Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 9th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 93Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    Getting a grip on my life...
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    Getting a grip on my life... 9th Jul 18 at 12:08 PM
    Hello All!

I’ve been a lurker on MSE for about a decade, and after finding myself in debt over the last couple of years, I’ve finally joined up and am starting my Debt Free Diary. At 33 years old, I feel like I need to get a better grip on my life and I hope my diary will help, even if just a little.

Since moving into my own rented place in summer 2012 I’ve had growing credit card debt. I owe the following…

CC1 - £3209.11
    CC2 - £1675.83

I also owe my partner approximately £700. Thankfully she is not in any rush for me to pay this back, and I’ve set up a direct debit to her account for £20 per month, so slowly it’s reducing.

I’ve paid off a good whack of my CC debts so far this year, and I was really pleased to see my credit rating jump up a bit because of this. To further improve my rating, I have a 3rd CC which I have used only for small amounts twice and have paid off completely at the end of each month.

After moving into my own place, what really got me into debt was…action figures. I’m a big comic book fan and amassed an embarrassing amount of those little Funko Pop vinyl figures in a short period of time. They’re generally £10 each so didn’t feel like too much of a splurge, which then led to me buying more and more. About a year ago, I finally completely stopped buying them and have been slowly selling them all on ebay. Thankfully, as I was so obsessed with these little figures, I knew the market quite well and managed to sell some for a decent profit. I still own about 30 and am still going through the process of selling them.

I joined up to the following survey sites at the end of May; I-Say, Swagbucks, Onepoll, Prolific, Crowdology, GFK, YourSayPays, and Populous and in about 5 weeks, I’ve earned approximately £20 in Amazon vouchers, and £30 in cash which I’m really delighted with.

Now to throw a spanner in the works…I have 2 big holidays (New York in Oct and Copenhagen in Dec) coming up before the end of the year. You might be thinking “Well she’s a bit of a plonker for going on 2 big holidays while she’s in debt” and you’d be kinda right The holiday to NYC is with my mum. My parents aren’t aware of my financial problems and I really don’t want to tell them. Mum recently received a redundancy package (which she was happy with btw!), has wanted to go to NY for years and thinks now would be a good time while she is fit and healthy. That holiday is now completely paid for; flights, hotel, insurance, coach transfers etc. I’m going to Copenhagen with my partner, who is aware of my debt; after recently coming out to our parents, we’re finally in a place where we can go on a foreign holiday. We avoided this for years for various reasons; what if one of us got sick and had to contact the other’s parents? We couldn’t buy our folks little holiday gifts, or even share holiday photos and stories with them, so we knew we just wouldn’t enjoy it. So although it’s not the best time money-wise, after 5 years of keeping our relationship a secret, we just really wanted to treat ourselves. My partner has paid for this trip (I’ll be paying her back as mentioned above).

So as I'm trying to save a little spending money for the holidays and for Christmas, for the rest of year, I'll only be paying the minimum off my CCs, while trying to avoid running into more debt. It feels like an almost unrealistic task so I’d be really grateful of any advice and support!

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading!

Clare
Page 2
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 1st Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    Good luck for the interview!
    Originally posted by GlendaSugarbean
    Thank you It didn't go all that well but nor was it a complete disaster. Not getting my hopes up though. At least it's over with!
    Debts: CC1: £1675.83 £1480.01 CC2: £3209.11 £2966.24 CC3: £704.04 £343.70 OWE PARTNER: £480.06
    2019 1% Challenge: 10%
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 2nd Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    Every interview is good practice for the next one!
    Well done for going for it x
    Proudly on my debt free journey
    CC1: £0/2120.60 CC2: £420/£3239.99
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 2nd Aug 18, 12:10 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    Every interview is good practice for the next one!
    Well done for going for it x
    Originally posted by SavingAFuture
    Thank you! You're right, at least it's some more interview experience, if nothing else!
    Debts: CC1: £1675.83 £1480.01 CC2: £3209.11 £2966.24 CC3: £704.04 £343.70 OWE PARTNER: £480.06
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 10th Aug 18, 2:59 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    I think I mentioned in my first post, my main aim for the rest of the year, is bumping up my income so I can avoid going into debt as a result of my 2 upcoming holidays and Xmas. So I've been going hell for leather on a number of the survey sites, and since the end of May I've managed to earn over £75 cash, and over £100 in Amazon vouchers. I am over the moon with that amount and hope to keep it up for the rest of the year at least. If I do, I pretty much won't have to spend any of my main income on Christmas presents....which means less credit card spending on holidays...which means avoiding further debt...which means in the new year, I can focus all my attention on paying off the CCs again. Really hoping to be debt free by 2020!

The surveys are deadly boring but I've just been forcing myself to get through them!

Still no word on the job interview...so not hopeful there!
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 10th Aug 18, 3:39 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    Also forgot to mention I'm doing my first ever mystery shopping assignment next week too! Actually pretty nervous about that but worth doing once to see how it goes.
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 14th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    Some good news....I got the promotion/job I interviewed for recently! It won't be an immediate change to my income but as I was at the top end of my previous grade, I'm now the bottom end of my new one so my annual salary will continue to grow over the next few years. Really chuffed and very surprised!!
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 6th Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    Just checking in as I haven't done much in the way of debt busting recently; minimum payments are still being paid off, and I'm still in the midst of sorting out holidays. At this stage, I'm actually hopeful that I'll be able to avoid credit card spending on both holidays (hopefully no disasters will pop up). I also have the bulk of my Christmas shopping done, all thanks to surveys and Amazon vouchers! So while I'm really looking forward to my hols, I also really can't wait for the new year so I can really get my teeth into getting rid of my debts!
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 8th Jan 19, 2:49 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    Happy New Year!

My diary was extremely neglected towards the end of last year so now I'm back with good intentions for 2019. Since beginning my diary, my debt has unfortunately crept up by about £400 (replacing a broken phone, and a hidden hotel bill from my NYC holiday were to blame) but I hope to have that £400 paid back within the next 2 months.

I've joined the 1% challenge for this year and I hope that breaking the debt down to small chunks will really make me feel like I'm making progress with it.

Last year, surveys and Amazon vouchers were a life saver around Christmas so I'm back to the grind with those.

My partner is in the middle of buying her first house; if that all goes through we're both using it as a way of changing our habits. We'll spend weekends at her new house; it's more remote so no takeaways nearby, and it has a much bigger kitchen so more incentive to cook. Estate agents are being horribly pushy so it's looking more likely to fall through unfortunately

So I'm very nervous about the house, but feeling positive about a year of debt busting ahead!
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 14th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    At the end of last week I shifted my CC2 debt to a 2 year, 0% CC, so really pleased with that. I was paying around £30 interest each month so I'll be able to make a much bigger dent in it from now on.

And my partner's new house is looking more positive; still not getting our hopes up until she actually has the keys in her hand though!

I have a few ebay items ending this week and should be able to pay off another 1% of my overall debt.

Debt-wise, a postive start to 2019!
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 17th Jan 19, 9:09 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    Some annoying news yesterday...my rent is going up by £25 per month. Not a huge amount but £25 less to throw at the debt. I was pretty disheartened last night but I know if I really knuckle down and start bringing a packed lunch to work EVERY day, that'll be more than enough to cover it, plus more for the CCs.

Ah well...onwards and upwards
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 31st Jan 19, 4:08 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    I'm very glad to see the end of January! I had a bit of a difficult month personally, as well as the usual huge gap between my December and January pay, but got paid today at last!

Since my last post, my CC balance transfer has gone through, so I can now start to chip away while the 0% is still in place.

I started using YNAB last week; finding it complicated as most people seem to at the start, but I'm planning on sticking with it for 3 months, then reevaluating.

Today I switched my current account which I haven't done for years; moving to First Direct and if all goes well, will get a nice £125 bonus for doing so! I've always been reticent to move to an online only bank but over the last couple of years, I've used online/app banking about 95% of the time so I don't imagine it'll be much of a change really.

Also blagged a free lunch at work yesterday, and 2 free cinema tickets for complaining about manky toilets, so things are looking up!

In my very first diary post, I mentioned I was selling off quite a lot of my action figures and pop culture memorabilia and I'm still plugging away with that although reaching the end of that process; while I'm glad to have the empty shelves, I'll definitely miss the little bit if extra income it provided.
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 11th Feb 19, 2:20 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    Paid another 1% off my overall total today, bringing me up to 8%. I've been recording my %s in a little money notebook, colouring in each square as I pay it off. I hope to have 10% done by the end of the month so will be really excited to have coloured in my first line! It's the small things....

Have been doing pretty well with freebies this month too...just back from a talk by a well known cosmetics company about their sustainability, and got myself a lovely free soap!

Tonight will consist of me making my way through a massive pile of laundry (I live alone....how do I have so much to wash?!), and eating some leftover meatballs from the weekend. I'm also trying to work my way through any DVDs I own but haven't watched, and in a month or two, chucking them all in a box for Music Magpie or the like. I know DVDs get only a few pennies of most of those sites, but every little helps.

Feeling quite positive recently about the debt busting...almost afraid to be too positive in case karma decides to throw something in my way
    • FaceHeelTurn
    • By FaceHeelTurn 12th Feb 19, 12:12 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FaceHeelTurn
    Feeling extra motivated today and have decided to go for another promotion at work. It's highly unlikely that I'll even reach the interview stage, but I feel like I'm stagnating a bit in life currently and so I thought I would just go for it. It would be a very noticeable jump to my salary, and I have all the essential criteria so why not?!

Last night I did some laundry, had my leftover meatballs but instead of watching a movie like planned, I watched The Office. For the umpteenth time. Just goes to show that most of the DVDs I own, I have little actual interest in, so I think a Music Magpie offering might come sooner rather than later.

Tonight I plan to box up an ebay item that ends tomorrow (and should facilitate another 1% payment off my debt), and tidy up my bedroom a bit; it's a compete tip!

Might also try to finish reading a book; I've set a target of reading 40 books this year on Goodreads; I've read 6 so far, so I'm ahead of schedule!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,553Posts Today

5,182Users online

Martin's Twitter