Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 20,701Posts
    • 235,111Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 9th July 2018
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 9th July 2018 8th Jul 18 at 9:19 PM
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - kitchen dining etc

Level 1

Check your fridge - clean any drains, make sure it's cold and clean
    clear out any wilting veg
    wipe seals
    we need to keep food covered and cold in this heat - flies are multiplying
    wipe all countertop appliances - kettle; toaster, coffee maker etc
    move them and clean all worktops
    Put some water in to cool

Level 2

Wipe cupboard fronts, drawer fronts and handles
    Clean the windows
    Sweep the floor
    Mop or vacuum floor if appropriate

Level 3
    Change tabel cloth and /or wipe mats
    Polish table and chairs

Dust where necessary
    Clean windows

Extras
    S&S bathrrom
    HHI
    MAD half hour
    Use the oven intelligently =- can you make two meals and save cooking time later?

Tip Top Tuesday - bathroom bliss

Level 1

Remove all towels/cloths etc and pop them into the wash - make it a HOT wash and give your machine a clean at the same time!
    Get a clean, damp cloth and wipe all the place fingers touch
    Scrub the loo inside and out.
    Finish with a slosh of bleach
    Polish the towel rail.

Level 2
    Clean the handbasin(s)
    Remove the plug and clean it thoroughly
    Remove anything icky from the plughole
    be a bleach baby and bleach that plughole!

Level 3
    Clean baths and showers
    Wash any shower curtains
    Clean any shower screens - I use detergent in hot water to wipe off the scum and then finish with windowcleaner for a sparkle
    If you use a wiper give the rubber blade a good wipe over
    Mop the floor.

Extras
    Empty a cupboard in there. Throw out anything icky and wipe the shelves over before replacing all tidily.

Top up the loo roll store.

Clean the window - wipe the frame before cleaning the glass.

Vacuum the dust out of the extractor fan cover - if you have one!

Empty the bin - and wash it and leave it outside in the sun to dry!

Get a bucket of hot water - give the loo brush a good rinse and put it out in the sun to dry! Don't forget the holder! Damp, scummy brushes breed germs. If it's too awful to contemplate, wrap it and bin it and buy a new one from a cheap household store.

Wipy Wednesday RECLAIM YOUR LOUNGE

Level 1

Fling the window(s) open.
    Empty bins
    Attend to plants - wipe leaves, water
    Attend to flowers - whizz or water; root out floppy flowerheads
    Clean windows
    Wipe window frames
    Dust curtain tracks

Level 2

Plump cushions
    Wipe or vacuum sofas and chairs as appropriate
    Get a damp cloth and wipe switches and sockets
    Clear clutter out

Level 3
    Dust everywhere including skirtings, picture rails and dado rails
    Vacuum as far as you can (inc under furniture)

Extras

Usual S&S in the kitchen and bathroom
    HHI
    MAD Half hour

Thursday Thrills

Hall, stairs, landing

Level 1

Clear any detritus
    Bang mats outside
    Wash front door inside and out
    Sweep step

Level 2
    Clean windows
    Wipe sills
    Polish mirrors

Level 3
    Dust everywhere
    Vacuum/sweep/mop floors

Extras
    S&S kitchen and bathroom
    MAD half hour
    Last edited by Valli; 12-07-2018 at 7:07 AM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 2
    • klew356
    • By klew356 9th Jul 18, 1:38 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    klew356
    so far i have done sweet fa, whoops but i have had a super busy weekend and im knackered, some sort of easy tea tonight, forgot to defrost anything whoops again - i intend to walk the dog and hoover and polish the living room anything else is a bonus but will do bits in the kitchen
    Level 1
    wipe seals

Level 2
    Clean the windows
    Sweep the floor

Level 3
    Dust where necessary
    Clean windows

Extras
    S&S bathrrom
    HHI - more like 2 as not done any since Wednesday
    MAD half hour
    Use the oven intelligently =- can you make two meals and save cooking time later? i dont have the brain power to cook one tonight lol
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 9th Jul 18, 1:55 PM
    • 36,860 Posts
    • 474,383 Thanks
    pigpen
    Right..

