Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 20,507Posts
    • 233,152Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 9th July 2018
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 9th July 2018 8th Jul 18 at 9:19 PM
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - kitchen dining etc

Level 1

Check your fridge - clean any drains, make sure it's cold and clean
    clear out any wilting veg
    wipe seals
    we need to keep food covered and cold in this heat - flies are multiplying
    wipe all countertop appliances - kettle; toaster, coffee maker etc
    move them and clean all worktops
    Put some water in to cool

Level 2

Wipe cupboard fronts, drawer fronts and handles
    Clean the windows
    Sweep the floor
    Mop or vacuum floor if appropriate

Level 3
    Change tabel cloth and /or wipe mats
    Polish table and chairs

Dust where necessary
    Clean windows

Extras
    S&S bathrrom
    HHI
    MAD half hour
    Use the oven intelligently =- can you make two meals and save cooking time later?

Tip Top Tuesday - bathroom bliss

Level 1

Remove all towels/cloths etc and pop them into the wash - make it a HOT wash and give your machine a clean at the same time!
    Get a clean, damp cloth and wipe all the place fingers touch
    Scrub the loo inside and out.
    Finish with a slosh of bleach
    Polish the towel rail.

Level 2
    Clean the handbasin(s)
    Remove the plug and clean it thoroughly
    Remove anything icky from the plughole
    be a bleach baby and bleach that plughole!

Level 3
    Clean baths and showers
    Wash any shower curtains
    Clean any shower screens - I use detergent in hot water to wipe off the scum and then finish with windowcleaner for a sparkle
    If you use a wiper give the rubber blade a good wipe over
    Mop the floor.

Extras
    Empty a cupboard in there. Throw out anything icky and wipe the shelves over before replacing all tidily.

Top up the loo roll store.

Clean the window - wipe the frame before cleaning the glass.

Vacuum the dust out of the extractor fan cover - if you have one!

Empty the bin - and wash it and leave it outside in the sun to dry!

Get a bucket of hot water - give the loo brush a good rinse and put it out in the sun to dry! Don't forget the holder! Damp, scummy brushes breed germs. If it's too awful to contemplate, wrap it and bin it and buy a new one from a cheap household store.

Wipy Wednesday RECLAIM YOUR LOUNGE

Level 1

Fling the window(s) open.
    Empty bins
    Attend to plants - wipe leaves, water
    Attend to flowers - whizz or water; root out floppy flowerheads
    Clean windows
    Wipe window frames
    Dust curtain tracks

Level 2

Plump cushions
    Wipe or vacuum sofas and chairs as appropriate
    Get a damp cloth and wipe switches and sockets
    Clear clutter out

Level 3
    Dust everywhere including skirtings, picture rails and dado rails
    Vacuum as far as you can (inc under furniture)

Extras

Usual S&S in the kitchen and bathroom
    HHI
    MAD Half hour

Thursday Thrills

Hall, stairs, landing

Level 1

Clear any detritus
    Bang mats outside
    Wash front door inside and out
    Sweep step

Level 2
    Clean windows
    Wipe sills
    Polish mirrors

Level 3
    Dust everywhere
    Vacuum/sweep/mop floors

Extras
    S&S kitchen and bathroom
    MAD half hour
    Last edited by Valli; 12-07-2018 at 7:07 AM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 5
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 12th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 36,605 Thanks
    ionafan
    Sorry to hear about the job that wasn't advertised with you in mind, Jojo. Something will come up in due course.

Welcome maninblack32. You clean a garage??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMHO that's a job for whoever cleans the car
    Personally, I would do each bathroom/ensuite/loo with the adjoining bedroom/hallway, then you've got a sparkling area rather than single room that hardly anybody sees.

I wasn't intending to do it, but this morning I have emptied, defrosted, cleaned and sorted both freezers, to make space for a delivery from the Land of Snow tomorrow - it would have been rude to have ignored the 5 off they gave me Thankfully, my bank balance can just about cope with their minimum amount to qualify (I only spent 69p over the minimum ), and with all the added free extras on SW ready meals and a bag of frozen rice I have covered all DH's main meals for the long weekend at the end of August when I shall be away at a conference. Result

I have also S&S'd the kitchen, having hoovered and steam mopped the floor yesterday, and updated the toddler group accounts.

