Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 20,700Posts
    • 235,094Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 9th July 2018
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 9th July 2018 8th Jul 18 at 9:19 PM
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - kitchen dining etc

Level 1

Check your fridge - clean any drains, make sure it's cold and clean
    clear out any wilting veg
    wipe seals
    we need to keep food covered and cold in this heat - flies are multiplying
    wipe all countertop appliances - kettle; toaster, coffee maker etc
    move them and clean all worktops
    Put some water in to cool

Level 2

Wipe cupboard fronts, drawer fronts and handles
    Clean the windows
    Sweep the floor
    Mop or vacuum floor if appropriate

Level 3
    Change tabel cloth and /or wipe mats
    Polish table and chairs

Dust where necessary
    Clean windows

Extras
    S&S bathrrom
    HHI
    MAD half hour
    Use the oven intelligently =- can you make two meals and save cooking time later?

Tip Top Tuesday - bathroom bliss

Level 1

Remove all towels/cloths etc and pop them into the wash - make it a HOT wash and give your machine a clean at the same time!
    Get a clean, damp cloth and wipe all the place fingers touch
    Scrub the loo inside and out.
    Finish with a slosh of bleach
    Polish the towel rail.

Level 2
    Clean the handbasin(s)
    Remove the plug and clean it thoroughly
    Remove anything icky from the plughole
    be a bleach baby and bleach that plughole!

Level 3
    Clean baths and showers
    Wash any shower curtains
    Clean any shower screens - I use detergent in hot water to wipe off the scum and then finish with windowcleaner for a sparkle
    If you use a wiper give the rubber blade a good wipe over
    Mop the floor.

Extras
    Empty a cupboard in there. Throw out anything icky and wipe the shelves over before replacing all tidily.

Top up the loo roll store.

Clean the window - wipe the frame before cleaning the glass.

Vacuum the dust out of the extractor fan cover - if you have one!

Empty the bin - and wash it and leave it outside in the sun to dry!

Get a bucket of hot water - give the loo brush a good rinse and put it out in the sun to dry! Don't forget the holder! Damp, scummy brushes breed germs. If it's too awful to contemplate, wrap it and bin it and buy a new one from a cheap household store.

Wipy Wednesday RECLAIM YOUR LOUNGE

Level 1

Fling the window(s) open.
    Empty bins
    Attend to plants - wipe leaves, water
    Attend to flowers - whizz or water; root out floppy flowerheads
    Clean windows
    Wipe window frames
    Dust curtain tracks

Level 2

Plump cushions
    Wipe or vacuum sofas and chairs as appropriate
    Get a damp cloth and wipe switches and sockets
    Clear clutter out

Level 3
    Dust everywhere including skirtings, picture rails and dado rails
    Vacuum as far as you can (inc under furniture)

Extras

Usual S&S in the kitchen and bathroom
    HHI
    MAD Half hour

Thursday Thrills

Hall, stairs, landing

Level 1

Clear any detritus
    Bang mats outside
    Wash front door inside and out
    Sweep step

Level 2
    Clean windows
    Wipe sills
    Polish mirrors

Level 3
    Dust everywhere
    Vacuum/sweep/mop floors

Extras
    S&S kitchen and bathroom
    MAD half hour
    Last edited by Valli; 12-07-2018 at 7:07 AM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 3
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 10th Jul 18, 7:22 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 9,505 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Overslept. Again.

LW - if things are tough atm, we are all here for you. We all think you are fab. X
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 10th Jul 18, 8:05 AM
    • 10,096 Posts
    • 125,266 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Dare I say it, but I have what looks like rain clouds over, me.

Ironing to do
    Ant powder to buy, they seem to be living in the corner of the patio sliding window, inside and outside of it.
    Pork slices out of freezer for dinner
    Tip run
    Sort out wardrobe.
    Ring water board to see if I can get a refund of some sort over the water leak, reading the info it is unlikely, but if you don't ask you don't get, no harm in a short phone call.
    If it does rain and soften the ground, then some weeding this afternoon. Why it is the weeds keep growing, yet all my grass is brown and dead? I guess it is something to do with roots depths.

Have a good day all.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 10th Jul 18, 9:11 AM
    • 10,096 Posts
    • 125,266 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Result.

