Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amal91
    • By amal91 9th Jul 18, 7:41 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    amal91
    Quit or get fired?
    • 9th Jul 18, 7:41 AM
    Quit or get fired? 9th Jul 18 at 7:41 AM
    Iím about to go through some training then progress onto a new job due to being sick of the place Iím currently working at, but this new job Iím going to do will ask me to start as soon as I can but my notice period is 4 weeks, they need staff ASAP and itís a career Iíve wanted to do for years, wages are a lot better than what Iím currently on, do I quit and potentially risk being sued(likelihood is low) or do I get myself fired and start my new job immediately? I know itís stupid getting myself fired but Iím at the point in this job where I really donít care anymore for how bad it is working there.
Page 1
    • SarahandherCat
    • By SarahandherCat 9th Jul 18, 9:43 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    SarahandherCat
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:43 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:43 AM
    I'd just quit and say you're not working your notice period. Very unlikely they would do anything silly, either that or just call in sick for 4 weeks.
    • LuSiVe
    • By LuSiVe 9th Jul 18, 9:51 AM
    • 836 Posts
    • 1,119 Thanks
    LuSiVe
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:51 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:51 AM
    Or why don't you do the grown up thing of actually going and talking to the people you work for and see if there can be a compromise.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 9th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    mikep22
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    Or why don't you do the grown up thing of actually going and talking to the people you work for and see if there can be a compromise.
    Originally posted by LuSiVe
    This is what I did when I had a 3 month notice period. I had a number of set tasks to do, and then they let me go half way through.

To be honest, if your notice period is 4 weeks, the hoops they would need to go through in order to fire you would take nearly that time anyway.

I am not 100% sure of the law but if you arent there they dont have to pay you and therefore sueing you for damages might be very difficult for them.

I am not sure why you have put it in this section of the forum, as this is more of a law issue then a "making money" one...
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606
    • Super Trouper
    • By Super Trouper 9th Jul 18, 11:19 AM
    • 813 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Super Trouper
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:19 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:19 AM
    Just quit. What are you going to do to get yourself fired - Slap the boss? Streak naked? Seems easier just to not turn up one day, they'll get the message.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 9th Jul 18, 11:29 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    mikep22
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:29 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:29 AM
    Just quit. What are you going to do to get yourself fired - Slap the boss? Streak naked? Seems easier just to not turn up one day, they'll get the message.
    Originally posted by Super Trouper
    What about slapping the boss, while naked, while drunk?
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 9th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    What Mikep22 said.
    • amal91
    • By amal91 9th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    amal91
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    mikep22
    ď
    Originally posted by LuSiVe
    ĒThis is what I did when I had a 3 month notice period. I had a number of set tasks to do, and then they let me go half way through.

To be honest, if your notice period is 4 weeks, the hoops they would need to go through in order to fire you would take nearly that time anyway.

I am not 100% sure of the law but if you arent there they dont have to pay you and therefore sueing you for damages might be very difficult for them.

I am not sure why you have put it in this section of the forum, as this is more of a law issue then a "making money" one...
    Sorry Iím new to this so didnít know how to post in a certain category, if I was to let them know Iím leaving they would just make my life hell for 4 weeks, then Iíd end up doing something regrettable like punching someone and making things worse.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 9th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    mikep22
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    Sorry Iím new to this so didnít know how to post in a certain category, if I was to let them know Iím leaving they would just make my life hell for 4 weeks, then Iíd end up doing something regrettable like punching someone and making things worse.
    Originally posted by amal91
    Just quit then.

I would hope the "I would just end up punching someone" is in jest, else you have bigger issues to worry about....maybe a spot of anger management....
    If they are going beyond the boundaries of acceptable behaviour, you go down the standard routes in reporting it, to their bosses and/or HR.
    If they dont have that, you have very little to worry about by just walking.
    • Christoph2390
    • By Christoph2390 9th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Christoph2390
    As for intentionally getting fired, that is ridiculous. Imagine a scenario where you need to explain to a future employer your reason for leaving that job. I have seen many many people who have been fired who have really struggled to get another job. It will be on references as well as your disclosure.

Just speak to them about it. If you can't negotiate a shorter notice period then tell them you don't intend to do the full period. Companies rarely go to tribunal unless its an executive position with a golden parachute payment in the contract, it's not worth it. You probably just won't get paid for the full month (you have broken the contract of employment).
    • JessyRM
    • By JessyRM 9th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    JessyRM
    Have you been given a start date for this new role...ASAP might actually not be as soon as you think?

As others have said, speak to your manager. Tell them you are leaving and although you understand there is 4 weeks notice period you would like to leave ASAP as the new employer cannot wait. Getting yourself fired will take longer than 4 weeks unless you do something deemed as gross misconduct...which will make getting any job in the future harder.

Do you have annual leave you can use to cover the 4 weeks? then you could start at your new role immediately?
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 9th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    mikep22
    Have you been given a start date for this new role...ASAP might actually not be as soon as you think?

As others have said, speak to your manager. Tell them you are leaving and although you understand there is 4 weeks notice period you would like to leave ASAP as the new employer cannot wait. Getting yourself fired will take longer than 4 weeks unless you do something deemed as gross misconduct...which will make getting any job in the future harder.

Do you have annual leave you can use to cover the 4 weeks? then you could start at your new role immediately?
    Originally posted by JessyRM
    Or based on an earlier comment, in prison....
    • amal91
    • By amal91 10th Jul 18, 7:41 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    amal91
    Just quit then.

I would hope the "I would just end up punching someone" is in jest, else you have bigger issues to worry about....maybe a spot of anger management....
    If they are going beyond the boundaries of acceptable behaviour, you go down the standard routes in reporting it, to their bosses and/or HR.
    If they dont have that, you have very little to worry about by just walking.
    Haha of course it was just a joke, but as much as Iíd love to though, as Iím sure many people have thought about it too. But quitting seems like my best option!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 16,736 Posts
    • 42,223 Thanks
    elsien
    The new job have taken up your references and confirmed the job offer? If not, walking out is premature and could leave you with no job.

You might also want to consider the impact just walking might have on your new employers if they find out you left the old one in the lurch. Talk to them
    And find out what is meant by asap. My job was asap but still took 6 weeks because of waiting for the DBS checks to come through.
    Last edited by elsien; 10-07-2018 at 9:04 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Summer17
    • By Summer17 10th Jul 18, 8:44 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Summer17
    Just say you got another job in another country.. doubt they do anything about that
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 10th Jul 18, 8:47 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    mikep22
    Haha of course it was just a joke, but as much as Iíd love to though, as Iím sure many people have thought about it too. But quitting seems like my best option!
    Originally posted by amal91
    I have felt frustration, irritation, WTFism, but I can safely say I have never had the urge to commit assault based on differences in the workplace...let alone "love to"....

Speak to them....
    • compHunter
    • By compHunter 10th Jul 18, 10:56 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    compHunter
    Politely explain that you are leaving and would like to leave on 1 weeks notice. Very unlikely they'll do anything but also worth asking if you want to burn those bridges. Will the new company not wait 4 weeks? Thats a standard wait for a hire usually
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,015Posts Today

8,258Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin