Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sajeevjos
    • By sajeevjos 9th Jul 18, 11:54 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sajeevjos
    end of tenancy carpet replacement quote
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:54 AM
    end of tenancy carpet replacement quote 9th Jul 18 at 11:54 AM
    Hi All,

The end of Tenancy was on 23rd June 2018.
    There is burnt mark in the main bedroom carpet.
    This was caused by my Iron box.
    The landlord wants to replace carpet. The carpet was new when I moved into the house.
    I have lived in the property for 2.5 years. So the carpet is now 2.5 years old.

The quote they received to replace the carpet in main bedroom is 414 .
    And the landlord ask me to pay 80 % of that amount which is 340.

Please advice what is the legitimate amount I need to pay is 80% is reasonable.

Cheers,
    Sajeev
Page 1
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    Personally I find that reasonable if the burn is visible easily in a prominent place

Is the burn in an obvious place or could it be in an area where a piece could be patched in?

What figure did you have in mind?

If of course you want to challenge the amount that is what the deposit adjudication is for so take that route.
    in S 40 T 64 F 61
    out S 58 T 67 F 74
    2017 -32
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 9th Jul 18, 12:10 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Gary123456790
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:10 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:10 PM
    It depends on the expected life of a carpet in a rental property. If it is 5 years then you should be liable for 50% of the cost as the carpet was already half way through its life. If the expected life is 10 years then you'd be liable for 75% as it was 1/4 through its life.

I would say that carpets in rental properties dont last as long as owned homes as they are not as well looked after, also depends on the quality of the carpet that was there. If it was a cheap one then it may well only last 5 years. What is the overall condition of the carpet?

Thanks
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 9th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 16,081 Posts
    • 22,117 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    Hi All,

The end of Tenancy was on 23rd June 2018.
    There is burnt mark in the main bedroom carpet.
    This was caused by my Iron box.
    The landlord wants to replace carpet. The carpet was new when I moved into the house.
    I have lived in the property for 2.5 years. So the carpet is now 2.5 years old.

The quote they received to replace the carpet in main bedroom is 414 .
    And the landlord ask me to pay 80 % of that amount which is 340.

Please advice what is the legitimate amount I need to pay is 80% is reasonable.

Cheers,
    Sajeev
    Originally posted by sajeevjos
    You burnt a carpet that was only 2.5 years old.

At 80%, the landlord is giving a lifespan of 12.5 years, which is reasonable.

I paid 230 for a reasonable quality (synthetic) carpet in a double room recently.

I'm assuming this is a higher quality carpet hence the cost.

Their claim seems fair.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 9th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    • 9,924 Posts
    • 13,506 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    Offer them half what they asked for or deposit adjudication.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 9th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    Do you have contents insurance with accidental damage?
    Compensation/Refunds - 4,165 | Stooz Profits - 7,636 | Quidco - 4,060 | Tax Avoidance - 107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jul 18, 1:09 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:09 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:09 PM

I would say that carpets in rental properties dont last as long as owned homes as they are not as well looked after, also depends on the quality of the carpet that was there. If it was a cheap one then it may well only last 5 years. What is the overall condition of the carpet?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Gary123456790
    I would disagree on this,the carpets in my rental properties on the whole are looked after far better by the tenants than my family treat our own,simply I believe because the tenant wants their deposit back.
    I don't ask them to remove shoes or cover carpets with additional rugs but many of my tenants simply protect a lot better than homeowners IMO.

I'm always a little perplexed by the idea that a carpet life span is 5 years, i'm sure neither homeowners nor LL's replace that often and if they did carpet right wouldn't be in the financial position they are now with poor trading figures

In this case the overall condition of the carpet is not relevant.It was new 2and a half years ago and has now been damaged beyond what is classed as wear and tear
    in S 40 T 64 F 61
    out S 58 T 67 F 74
    2017 -32
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 9th Jul 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 2,472 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:21 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:21 PM
    How big is the bedroom, that sounds a lot for a bedroom quality carpet. Also this from the TDS,

https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com/resources/files/Product%20Lifespans%20Guide_DIGITAL.PDF
    Last edited by parkrunner; 09-07-2018 at 2:23 PM.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jul 18, 2:27 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:27 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:27 PM
    How big is the bedroom, that sounds a lot for a bedroom quality carpet. Also this from the TDS,

https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com/resources/files/Product%20Lifespans%20Guide_DIGITAL.PDF
    Originally posted by parkrunner