Plan for the rest of the day:
    - have my shower
    - clean the bathroom
    - prepare a story and craft activity for the toddlers
    - cook a fry-up for early lunch
    - run the toddler group
    - take Rosie for a walk
    - collapse for an hour
    - cook tea
    - start typing up the first section of my essay

Having weighed in at SW on Tuesday for the first time since the beginning of June, I have updated my signature. I need to lose half a stone by the middle of September, which should be doable if I am careful. Valli, could you please update the Slinky Wannabes list (also I think you'll find my name accidentally appears twice) - thank you.

Will catch up later. Hope everyone has a good and slightly cooler day xx
    Last edited by ionafan; 12-07-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    10/07/2018: 11 st 5 lb
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 12th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 7,462 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Flying advice please !!!55357;!!!56842;

I've moved into a much bigger house !!!55356;!!!57313; So I'm having to adapt my weekly and daily lists.

Question is those with bigger houses how do you split it down? For example I have 4 bathrooms now. Do you do all on the same day or spread out and do with bedrooms?

I've got 6 bedrooms and a utility and a double garage so any advice how to split this down?

I'm doing my normal SSs and hitting hot spots but just wondering how to best break down into zones. Feel like all I'm doing is cleaning lol xx
    Originally posted by Maninblack32
    A cleaner???
    Yes, I'm being a little flippant, but, goodness me, that is a lot to keep on top of.
    Do you fill the house, or are some rooms only used occasionally? I would definitely restrict the use of two of the bathrooms if you could.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 12th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 7,462 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    A really productive morning. Good job really, we go away tomorrow!

Flying this week

Pack for going away just the kitchen stuff to do
    Pack car
    Tidy our bedroom
    Tidy Pickle's room
    Tidy Bathroom
    Tidy hall, stairs and landing

Tidy kitchen
    Tidy dining room The dining room table is clear!!!!
    Tidy front room
    'Leaving the house for 3 week's tasks' (will break down later)
    Birthday pressie for M
    Leaving gift for c
    Birthday cards for bil & sil

Keep on top of washing - All done. Just drying.
    Stuff to loft
    Tidy loftthis needs an enormous position on the list as it was a big job! 3 bags of rubbish to the tip and lots of stuff listed on a fb freebie thread
    Stuff to cellar
    Keep cellar tidy -going well so far!
    Empty & defrost cellar freezer
    Sort food order for Lake District
    Sort back yard for 'going away'

Bins out and put away (Thursday)
    Work for 1 day (Wednesday)
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 1
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 2
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 3
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 4

Declutter wardrobe cupboard 5
    Declutter under our bed
    Declutter blanket Box
    Declutter bedside cabinet 1
    Declutter bedside cabinet 2
    Instructions for cleaner for summer deep clean.

Monday extras
    Sorted the drinks cabinet - highlighted three gin bottles with only a single measure In each one- 1 per night I think!

Tuesday extras
    Tip run
    Act as delivery driver
    Small food top up shop

Wednesday extras
    Non, I may Work from home, but I don't move from my desk while I'm doing it.

Thursday extras
    Library books returned
    Decluttered clothes to charity
    Car filled up
    Gobble distributed to grateful recipients
    Nappies bought and put away properly
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    • Maninblack32
    • By Maninblack32 12th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Maninblack32
    ioanfan - yes I do clean the garage lol Only because our pet rats are in there so had to be cleaned because a) one of the rats has allergies and b) hunny allergic to rats pee so have to clean them regularly. I think doing with the bedrooms and hall would be a good idea!

Wishingthemortgageaway - I do have a cleaner once a week and she does a lot a I can't do as I'm disabled. Things like stairs, hoovering and windows. All rooms are used, three as bedrooms, one is husbands office and one is my craft room (we work from home a lot) and one is my little boys playroom. The bathrooms one is our ensuite, one is main which I use as need baths and other is sons ensuite. Other is downstairs loo for guests !!!55357;!!!56841; The one shower isn't used. Everything else is. I think I'll just SS everyday and get cleaner to do showers and baths properly once a week.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 12th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 8,096 Thanks
    Fayolle
    I've posted a birthday card - does that count as flying? If not, then I'm a REALLY bad flylady. Oh - I've just put dinner in the sc, so that might redeem me.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    • 24,498 Posts
    • 97,242 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I'd increase the cleaner's hours to come twice a week.

