Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carrieg88
    • By carrieg88 8th Jul 18, 7:36 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    carrieg88
    Tax credit overpayment, help.
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:36 PM
    Tax credit overpayment, help. 8th Jul 18 at 7:36 PM
    Hi,

I am in a bit of a situation and I'm not sure how to go about resolving it.
    My previous employer issued my p60 for the year 2016 - 2017 with earnings for the year of 17,035. I submitted this along with my renewal forms and all seemed ok, I still received income tax credits and child tax benefit.

I then received a letter from the tax office a few weeks ago claiming that they have made an over payment of 4554 for the year 2016 - 2017. Further investigation on the PAYE section of the .GOV website has shown that I had in fact earned 21,118.70.

It seems that my previous employer has incorrectly filed my P60 which I used for my renewal which has resulted in this over payment. Where do I stand? Will I have to pay this first and possibly try and claim the money back from my ex-employer? Or can the tax office go directly through them?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Carrie
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 8th Jul 18, 8:00 PM
    • 5,193 Posts
    • 3,389 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:00 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:00 PM
    Well first do you agree you earned 21k? If not you need to appeal and provide the appropriate evidence.

If you agree with the 21, you could dispute the overpayment on the grounds that it was your employers error. The overpayment is yours though, you received the benefit, not your employer so they won't pursue the debt from them.

Do you not get payslips? Is the 21K more than you'd normally earn? They may question why you'd accept the 17k on the P60 when you know you normally earn more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,095Posts Today

6,822Users online

Martin's Twitter