Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KjDot
    • By KjDot 8th Jul 18, 11:35 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 3Thanks
    KjDot
    CIFAS category 6 marker please help!!!
    • 8th Jul 18, 11:35 PM
    CIFAS category 6 marker please help!!! 8th Jul 18 at 11:35 PM
    Please help me I believe I have a cifas category 6 marker. I’m 16 and I am not an active card user. Around the end of March this year I lost my card and the temporary phone I was using (which had all my details in it). I did not have any money on it and since I had exams coming up I decided to focus on my grades and revising. Then around mid June I got a letter saying that Lloyd’s are giving me 60 days as they are closing my account. From this my Halifax account also closed (which was my savings account),I then I opened a NatWest and after about 2/3 weeks o got a letter saying that the account will close. On closure they sent me a letter telling me to do a SAR on Cifas but as I am 16 I cannot do it, but NatWest and Halifax both hinted at me that I had a cat 6 on my record. Straight away I check the online banking of my Lloyd’s and between April and May somebody was moving large amounts of money on my card and withdrawing it and I wasn’t notified once. Now I have a permanent phone, my exams just finished and I cancelled the card that I lost but can somebody help me on what I do from here please. I really don’t understand what is happening.
Page 2
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 18th Jul 18, 10:57 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    boo_star
    First time poster - welcome to MSE.
    I promise to be nice but IMO I doubt whether this is a true story as written.
    Prove to us that this is not made up - scan a photo of one of the letters (masking all private information of course).

I don't believe you can have a CIFAS marker before the age of 18.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    Why do you believe this?

I don't see why there would be an age restriction for CIFAS. Are you going by the name? Because although the C does stand for credit they've been checking applications that aren't for credit for years now.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 19th Jul 18, 8:17 AM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 2,673 Thanks
    alanq
    Here is a case of a Money Mule aged 17 with a CIFAS marker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43897614
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th Jul 18, 8:23 AM
    • 33,155 Posts
    • 20,877 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Has this affected my credit score or is my credit score still okay but there is a marker on my name?
    Originally posted by KjDot
    Check your report with 1 of the credit agencies but ignore the score.

Will I be able to drive by my birthday next year?
    Will you be able to drive, well who knows, if you have the money then yes as you can buy the car in cash, if you need to borrow the money then you might be unlucky with only being 18. The cifas marker stays for a year.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 19th Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    • 3,377 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    I would be really surprised if OP genuinely had nothing to do with what occurred.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • KjDot
    • By KjDot 8th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KjDot
    Update: I am still awaiting a response from Cifas, another question is will this affect me from going on holiday around Christmas time?
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 8th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 2,294 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    What has a CIFAS marker got to do with driving or having a holiday?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 8th Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    • 8,777 Posts
    • 10,048 Thanks
    eskbanker
    What has a CIFAS marker got to do with driving or having a holiday?
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Perhaps OP is visualising arriving at a foreign airport to be greeted with the business end of an array of submachine guns or (perhaps worse) burly border guards snapping on rubber gloves, ahead of immediate deportation? Seems somewhat unlikely that they'll be particularly close to the top of Interpol's 'most wanted' list though....
    • KjDot
    • By KjDot 8th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KjDot
    Sweet one love you guy!!!8252;!!!65039;
    • its_all_over
    • By its_all_over 8th Aug 18, 10:03 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    its_all_over
    Check your report with 1 of the credit agencies but ignore the score.

Will you be able to drive, well who knows, if you have the money then yes as you can buy the car in cash, if you need to borrow the money then you might be unlucky with only being 18.

The cifas marker stays for a year.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I think CIFAS markers changed to being valid for 6 years some time ago.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 33,155 Posts
    • 20,877 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I think CIFAS markers changed to being valid for 6 years some time ago.
    Originally posted by its_all_over
    Thanks I knew that but no idea what I was thinking when I made the reply.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 9th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    phillw
    There is no credit score, that is just a bit of fun offered by the credit reference companies.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    I always find that a little misleading.