Phone water board, have a chat, with two staff, result 74.63 refund for my water leak, I thought I would get about 40 to 50.

Well happy
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 10th Jul 18, 9:31 AM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 37,373 Thanks
    ionafan
    The sun is hidden behind clouds this morning, and it's so cool that I'm wearing my fleece dressing gown! I kept waking up thinking "It can't be 5.00 yet, the sun isn't up" so it was 7.00 before I finally looked at the clock. Not that I've had a decent night's sleep - I had weird dreams.

Made some good progress on the assignment yesterday and hope to get more done this morning, as well as popping in to SW to weigh in for the first time in a while

I need to go over to college this afternoon to change some books and hopefully see the librarian about continuing my library membership. I will do a little bit of flying, just enough to keep on top of things:

- S&S kitchen
    - S&S bathroom, ensuite and workmen's loo
    - WMx1
    - water plants, and at the same time wipe windowsills (fly graveyard, in at least one case)
    - possibly deal with a wasps' nest - though I think they are actually small bees, in which case I don't want to harm them. I will have to trap a couple first, for identification purposes.

LW, I'm sorry to hear that life is particularly difficult for you atm. Sending you lots of love and coping vibes.
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 10th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 13,868 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Morning all

So far this morning I have managed to do the ironing of the washing that was washed and dried yesterday. Have put another load on which will be ready for hanging out soon and then I will put all the dressing gowns on and get them out - no ironing in them so I like that wash

Have scrubbed the sink and emptied the dishwasher. Made brekkie for me and youngest.

So onwards with my list after this cuppa

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 10th Jul 18, 10:17 AM
    • 36,859 Posts
    • 474,361 Thanks
    pigpen
    First of all... LW.. know we are here .. always, when you need us. We will in the interim be sending love and light and virtual hugs over to you. Even if you can't post just check in with someone to let us know you are ok because we do all worry about you! xxx

DD2.. I swear, I am going to put her in the bin!! We have reshuffled the entire downstairs of the house so she could have the middle room as a bedroom until September.. she turned up yesterday and I told her I would be REALLY miffed if we have done all this and she stays here 1 night a week.. So she says it's only for 2-3 WEEKS anyway.. I walked away before I said something untoward.. I wouldn't have freaking bothered if it was just for that short time!!! I am NOT impressed!!

Todays delights..

Post skirt.
    remove toys from back room to upstairs.
    Buy Emily a birthday present... and Squeak.. hers is only 4 weeks away... might have to leave those while next week.

Radiator being delivered
    fruit/veg box delivery

Ring weird guy about fixing the chimney hole in the back room.. I'm far too cheeky so shall ask if I can pay him over 3-4 weeks depending on the cost.. I can't help myself haha.

Print CB form
    Fill out and save 4 Provisional DL forms.. I need 3 lots of pics but my children are having some form of Id.. it is a total PITA not having anything.. I ended up closing my paypal account and re-opening it to change my name from CF's.. it took about 8 seconds for the bank to change it.. Paypal wanted 87 forms of photo Id, a DNA profile and 15 references!! ..as if they know what I looked like in the first place!

Then we are looking at sheds.

ooh.. I need to measure for nets too, I hate them but I hate sitting exposed or having the curtains shut all day too.. so they are a necessity. 1.07m x 7m
    Last edited by pigpen; 10-07-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 51894.38 (2.41% int.)
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 10th Jul 18, 10:47 AM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 37,373 Thanks
    ionafan
    Hadn't been to SW since 5th June, and have lost half a pound in all that time - but at least it's better than a gain (which would not have been surprising, considering how many times I have been out for tea and cake recently).

Plants in tub by front door watered.
    WM on.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 10th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    • 10,096 Posts
    • 125,266 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Tip run done
    Milk, cue, lettuce bought
    Hooved car out and cleaned the inside of car windows, filled up wash bottle, and booked an MOT for near the end of the month.

