Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FifiAnne
    • By FifiAnne 9th Jul 18, 10:09 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    FifiAnne
    Student laptop advice
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:09 AM
    Student laptop advice 9th Jul 18 at 10:09 AM
    Hi

I've posted this on the techie thread as well, but thought someone here might be able to offer insight/experience.

My daughter starts 6th form in Sept, at present she has an ipad and uses my laptop when needed. I think she's going to need something of her own so have been looking at what's available. TBH a bit shocked at prices!

I thought it would be better to buy something good quality now which would last the 5 years of A-levels and Uni, but I got conflicting advice in PC World, one person said 5 years isxa ling time to expect a laptop to work well and I should consider buying cheap and cheerful now and then something decent if and when she gets a uni place.

Can anyone give me any advice or share experiences of what's actually needed for studies? She's doing sciences and maths.

Thanks.

Fi
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th Jul 18, 10:13 AM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:13 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:13 AM
    He sort of has a point.

Unfortunatly in the current market "cheap and cheerful" usually means a cpu worse than one ten years ago. Basically a tablet masquerading as a laptop.

I'm sure you will be reserved at the idea and she will hate it, but get a nice refurbished business model from the places that do that sort of thing. That's where the sensible money is (or spend 2000 odd on a current business model if you prefer).

And quite frankly any current machine is good enough for studies. Even for computing subjects (as long as it's x64). It's just a matter of patience. It always has been. no need for anything expensive if you cannot.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,294Posts Today

6,240Users online

Martin's Twitter