Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cuilean
    • By Cuilean 8th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 676Posts
    • 1,313Thanks
    Cuilean
    Tenant damaged house with satellite TV installation
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    Tenant damaged house with satellite TV installation 8th Jul 18 at 7:25 PM
    As an unintentional landlord (I've inherited a property and its tenant from my late grandfather), I'm not sure how to proceed with this.

Our tenant moved out at the end of her tenancy. We provided her with a working satellite dish and faceplate to plug in to. The rental agreement says she's not to install an aerial, satellite dish or cable equipment. A separate clause says she's not to make changes or alterations to the property without consent, and that she'll be liable to pay costs for removal or damage repair, regardless of whether she got our permission to do an installation or not.

Without telling us, our tenant (Or someone she hired) took down our existing satellite dish, put up a new one, and after running cable across the back of the house, drilled a wobbly inch square hole from the exterior to the interior, on the other side of the living room. The hole has not been sealed externally. Internally, we have a matching inch square hole about a metre up the wall with two metres of cable dangling from it, and a chunk of missing wallpaper.

She was specifically told at the start of the tenancy she was not to drill holes in the walls, simply because they have an internal concrete render which is a nightmare to drill into (I think she has discovered this, given the size of the hole )

The letting agent did a checkout inspection and said he was happy with what he saw, but I disagree. She's damaged walls internally and externally, and since the wall was papered, it's not a simple case of polyfilla and paint.

The daft thing is, if she'd asked if she could move the satellite point, I'd have said yes, on the proviso that it was done by a professional, and with a faceplate, not a trailing cable!

My ideal solution is for the wall gap to be repaired professionally, and the trailing cable to be replaced with a faceplate to hide the torn wallpaper. It's probably easier than removing everything and reinstating things as they were, since the original satellite cables have been cut and left dangling from the bracket. The whole installation needs tidying up, and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for her to pay for it. Could someone with landlord experience advise?
    Cuilean 2005. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
Page 2
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th Jul 18, 8:46 AM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    Carrot007
    I am still trying to work out how they managed to drill a square hole.
    Originally posted by ariba10

I doubt they did (never seen one for concrete), but feel free to google square hole drill bit, youtube might mave some fun videos too.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 18, 9:01 AM
    • 18,407 Posts
    • 16,615 Thanks
    AdrianC
    They're out there.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-ebs-single-box-cutter/65150

SDS drill on roto-stop.

But, in the OP's case, I suspect it's just a badly bodged hole where the render (not plaster?) fell out in a roughly-square lump.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 9th Jul 18, 9:32 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    westernpromise
    I would think the reason for doing this was to do a cheap and shoddy job where the drawbacks are all somebody else's problem. Had the tenant asked for this to be done you'd have appointed a proper contractor who'd have done it the right way at greater expense to herself.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 9th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 1,188 Thanks
    tacpot12
    The OP's point is that the deduction is being made to encourage the tenant to act in a tenant-like manner in future. It doesn't matter that it would have cost the OP more had the tenant done so (or that they inherited the property).
    • NewInvestor35
    • By NewInvestor35 9th Jul 18, 12:06 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    NewInvestor35
    As a landlord myself I can sympathise with the OP. I have no doubt the tenant would not have recalled these various contract clauses when arranging to have Sky TV installed. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't even know they were in there and just signed the contract regardless.

I think the managing agent is quite symptomatic of agents in general, in so much that they are quite happy to cream the profit from your rental income without really doing a lot. My experience is that they have no vested interest in the condition or treatment of the properties they manage and will tick all of the necessary boxes without really drilling down into details.

For example, my agent called me a few months ago to let me know that a radiator had fallen off the wall and that I'd need to pay for a plumber to re-fit. Not until I queried how on earth a radiator just 'falls off a wall' and asked them what exactly their role is if they don't stop nonsense like this from reaching me did they go back to the tenant to quiz exactly how this had happened. It transpired that her kids had been sitting or leaning on it, causing it to become unstable. Eventually, after arguing with the agent, they asked the tenant to pay, but they wouldn't have, had I not been onto them about it.

Point is, the agents don't give two hoots about your property and neither do the tenants. So my advice would be to go through everything with a fine tooth comb because no one else will. I'm sure there are loads of tenants that do look after the properties they rent, there will be lots that don't.

I would definitely seek to have the damage caused to be repaired to your satisfaction. Why should the landlord be out of pocket because the Sky installer did a cowboy install?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,383Posts Today

7,853Users online

Martin's Twitter