Radiator for bedroom paid for.. that is coming tomorrow.
    1 more installment to pay on my embroidery machine.. one day I WILL get it out of the box.. and only 4 more on my solar panels.. that will free up 280 a month in total!!

OMG.. I just got a huge urge to declutter the back room... I shall leap on that now.. I can get 45 minutes of flinging in before the school run!

*bing*.. OH messages me at the start of his 20 minute break... SO disruptive.. see, I tell everyone he is a delay fish who hinders everything I try to do!! lol..

Anyway.. ignoring him.. and cracking on with tidying... step one... find an empty box and a roll of binbags!!

Come join me!!!

List for later.. print off CB form to add Moomin.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 51894.38 (2.41% int.)
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 9th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 37,394 Thanks
    ionafan
    By midday I was falling asleep at the computer (hadn't had much last night - too hot) so took myself off to the sofa for an hour and a half. We've had lunch, but we have cancelled the visit to the flower show as (a) DH was only coming to keep me company and (b)it's a lot cooler and cloudier today and therefore still bearable in the study with the curtains shut, even if the sun is shining outside.

Back to my books...
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 9th Jul 18, 3:28 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 40,934 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Oh Ionafan I regularly fall asleep at the computer!

You must get your embroidery machine out the box Pigpen!! Be lovely to do something you love doing; I've suddenly got my urge to sew back so dining table all cleared ready to cut out some shorts tonight .... haven't sewed for over 2 years so will be 'interesting'!

Too. Hot. I have though decluttered in the lounge for a good 30 minutes (mainly so I can get to my sewing machine tonight but no-one needs to know that!). Kids will be home shortly; all tired, hot and hungry .... deep joy!

ps chewed a frog (is that right?). Done my tax credits form for last tax year now instead of leaving it to the last minute like normal. Also tried to notify of new job for J but as he hasn't started yet they won't take it in advance so put a date in my diary. My intentions were good though
    Flymarkeeteer: 168 and counting
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Jul 18, 3:51 PM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 55,244 Thanks
    Jazee
    Floors are clean. Paperwork and hotspots still outstanding as I got distracted and took the living room curtains down, sewed and washed them. House looking almost acceptable, I'm now relaxing in the garden.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 9th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 36,860 Posts
    • 474,383 Thanks
    pigpen
    You must get your embroidery machine out the box Pigpen!! Be lovely to do something you love doing; I've suddenly got my urge to sew back so dining table all cleared ready to cut out some shorts tonight .... haven't sewed for over 2 years so will be 'interesting'!
    Originally posted by Mumof2

I haven't sewed for longer than that.. I do love it but I simply don't have the space to set everything up or the time to put into it.. I am not joking when I say my house is a hovel! I don't have a single flat surface!
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 9th Jul 18, 5:06 PM
    • 4,622 Posts
    • 38,709 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Just skimmed through. Well done JoJo.

So, out of the door before 7am to go to the gym then straight to work. 6.5 hours paid stuff done, DS2 picked up and home to get something to eat before I go back again.

Have rehomed a few things, wiped some splash marks off the cupboard next to the bin, put some recycling out and made our bed. The house is looking a bit unloved in places but not much I can do.

Catch you all later x
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 9th Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    • 25,171 Posts
    • 101,415 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Interesting day at work.

There was an official announcement half an hour before my start time.

Apparently, there is absolutely no impact upon job security for two years. Yeah, right.
    Just how stupid do you think we are? We can count, you know.

I'll obviously allow the prospective place to approach them for references if they decide to make an offer - because it's education, they generally insist upon having references in advance, which can be somewhat awkward if you aren't protected by the Teaching T&Cs of employment. And it means that if I'm on the receiving end of a hatchet job, they already have two effusive references to take into consideration.

It's vaguely annoying, as by leaving, I would miss out on redundancy. But a) I might not get the post and b) when they get around to it, not only am I pretty certain they'll do it to take effect the day before I've completed another year's service and therefore cost me dosh, there will be no guarantee that there's any jobs available at the point at which they decide to do it.