You are right in that don't have a single credit score, but every single company that looks at your credit history gives you a defacto score which you never see. They each have slightly different ways of scoring you, which the credit reference companies try to give an overall indication of in their scores.

This might be what you're indicating when you're saying that it's "just a bit of fun", but they don't do it for fun. They do it because it actually helps, saying it's "just a bit of fun" doesn't help.

I would be really surprised if OP genuinely had nothing to do with what occurred.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    Whether this is one of those "someone paid me money to use my account and told me to report the card stolen a few months later and now I have a CIFAS marker because the bank won't believe my lies", or whether the card was lost along with a phone that contained the PIN, the bank has come to the view that the OP has facilitated fraud which may have cost them a lot of money.

I would read the T&C carefully because not reporting the card missing and storing the card pin code on your mobile phone will probably be in violation of the T&C of the account.

It's a hard lesson. The worse thing is that the person laundering the money is unlikely to get caught and will keep doing it.
    Last edited by phillw; 09-08-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 9th Aug 18, 1:06 PM
    • 3,377 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Whether this is one of those "someone paid me money to use my account and told me to report the card stolen a few months later and now I have a CIFAS marker because the bank won't believe my lies", or whether the card was lost along with a phone that contained the PIN, the bank has come to the view that the OP has facilitated fraud which may have cost them a lot of money.
    Originally posted by phillw
    There are also cases on the FOS decisions site where this has (been claimed to have) happened as the OP has said it has, or with a slight variation, and it's not been upheld - a selection of three from the many, many, many cases there are (hundreds since 2013):

http://ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=23999
    http://ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=72611
    http://ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=76853

I will, again, state that it is extremely unlikely that this has happened as OP has said it had.
    Last edited by JuicyJesus; 09-08-2018 at 1:12 PM.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • KjDot
    • By KjDot 10th Aug 18, 11:02 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KjDot
    I!!!8217;ve got a response back from Cifas and I do have a Cat 6 marker on my name from the start of May
    • KjDot
    • By KjDot 10th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KjDot
    I was told that this is removed when they realise the fraudulent activity stops, or it falls off after a year, or will it just stop in 6 years so I will be 22 turning 23 as I am 17 now
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 10th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 3,377 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    I!!!8217;ve got a response back from Cifas and I do have a Cat 6 marker on my name from the start of May
    That's not surprising, your account has been used for fraud and you have no evidence that anybody except yourself did it.

If you have any such evidence - for example, you reporting the loss of your phone and subsequent fraud to police - then it's in your interests to send it to your (former) bank to see if they will be lenient. Until you do this, or until the marker drops off, you will find that the Cat6 marker is basically credit repellent.

You probably won't have trouble getting a student loan due to the marker, at least for the tuition fee portion; you will have difficulty getting a maintenance loan because you won't have a bank account to pay the funds into. Mobile phone contracts will be similarly out of bounds. General consumer contracts, for example holidays, airlines, trains or online shopping, are unlikely to search CIFAS and thus will be unlikely to be off limits to you.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 10th Aug 18, 11:24 AM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Can you post a pic?
    • KjDot
    • By KjDot 10th Aug 18, 3:44 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KjDot
    Do you think I will be able to start forex trading with the company IML?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 8,777 Posts
    • 10,048 Thanks
    eskbanker
    You are having a laugh, right?

Perhaps you should get into binary trading too, with a side portion of crypto and perhaps some 8% bonds for fun as well.

Or maybe just try to find your way back to the real world....
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 10th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 3,377 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    No. Also why the f*ck would you want to?

You're 16, for a start. And you have a CIFAS marker for fraud, which you've not even tried to pretend since your original post that you weren't involved in. Weird that.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • realgonekid
    • By realgonekid 10th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    realgonekid
    Stop feeding the stupidly obvious troll.....

Unable to provide any evidence why do some people even bother?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,459Posts Today

8,111Users online

Martin's Twitter