was also below market value which was a bonus!

I also appreciate that the same could happen with owner-occupiers regarding not caring about the general area.

• need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Jul 18, 4:39 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    need an answer
    Probably for the same reasons we have numerous threads on here about LLs and the poor state of repair of the property, trying in on when it comes to deposit witholding etc. They just care about money with no thought to the tenants. You would think that keeping the property in a good state of repair would encourage tenants, and keep the ones they have, but they seem not to see it like that!

Now it IS only a minority that give the rest a bad name, but unfortunately the bad ones also tar the goods ones with the same brush.

I will say though, that when I was renting, I was in the same property for over 13 years with a very good LL. Rent was also below market value which was a bonus!

I also appreciate that the same could happen with owner-occupiers regarding not caring about the general area.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Although if you had quoted a little more of my post you would see you are preaching to the converted already!
    in S 34 T 40 F 47
    out S 50 T 43 F 48
    2017 -32
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    • 44,738 Posts
    • 53,203 Thanks
    G_M
    Talk to the neighbours. They'll tell you far more than the vendors will (the vendors just want to sell, as do the EA).

And if the neighbours won't talk to you, that in itself tells you a lot..........
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 44,453 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Talk to the neighbours. They'll tell you far more than the vendors will (the vendors just want to sell, as do the EA).

And if the neighbours won't talk to you, that in itself tells you a lot..........
    Originally posted by G_M
    ....and do remember to take anything they say with a pinch of salt - as they may be trying to say how they personally want things and/or how things have been done in the past and that may not be the same thing as how things are/ought to be.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,835Posts Today

9,013Users online

Martin's Twitter