Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 8th Jul 18, 8:57 PM
    • 2,239Posts
    • 726Thanks
    anniecave
    caller id on landlines
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:57 PM
    caller id on landlines 8th Jul 18 at 8:57 PM
    I'm looking to change my landline and broadband provider (I'm on the openreach network, not Virgin). Does anyone know what providers (if any) charge additionally for caller id?

From a quick look so far:
    Plusnet say it can be included as an extra at 0.00 per month
    Talk talk don't mention it anywhere, but there's as mention of a free privacy package so I think it may be free - can anyone confirm?
    BT it's available as an introductory deal/package then chargeable outside of that
    PostOffice doesn't mention it anywhere and their website isn't great - can anyone confirm?

If there is anywhere else I can get this information from please point me in the right direction...
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
Page 1
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 8th Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    Post Office don't charge for Caller ID

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/jcr:65af6030-9b96-4782-b14d-5c6abca8f386/Homephone_Broadband_LineFeature%20Rentals.pdf
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 8th Jul 18, 9:10 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    trinidadone
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:10 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:10 PM
    Yes, TalkTalk caller ID is free
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Jul 18, 9:26 PM
    • 10,696 Posts
    • 10,996 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:26 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:26 PM
    I'm with NowTV. They DO charge - 1pm.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 8th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    anactuary
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    Caller ID is free with Sky.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    Free with sky and EE.

Avoid bt
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 8th Jul 18, 10:35 PM
    • 7,748 Posts
    • 3,789 Thanks
    Stompa
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:35 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:35 PM
    It's perhaps worth bearing in mind that charging for Caller ID will be banned in about 12 weeks time:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7826-ofcom-moves-to-ban-charging-for-caller-display-options-in-2018
    Stompa
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 9th Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    • 3,155 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    Free with sky and EE.

Avoid bt
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Why avoid BT?
    They do charge 1.75/month but it is "free" for the first 12 months.
    From October it will be "free" anyway, as Stompa points out. So the future 1.75 will not be added even after 12 months.
    Last edited by oldagetraveller; 09-07-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    I'm with NowTV. They DO charge - 1pm.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Lol, I changed to NowTV a couple of months ago and have only just noticed caller ID's disappeared. I was going to try a different phone
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Jul 18, 12:46 PM
    • 10,696 Posts
    • 10,996 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Lol, I changed to NowTV a couple of months ago and have only just noticed caller ID's disappeared. I was going to try a different phone
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Caught me out, too. Made worse by the fact that my phone was set to block anonymous calls.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 9th Jul 18, 8:15 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    anniecave
    Thanks for the replies - I would imagine there are probably quite a few BT customers who currently pay for it, so interesting to know that it won't be chargeable soon!
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 11th Jul 18, 11:28 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    darren72
    I've been with Virgin Media for around 18 months. They have never charged me - They have it as a free add-on (but I think you need to request it) as their website shows it as a chargeable extra.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 12th Jul 18, 12:08 AM
    • 28,107 Posts
    • 15,346 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I've been with Virgin Media for around 18 months. They have never charged me - They have it as a free add-on (but I think you need to request it) as their website shows it as a chargeable extra.
    Originally posted by darren72
    I doubt you get it free if they have a set charge. Perhaps certain packages have it included.
    I have found any extra we have had they charged for. We had call barring without asking for it and were charged. We had to ask them to remove it. Charging for caller id is ridiculous considering you get it free on mobile phones. And they wonder why so many abandon their landlines.
    Last edited by donnajunkie; 12-07-2018 at 12:11 AM.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 12th Jul 18, 12:14 AM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    darren72
    I doubt you get it free if they have a set charge. Perhaps certain packages have it included.
    I have found any extra we have had they charged for. We had call barring without asking for it and were charged. We had to ask them to remove it. Charging for caller id is ridiculous considering you get it free on mobile phones. And they wonder why so many abandon their landlines.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Definitely completely free. Never charged on any of the bills (and I check them carefully each month).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,645Posts Today

7,608Users online

Martin's Twitter