The LL is not obliged to use "bedroom quality " carpet they are entitled to replace with like for like
    Potentially the LL used higher grade carpet of the type your link refers to as "high"

The LL isn't able to claim betterment but theres nothing to say that the carpet should be lower grade than what they already have or indeed that they need to use "bedroom quality" stuff

Surely each case must be judged on its own merits and no 2 cases are the same.
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-07-2018 at 2:39 PM.
    in S 40 T 64 F 61
    out S 58 T 67 F 74
    2017 -32
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 9th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    If it was new, ask how much they paid for it in the first place.

If it was a cheap carpet it wouldn't last as long either.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jul 18, 3:25 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    need an answer
    If it was new, ask how much they paid for it in the first place.

If it was a cheap carpet it wouldn't last as long either.
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    The LL does not need to provide receipts or information about the cost of items within a rental property.

Who says cheap carpet doesn't last long?

It depends how it is treated,some can last far longer than 5 years.

In this case it appears that the only reason the OP 's tenanted carpet needs replacing is because its been damaged so nothing to do with wear and tear.
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-07-2018 at 3:28 PM.
    in S 40 T 64 F 61
    out S 58 T 67 F 74
    2017 -32
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 9th Jul 18, 6:00 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 2,472 Thanks
    parkrunner
    The LL is not obliged to use "bedroom quality " carpet they are entitled to replace with like for like
    Potentially the LL used higher grade carpet of the type your link refers to as "high"

The LL isn't able to claim betterment but theres nothing to say that the carpet should be lower grade than what they already have or indeed that they need to use "bedroom quality" stuff

Surely each case must be judged on its own merits and no 2 cases are the same.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    The LL does not need to provide receipts or information about the cost of items within a rental property.

Who says cheap carpet doesn't last long?

It depends how it is treated,some can last far longer than 5 years.

In this case it appears that the only reason the OP 's tenanted carpet needs replacing is because its been damaged so nothing to do with wear and tear.
    Originally posted by need an answer

First bolded bit I completely agree with, the second bolded bit means it can't be judged on it's merits though if the LL refuses to prove the original cost.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 9th Jul 18, 6:14 PM
    • 17,026 Posts
    • 41,947 Thanks
    FBaby
    The fact that they factored in a 20% reduction show they have an understanding of the rules around W&T. I expect that they are therefore likely to know how to make a good case to the deposit scheme if you don't agree.

Personally, I would suggest a 30% deduction, you never know, they might have gone for 80% expecting 70%, but in the end, the adjudicator is likely to agree with them unless you can evidence that the carpet wouldn't have reasonable lasted more than 5 years even if treated with care.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 9th Jul 18, 7:04 PM
    • 4,490 Posts
    • 6,228 Thanks
    kinger101
    Sounds reasonable to me.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jul 18, 7:20 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    need an answer
    First bolded bit I completely agree with, the second bolded bit means it can't be judged on it's merits though if the LL refuses to prove the original cost.
    Originally posted by parkrunner
    I'm glad you agree with the first bolded comment...it was directly lifted from the document you quoted.

The second bolded comment was more in reply to the poster who said the tenant should ask for details of cost etc, I would be happy to justify any cost or receipts to the deposit service if required,but I personally don't think its a question that the tenant should be posing to the LL direct to prove cost

Would it be right for me to directly question the tenant how he spends his money?
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-07-2018 at 7:44 PM.
    in S 40 T 64 F 61
    out S 58 T 67 F 74
    2017 -32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,903Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How do you rate your energy provider's recent service? Please vote in the latest MSE site poll? https://t.co/nkYxGbiXqe

• RT @Gillsnatter: "The phrase I hate is: it's only money. Money is one of the biggest causes of divorce it's one of the biggest causes of me?

• RT @TrevorNeal: Thanks Martin! It didn?t go unnoticed. Good to meet you too. We?re more likely to Swing Our Pensions these days..! #MartinL?

• Follow Martin