Vacuum all areas and do two bathrooms one day, the others and the windows the next, divvying up other tasks as you see fit between the days.

It's a huge house, after all - I can't imagine it being cheap, so it's reasonable that somebody disabled spends proportionately more on a cleaner than one with a two bed cottage - higher cost home, higher cost heating, higher cost furnishing, higher cost cleaning: purely logical. And zero guilt about it.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 12th Jul 18, 6:50 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 51,304 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Got a rejection letter from the other place this afternoon. I'd love to know how they've managed to find so many people with the very specific experience they asked for that I don't even make the shortlist.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted

If they were that specific about what they asked for and rejected your application immediately, that's usually a sign that they were forced to advertise it externally but they knew exactly who they wanted to appoint. It's nothing to do with your competence or professionalism. I do wish employers didn't do it, but they're forced into it by equal opportunities legislation they're technically sort of complying with, while not doing so at all iyswim.

I'm shattered. I really only wanted to do four hours a week volunteering and was flat out for seven, no breaks. I'm hoping it settles down again because I haven't got the energy to do much more today and I can't get through all of the stuff that needs doing here at the moment.

Will spend an hour typing up froggie mintutes, I think.
    Keeping it AF
    • Maninblack32
    • By Maninblack32 12th Jul 18, 10:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Maninblack32
    Thanks JoJo The Tightfisted. You are right. I'm not complaining as I'm lucky but it's a lot of floor and toilets lol

I've done my lists to break into zones so I'll "fly" next week and see how it goes.

I've done a list for cleaner to so should be straight forward (fingers crossed)
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Jul 18, 10:42 PM
    • 36,789 Posts
    • 473,552 Thanks
    pigpen
    So today I have done nothing..

4 schools runs.. it was the summer disco and they have separate ones for KS1 and KS2.. lots of walking!
    shunted money out of childrens bank accounts into their trust funds.. much neater.. Squeak just won 25 on her bonds..

I went to shop, washed my hair (not at the shop, I did that at home before I went out), bought birthday cards for OH and picked up bathroom laundry.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/07/2018 52998.57 (2.41% int.)
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 13th Jul 18, 6:36 AM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 7,462 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    We go away this morning so I'm here to update the list and expand the 'leave the house for 3 weeks' part of the list.

Flying this week

Pack for going away last minute things & cool bag of fridge stuff to go.
    Pack car done up to the point it could be last night
    Tidy our bedroom
    Tidy Pickle's room
    Tidy Bathroom

Tidy kitchen
    Tidy dining room The dining room table is clear!!!!
    Tidy front room
    'Leaving the house for 3 week's tasks' (will break down later)
    close all windows
    Empty all bins inc nappy bin
    Washing done & hung up
    Dishwasher washed and emptied
    Empty fridge (all on 1 shelf, just needs putting in cool bag)
    Keep cat in
    Check house is tidy
    Check back door locked

Birthday pressie for M
    Leaving gift for c

Keep on top of washing - One load to do and hang up before we go.
    Stuff to loft
    Tidy loftthis needs an enormous position on the list as it was a big job! 3 bags of rubbish to the tip and lots of stuff listed on a fb freebie thread
    Stuff to cellar
    Keep cellar tidy -going well so far!
    Empty & defrost cellar freezer never got round to this.

Declutter wardrobe cupboard 5only two shelves not managed in this. So really not that bad.
    Declutter under our bed
    Declutter blanket Box
    Instructions for cleaner for summer deep clean.

Monday extras
    Sorted the drinks cabinet - highlighted three gin bottles with only a single measure In each one- 1 per night I think!

Tuesday extras
    Tip run
    Act as delivery driver
    Small food top up shop

Wednesday extras

Thursday extras
    Library books returned
    Car filled up
    Nappies bought and put away properly[/QUOTE]
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 13th Jul 18, 7:05 AM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 20,461 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All,

Up and ready for the gym, lovely friend is taking kiddies to school/pre-school for me. WM is on, and I have made the beds.