To do
    Watch fly past, just a chance the Red Arrows may fly past here to muster up, OH is cross as he went to central London yesterday and would have been in the right place to watch.
    Ironing
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 10,870 Posts
    • 119,564 Thanks
    LameWolf
    First of all... LW.. know we are here .. always, when you need us. We will in the interim be sending love and light and virtual hugs over to you. Even if you can't post just check in with someone to let us know you are ok because we do all worry about you! xxx
    Originally posted by pigpen
    I'd best post then - I daren't not obey Piggers. No, joking aside, I'm still coming to terms - will say more when it's properly sunk in and I have some sensible coping strategies in place.
    Flying-wise, Mr LW is dusting. The big bookcase was absolutely minging, you could've written your name in it.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 10th Jul 18, 12:52 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 53,164 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Well done for submitting the application, Jojo. Good luck with it.

Hope the essay writing goes smoothly today, Ionafan.
    Brilliant news about your OH's job, Mumof2. I really hope it works out well and takes the pressure off you.

I've:
    - watered the wilting honeysuckle
    - cleared and cleaned enough of the floor and the rest of the room in my office
    - made up the futon for a friend's one-nighter
    - put a load of gibble in the attic where it should have been all along
    - polished the bathroom mirrors
    - done my various supplements for the next two weeks, and
    - medicated Kelpie.

I still have to:
    - type up the froggie minutes I drafted yesterday longhand
    - ring my American cousin to leave a message because she's out today, I'm going to be out tomorrow and at some point we will eventually get to speak to one another
    - ring the plumber about a replacement boiler
    - book a GP appointment
    - book a couple of cinema tickets
    - give the lodgers some information so they pay me
    - do the shower room
    - do the towels for the overnighter
    - change the lodger's beds
    - freeze the excess cold chicken and salmon from the weekend
    - scrub out the smelly, empty water butt so that when it eventually refills the water will be sweet
    - water the pots on the front steps and top up the honeysuckle
    - water the pear tree and
    - talk to the neighbour again who's responsible for the apple tree because it's growing mould again so it's obviously not getting enough water. Her husband planted it ten years ago and died about five years ago so she says she wants it to live on, but she just won't water it enough.
    Keeping it AF
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 10th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 13,868 Thanks
    Maisie M
    update

Marvellous Monday - kitchen dining etc

Level 1
    wipe all countertop appliances - kettle; toaster, coffee maker etc
    move them and clean all worktops

Level 2
    Clean the windows
    Mop or vacuum floor if appropriate

Level 3
    Dust where necessary

Phew Kitchen all done

Tip Top Tuesday - bathroom bliss

Level 1

Get a clean, damp cloth and wipe all the place fingers touch
    Scrub the loo inside and out.
    Finish with a slosh of bleach

Polish the towel rail.

Level 2
    Clean the handbasin(s)
    Remove the plug and clean it thoroughly
    Remove anything icky from the plughole
    be a bleach baby and bleach that plughole!

Level 3
    Clean baths and showers
    Wash any shower curtains
    Clean any shower screens - I use detergent in hot water to wipe off the scum and then finish with windowcleaner for a sparkle
    If you use a wiper give the rubber blade a good wipe over
    Mop the floor.

Extras
    Empty a cupboard in there. Throw out anything icky and wipe the shelves over before replacing all tidily.
    Clean the window - wipe the frame before cleaning the glass.

Get a bucket of hot water - give the loo brush a good rinse and put it out in the sun to dry! Don't forget the holder! Damp, scummy brushes breed germs. If it's too awful to contemplate, wrap it and bin it and buy a new one from a cheap household store.

Extra for me
    HHI

getting there on the Bathroom Just time for lunch then finish the bathroom

• Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Jul 18, 1:22 PM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 55,212 Thanks
    Jazee
    Well done Kaz on the refund.

All paperwork is done as is the ironing. List time now.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 10th Jul 18, 1:38 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 9,505 Thanks
    Fayolle
    I've been to the allotment and dug up garlic and salad potatoes. That was hard work. Picked a few beans and courgettes. The wm has run and washing is blowing on the line. Today's list has been done, so the bathroom, ensuite and downstairs loo are well and truly cleaned. I stuck a toothbrush around the shower plughole and wished I hadn't. Gross! Toilet brushes drying outside and one has been binned - thank you Valli for the reminder, but how do you always know these things??!

I've decluttered a couple of bits from the fridge for my lunch. I now have to get inventive and magic up the remaining veg and leftovers into meals. Oh and a cake. Because who doesn't need a cake
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Jul 18, 2:19 PM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 55,212 Thanks
    Jazee
    Windows in LR are now clean. Long overdue phone call made.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Jul 18, 3:24 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 8,854 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Updated with last
    Night & this morning's achievements...

