Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miniminter
    • By Miniminter 8th Jul 18, 8:46 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 30Thanks
    Miniminter
    What is the worst day out you have ever had?
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:46 PM
    What is the worst day out you have ever had? 8th Jul 18 at 8:46 PM
    It would have to be a day out to Blackpool when the car broke down just as we were about to go home , took about 3 hours just to get out of Blackpool as a result , awful.
Page 1
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 9th Jul 18, 9:28 AM
    • 6,042 Posts
    • 8,656 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:28 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:28 AM
    It would have to be a day out to Blackpool when the car broke down just as we were about to go home , took about 3 hours just to get out of Blackpool as a result , awful.
    Originally posted by Miniminter
    I recall driving from Fleetwood to Blackpool one very windy day. I had the local radio on and it was warning people of the wind and sand blowing onto the road from the beach.

Even the traffic lights were whirling round.

Got to the Tower area, and people, despite being blown all over the shop were still trying to get on with holiday, silly policeman hats and all.
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 9th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 2,994 Posts
    • 5,286 Thanks
    bap98189
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    Worst day out was about 14 years ago. We set off to drive down to Reading for a friend's birthday day out.

Got onto the M6 and after about 10 miles it came to a standstill somewhere south of J15. Turns out there was an accident just south of Stafford. Motorway traffic was being diverted off the M6, through Stafford town centre and then back onto the motorway further south. On a boiling hot day, we sat in the queue, occasionally crawling about 50 yards at a time. 10 hours later, we finally got off the motorway, spent the next hour crawling through Stafford, then turned around and went home again. Yup - that was a fun day.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 9,080 Posts
    • 9,477 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    I think that would be the day I had an early meeting with a very senior churchman, before finalising details for an imminent Royal visit, then had a splendid lunch with the nice guys from the defence contractor Raytheon.

I... have... sold... out... !
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 9th Jul 18, 1:47 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 14,670 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:47 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:47 PM
    I can't remember the worst, but didn't we have a lovely time the day we went to Bangor. . .
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 9th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    I seem to remember BemBom Brothers in Margate was a bit cr*p...
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 10th Jul 18, 3:47 PM
    • 10,786 Posts
    • 23,917 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 10th Jul 18, 3:47 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 3:47 PM
    Getting lost in the darkside was a bit concerning.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • colinw
    • By colinw 10th Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    • 53,901 Posts
    • 149,027 Thanks
    colinw
    • 10th Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    Getting lost in the darkside was a bit concerning.
    Originally posted by Tarry
    You don't mean Discussion Time
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 10th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 12,932 Posts
    • 23,951 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 10th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    I recall driving from Fleetwood to Blackpool one very windy day. I had the local radio on and it was warning people of the wind and sand blowing onto the road from the beach.

Even the traffic lights were whirling round.

Got to the Tower area, and people, despite being blown all over the shop were still trying to get on with holiday, silly policeman hats and all.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Had you been to see Mac?
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Jul 18, 5:36 PM
    • 25,123 Posts
    • 65,772 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The one time I went to Blackpool probably qualifies as my worst day out.

The kids and my mother were excited to see the lights. We spent the whole time in a traffic jam and inched along.

I had time to go to a chippy, get fish and chips before strolling back to the car.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 10th Jul 18, 5:58 PM
    • 12,932 Posts
    • 23,951 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Seems like a Blackpool theme surfacing.
    I went there with a colleague - we stayed over. He'd been there before and took me into a bar called 'Hooters'.
    Nabob Of None
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 10th Jul 18, 6:02 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 14,670 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    I went there with a colleague - we stayed over. He'd been there before and took me into a bar called 'Hooters'.
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    I take it that there's a collection of antique audible warning devices there?
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 10th Jul 18, 6:14 PM
    • 12,932 Posts
    • 23,951 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    I take it that there's a collection of antique audible warning devices there?
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    No, the female bar staff all wore bikinis. Put me off my drink a bit.
    Nabob Of None
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 10th Jul 18, 6:19 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 14,670 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Just as long as the male staff didn't wear mankinis.
    That'd put me off me beer alright!
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 10th Jul 18, 7:12 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    Isn't Hooters an American chain, where the waitresses are all scantily clad? It's not a 'gentlemans club' as such, but it's a bit risque AIUI.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 10th Jul 18, 9:41 PM
    • 13,999 Posts
    • 70,129 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Twice going to LegoLand Windsor.

(1) Shuttle Bus was a goose chase to find, owing to some Royal Celebrations closing off many roads!! (Marshalls etc. not much help)

(2) Changing of the guard closing off the roads and no sign of the Shuttle, eventually a London Bus came AND a class of children waiting
    with a teacher buying a ream of bus tickets!!!
    When arrived many rides closed!!
    (Police not much help, Should have learnt lesson!)
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 10th Jul 18, 10:28 PM
    • 28,237 Posts
    • 15,533 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I wasnt keen on two theme parks we visited in yorkshire in the 80ís. Flamingo land and lightwater valley. I much preferred alton towers but it cost more to go there. Also jorvik Viking centre, again in the 80ís. I thought it was rubbish.
    i concede these places may have improved since then.
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 10th Jul 18, 10:41 PM
    • 18,274 Posts
    • 113,429 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    Another vote for Blackpool. We were staying in the area for the weekend. On the way there my clutch cable snapped and spent a couple of hours waiting for a tow, then for car to be sorted. Then on the way back DH had an accident, spent part of the night in A&E in Preston, alongside some prisoners chained to their guards.

Never again.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 10th Jul 18, 10:53 PM
    • 4,692 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    jack_pott
    I once had to go to a football match because my dad couldn't find a child minder, but apart from that I can't really think of anything.

I recall driving from Fleetwood to Blackpool one very windy day.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    I cycled from Blackpool to Chester through the remnants of hurricane Bill on 26.8.09, that was quite good fun though.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Jul 18, 10:57 PM
    • 9,652 Posts
    • 14,861 Thanks
    worried jim
    Took a married woman to Blackpool for a dirty weekend. Had dinner in a Chinese Restaurant (asking for chopsticks baffled them for ten minutes) which was nice, I asked the waitress where would be a good place to go after meaning bar or club and she asked where we were from "Royal Leamington Spa" we answered, to which replied "go home". Brilliant, British humour at its best. Blackpool is a total dump though.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

845Posts Today

6,855Users online

Martin's Twitter