Either way, I need to be out of there. Mainly because I'm not doing a very good job of looking completely unsurprised and not in the slightest bit disappointed about any of this.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 9th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 9,530 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Home from work, and melting slowly. DH has taken DD to a school meeting as I wasn't home in time, so I can flake out for a few minutes whilst deciding what delights to put on the table when they get back, and call a meal without too much effort.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 9th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    • 36,860 Posts
    • 474,383 Thanks
    pigpen
    I have cleared the top of one side board.. into a box.. and dropped 4 school dresses, a rapunzel dress and a skirt off at school.

I need to sort stuff to ebeast... I have a shed to buy so need 600 x2 ...
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 9th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 23,228 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    - Went to Clubbercise.
    - Came home planning to put the bathroom mats in the washing machine but Mr N had already had the same idea and done it. That prompted me to ignore the kitchen for today but do a blitz on the en suite instead, which is now nice and shiny.
    - paid cc bill
    - renewed a professional membership
    - sent a few emails
    - sorted out the rest of the post/junk etc
    - That doesn't sound much, how has it taken a day? Oh yes, I spent a lot of time on the internet looking for something else to do in London tomorrow as Mr N wants to go up to the RAF flypast and it's a bit of an effort/cost to get a train in just for a 3 minute fly. We haven't reached any decisions; may even drive to somewhere between here and Chelmsford as we aren't too close to the route the planes will take.

We've got a few days in Buxton in a couple of weeks, mainly to go to the RHS Tatton Park horticultural show - so if anyone else is going, I'll give you a wave. Won't be fun if the weather is this hot.

Oh well dinner on, that is next.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th Jul 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 8,879 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Here I am with Monday's update (had a day of being a mum today, so not as much gets done)

Flying this week

Pack for going away
    Pack car
    Tidy our bedroom
    Tidy Pickle's room
    Tidy Bathroom
    Tidy hall, stairs and landing
    Tidy kitchen
    Tidy dining room The dining room table is clear!!!!
    Tidy front room
    'Leaving the house for 3 week's tasks' (will break down later)
    Birthday pressie for M
    Leaving gift for c
    Birthday cards for bil & sil
    Keep on top of washing - wash currently ongoing for Monday
    Stuff to loft
    Tidy loft
    Stuff to cellar
    Keep cellar tidy -going well so far!
    Empty & defrost cellar freezer
    Sort food order for Lake District
    Sort back yard for 'going away'

Bins out & Away (Thursday)
    Work for 1 day (Wednesday)
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 1
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 2
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 3
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 4
    Declutter wardrobe cupboard 5
    Declutter under our bed
    Declutter blanket Box
    Declutter bedside cabinet 1
    Declutter bedside cabinet 2
    Instructions for cleaner for summer deep clean.

Monday extras
    Sorted the drinks cabinet - highlighted three gin bottles with only a single measure In each one- 1 per night I think!

(Could do with doing another couple of jobs- may edit later)
    Last edited by wishingthemortgaheaway; 09-07-2018 at 9:37 PM.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 9th Jul 18, 10:00 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 40,934 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Oh no - the bathroom!! Got 3 x toilets and hand basins to do plus the shower. I know I'll feel better when it's done but my second least favourite room (kitchen most least favourite) - at least the bad ones will be out of the way first. I've altered the list to this and I doubt I'll get all of it done as lots of appointments tomorrow (4) so will be pushing it:

Clean the handbasin(s)
    Clean baths and showers
    Clean any shower screens

Off to bed now, night all x
    Flymarkeeteer: 168 and counting
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 9th Jul 18, 10:21 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 9,530 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Kitchen tidied, dw has run and I'll empty it in the morning. HHI done with all the windows open, so one less job for tomorrow. Every little helps, right?
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Jul 18, 10:31 PM
    • 20,701 Posts
    • 235,111 Thanks
    Valli

We've got a few days in Buxton in a couple of weeks, mainly to go to the RHS Tatton Park horticultural show - so if anyone else is going, I'll give you a wave. Won't be fun if the weather is this hot.