When I get back there will be another washload to do. Hoping DH is home tonight, but there is every chance it will be tomorrow instead as the job he is working on is taking longer than expected.

More tea needed, have lovely days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - 99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 13th Jul 18, 7:44 AM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 21,399 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Waving from Wales

Lots going on here today...New Legbar rooster (Rocky) coming to live with us. Already got him some pure-bred hens to be in charge of, so hoping he will be happy. Got to keep him and our Maran cockerel (Foggy) separate to avoid fights, so new boy is going in the orchard.

Didn't get much done yesterday and my friend came round at 9.30 am and stayed until 3pm! But I did have a site meeting with my architect and took delivery of the wet room tiles and adhesive. Got to check all is OK with that today and move to a more convenient place....All 300kgs of it...I may be some time...

TFIF - it's been a long time coming...

Oh and we collect our new Fluffball tomorrow afternoon
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 13th Jul 18, 8:03 AM
    • 9,772 Posts
    • 123,063 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning

Dizzy it all sounds so exciting a fluffy ball, and roosters.

I have hoovered the whole house so far
    Done the bins in kitchen
    Cleared the kitchen sides but to be fair they were easy and not too full of 'stuff'

I am going to do:-
    Clean the outside of the front door, it is filthy
    Iron
    Go and find from some where, (supermarket / tip or similar) 2 very large pieces of cardboard, for OH party!
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -14 so far and counting!!
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 13th Jul 18, 8:04 AM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 36,605 Thanks
    ionafan
    Wish, wow! You have done a huge amount this week Enjoy your well-earned holiday!

I spent most of yesterday preparing for toddler group, running toddler group and visiting one of the young mums who didn't come to toddler group.
    I took Rosie for a walk after tea and managed to work for about an hour before bedtime.

Today I must knuckle down to writing for at least the whole morning, and then we're supposed to be going out for lunch, if DH still feels up to it - if not, maybe tomorrow, unless DH has other plans.
    I might just manage WMx1 if I put it on when I go down for breakfast.

I'm going to turn off FB, this thread and the BBC news website and put on some CDs so that I don't get distracted by words other than the ones I'm supposed to be concentrating on. Please give me a slap on the wrist if you catch me lurking here during the day - not hard enough to give me an excuse to stop typing, though!

Hope everyone has a good day. (((Hugs))) spoons and sticks to all in need xx
    • klew356
    • By klew356 13th Jul 18, 11:05 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    klew356
    Tonight!!!8217;s going to be a combination of washing the wheelie bin, putting the rubbish out, tidying the kitchen and bathroom and if there is any energy left after two loads of washing, one clothes one bed sheets il put my clean clothes away after I have made the bed, hmm.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hello all. Hope you're all ok.
    I have done the dailies, one work shift (another later) and walked the dogs. One washload is on the line. Just about to do a mad half hour in the garden, then I'll have some lunch.
    Savings 2018: 717.52
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Jul 18, 4:50 PM
    • 10,637 Posts
    • 116,660 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Question is those with bigger houses how do you split it down? For example I have 4 bathrooms now. Do you do all on the same day or spread out and do with bedrooms?
    Originally posted by Maninblack32
    No way I'd manage to clean 4 loos on one day - simply couldn't physically manage all that time in pretty much one position, so I'd do zones rather than room types, if that makes sense.

Much decluttered - F&V market, Morribunds for the stuff I couldn't get in @ldi 2 days ago, then Tosspots for the stuff I ouldn't get in Morribunds. Who knew it'd be nigh on impossible to get brown bread flour??

I also decanted this morning's bathwater into the watering can (using a 1-pint jug to scoop it up and pour it in) so that the parched and dehydrated front garden could be watered. Six watering cans full later, I felt like I needed another bath.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 13th Jul 18, 6:00 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 36,605 Thanks
    ionafan
    We have just had a 5-minute shower of rain - enough to dampen down the sandy soil and make everything small nice, but sadly not yet enough to get under the trees and shrubs. Better than nothing - and it's still pleasantly warm

Very pleased that I managed to write over 400 words of my essay this morning, which is one complete section and almost one-fifth of the total, so we went out for lunch at the forest cafe and had a pleasant walk so that Rosie could run off the calorific dog sausage that she had scoffed. (Actually, she begged beautifully for each piece and was totally well behaved.) We did a little bit of shopping on the way home, and I've had a quiet hour reading the paper and catching up with the news, emails and this thread.