Flying this week

Pack for going away
    Pack car
    Tidy our bedroom
    Tidy Pickle's room
    Tidy Bathroom
    Tidy hall, stairs and landing
    Tidy kitchen
    Tidy dining room The dining room table is clear!!!!
    Tidy front room
    'Leaving the house for 3 week's tasks' (will break down later)
    Birthday pressie for M
    Leaving gift for c
    Birthday cards for bil & sil

Keep on top of washing - Tuesday and going well so far
    Stuff to loft
    Tidy loftthis needs an enormous position on the list as it was a big job! 3 bags of rubbish to the tip and lots of stuff listed on a fb freebie thread
    Stuff to cellar
    Keep cellar tidy -going well so far!
    Empty & defrost cellar freezer
    Sort food order for Lake District
    Sort back yard for 'going away'

Bins out & Away (Thursday)
    Work for 1 day (Wednesday)
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 1
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 2
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 3
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 4
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 5
    Declutter under our bed
    Declutter blanket Box
    Declutter bedside cabinet 1
    Declutter bedside cabinet 2
    Instructions for cleaner for summer deep clean.

Monday extras
    Sorted the drinks cabinet - highlighted three gin bottles with only a single measure In each one- 1 per night I think!

Tuesday extras
    Tip run
    Act as delivery driver
    Small food top up shop
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 55,212 Thanks
    Jazee
    Cupboard in LR sorted out and half hour spent gardening.

That is it for me today.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 10th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 21,467 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    I have officially caught the rotten summer cold that poor DD has feel decidedly rubbish, but despite this have done absolutely loads today.

DH is nearly home so we can eat an early dinner tonight then settle down to watch the footie. Meeting at work (oooh get me!) next week to finalise my hours etc, and sign my contract

Have lovely evenings all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - 99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 10th Jul 18, 5:53 PM
    • 25,160 Posts
    • 101,358 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Argh.

Work: Do a, b and c first.

I make a start on a and c and get minions working on b, d, e, f and g.

Work: Supervise minions on b.

Work: Look at c, it's not finished. Do h, i , k and l (new tasks).

I do h, i, k and l. I can't do j because it requires the input of somebody else who has already said they do not have the facilities/capacity to assist and this therefore means that full completion of the majority of the alphabet is not possible.

Work: Why aren't c, d, e, f and x done yet? Do w.

Leaving work.

Work: what's happened about AA, BB and CC through to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAA? (Most of which had never been mentioned EVER in the last 12 months, but are now absolutely urgent again).

On a positive note, got home and Himself was out, having decided to go and buy food.

He's now in the bath. Which means it'll be clean, because he's actually pretty good about clearing up after he uses it.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 10th Jul 18, 7:30 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,824 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Just checking in again to say that not that much flying done at home, a couple of loads of washing done, kitchen tidied and wiped round so it still looks fine.

But a few frogs done, DD2's laptop dropped into laptop doctor on my way to work and then he called me to say it would be ready for 15.30 and not too expensive so that is a good job, was worried we would be looking at a new one. Taught my lesson which went well. Watched potential new teacher with a group of teens this afternoon and it was actually better than I expected, she might be ok with us. Went to bank to pay in cheque and got good news that penalty for paying mortgage off early is being refunded to us. Tennant who hadn't paid at start of the month as his salary hadn't been paid due to a computer problem sent message to say transfer happening today. Service booked for DD2's car tomorrow afternoon.

Just had sausages and tomato salad for dinner and now watching the football,

Allez les bleus! (rooting for an England - France final)

See you all tomorrow.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 10th Jul 18, 11:37 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 53,164 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Did quite a few things that were on my list and several that weren't.

All three breadmakers used to make one recipe to try to work out why some loaves hadn't risen as much as others. (Test runs before I pass two on to new homes.) The reason they don't rise so much is the pans are bigger. Doh! (And dough, obviously.)

Lots of chalet stuff listed on Gumtree, two of which are already booked for collection tomorrow by people that I don't think will haggle. Excellent.

Will return to listy on Thursday afternoon, which is my next chance to get stuff done.
    Keeping it AF
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

588Posts Today

5,889Users online

Martin's Twitter