Oh well dinner on, that is next.
    Originally posted by Narc0lepsy
    Ooh wave as you drive by in fact if you're coming up the M1 you'll practically pass Villa Valli
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 9th Jul 18, 10:49 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 13,868 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Update for today

Level 1
    wipe seals

Level 2
    Clean the windows
    Sweep the floor

Level 3
    Dust where necessary
    Clean windows

Extras
    S&S bathrrom
    HHI - more like 2 as not done any since Wednesday
    MAD half hour done after kids decided to do some crafting
    Use the oven intelligently =- can you make two meals and save cooking time later? not using the oven at all too hot - salads here today

wash darks and whites
    return coffee pods, take kids to hobbycraft and cex

Tip Top Tuesday - bathroom bliss

Level 1

Remove all towels/cloths etc and pop them into the wash - make it a HOT wash and give your machine a clean at the same time!
    Get a clean, damp cloth and wipe all the place fingers touch
    Polish the towel rail.

Level 2
    Clean the handbasin(s)
    Remove the plug and clean it thoroughly
    Remove anything icky from the plughole
    be a bleach baby and bleach that plughole!

Level 3
    Clean baths and showers
    Wash any shower curtains
    Clean any shower screens - I use detergent in hot water to wipe off the scum and then finish with windowcleaner for a sparkle
    If you use a wiper give the rubber blade a good wipe over
    Mop the floor.

Extras
    Empty a cupboard in there. Throw out anything icky and wipe the shelves over before replacing all tidily.
    Top up the loo roll store. hubby did this last week
    Clean the window - wipe the frame before cleaning the glass.
    Empty the bin - and wash it and leave it outside in the sun to dry! funny did this today as the bins got emptied today so had run around emptying them all last night

Get a bucket of hot water - give the loo brush a good rinse and put it out in the sun to dry! Don't forget the holder! Damp, scummy brushes breed germs. If it's too awful to contemplate, wrap it and bin it and buy a new one from a cheap household store.

Extra for me
    HHI

That should keep me out of trouble for a couple of hours !!!!

• atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 10th Jul 18, 6:29 AM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 21,467 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All,

First things first, I have seen on the Daily thread that our lovely fellow Flylady Lamewolf is not having a good time of it at the moment. I am sure she will post when she is ready, but in the meantime LW if you're reading remember we are all here for you xxx

I have a lot of paperwork frogs to chew today, so that is the priority. I must also book DD a haircut,I've been putting it off for so long as she hates having it cut but it really is very long now and too sweaty on her neck and back in this warm weather.

For the first time in a long time DS has slept past 6am, hurrah! So I am enjoying a brew in peace. Will check online banking then start pottering.

Have lovely days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - 99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Jul 18, 6:32 AM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 8,879 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    As the weather is MUCH cooler today, my job from my mammoth list will be the loft, major amounts of tidying to do, hopefully some decluttering to to reduce the amount of stuff up there, this will make it easier when we eventually move.

Happy Flying
    Wish.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 10th Jul 18, 6:56 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,837 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Fluttering along slowly 'Chez nous'.

Got back from weekend away yesterday after having picked up DD2 from ferry. Took her directly for eye exam and then went to choose new glasses and sun glasses (ended up going for lunch and a pause in the middle of choosing but done with no stressful moments). Back home, WM on and kitchen cleared round and wiped so not looking too bad.

A couple of bits ironed this morning as OH wanted a specific shirt (brand logo) so I did a few bits at the same time as it is nice and cool, there is still a pile but at least not a mountain.

Bathrooms are a all in need of a going over so will do that this afternoon, working 10.30 - 12.00 so will go to bank and try and see pc doctor with DD2 pc whilst in town then home for lunch and can get on with stuff.

Sorry to hear so many of you are having a hard time at the moment but don't forget to enoy the good times. Take 5 minutes at the end of the day to think about the good points in the day, and don't forget about the simple pleasures. (Easier said than done but just need to remind myself from time to time)

Time for another coffee then shower, get dressed and put WM on.

Unload DW whilst kettle boils.

xx
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Jul 18, 7:08 AM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 55,244 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all.

Mumof2 - my least fav rooms are kitchen followed by bathrooms too.
    ATB - paperwork frog is priority here today too.

Just having first cuppa of day in garden then shower, walk dogs, water garden, eat, wash up and paperwork.

If there's time also ironing and jobs from the lists. I have a meeting to go to tonight too.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,725Users online

Martin's Twitter