Must go and cook tea now - rice, plus previously frozen cooked mince tarted up with a bit of chilli and some red kidney beans. I will carry on working this evening while DH is at wargames club, and he will also now be taking himself off out all day tomorrow, so I shall have a whole day of peace
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 13th Jul 18, 6:23 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 7,462 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Thank you Ionafan, I am very pleased with what I've managed to achieve this week. I had two child free days, which I feel I used well and have single parented the rest of the week.
    My final update of 'the list' now I've arrived in the lakes. Not really a holiday, hubby is working here so it's more like a temporary house move.

Flying this week

Pack for going away
    Pack car

Tidy our bedroom
    Tidy Pickle's room
    Tidy Bathroom

Tidy kitchen
    Tidy dining room i left this totally clear. So happy.
    Tidy front room
    'Leaving the house for 3 week's tasks'
    close all windows
    Empty all bins inc nappy bin
    Washing done & hung up
    Dishwasher washed and emptied
    Empty fridge (all on 1 shelf, just needs putting in cool bag)
    Keep cat in

Check house is tidy
    Check back door locked

Birthday pressie for M
    Leaving gift for c

Keep on top of washing
    Stuff to loft
    Stuff to cellar
    Keep cellar tidy
    Empty & defrost cellar freezer never got round to this.

Declutter wardrobe cupboard 5only two shelves not managed in this. So really not that bad.
    Declutter under our bed
    Declutter blanket Box
    Instructions for cleaner for summer deep clean. just need to send a text message now.

Monday extras

Tuesday extras
    Tip run
    Act as delivery driver
    Small food top up shop

Wednesday extras

Thursday extras
    Library books returned
    Car filled up
    Nappies bought and put away properly

Thank you everyone for your support and encourage this week. I needed it.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Jul 18, 6:59 PM
    • 24,498 Posts
    • 97,242 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    [Collapses on settee]

Thank Heavens that week is over. I think the list of jobs to do finally crossed from various human alphabets to hexadecimal numbering and well on the way to requiring a good knowledge of Klingon.

Went to a mate's folky music thing last night despite not really feeling like moving - in all honesty, I'd have been happy with a bath and bed but decided it would be good for me to go out for a change.

For the first time in ages, I spent most of the time laughing hysterically and playing various instruments Just for Fun, including having a go on a beautiful accordion and falling in love with the way that, after a few moments of faffing about with it, it felt as though it took a breath on its own. Yes, I know that sounds ridiculous, but there's no other way to describe it. I'm now waiting in hope for the usual thing that happens, where random instruments just appear as though they're waiting to be rescued.

I realised (again) just how much I miss playing music just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

Downstairs is looking relatively organised, albeit not sparkly clean, upstairs is - OK - and Himself has actually made progress with his shuffling items around ad infinitum to make the studio look less like a teenage boy's bedroom. Although I still can't get my head around persistently leaving Stuff on the spare bed, taking Stuff off the spare bed, then putting more Stuff on the spare bed. Just leave the darned thing available for use!

Himself is cooking a curry tonight and then we've got a bunch of 50s B movies to watch, as his weekend gig has been cancelled due to the Lead Singer sustaining a rather nasty hand injury last week. I'm sad for the guy, really - but I'm relieved Himself is around.

One more week to go. A punishing week, no doubt, but at least there's only one of them before I get six of the things off and I get to wake up at the crack of dawn every day because my body clock is screwed right up to the point where I have to return to work and I instantly start oversleeping wake up naturally, go to sleep when I want, have naps, eat whatever I like and not have to worry about other people's children, bosses or work politics for a while.

The only cloud on the horizon is, yet again, rail strikes potentially destroying any chances of simple travel to Devon. I've already told Himself when he gets a job, he's getting a car because I am sick of this.
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 13-07-2018 at 7:02 PM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,024Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin