Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chandler2018
    • By Chandler2018 8th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chandler2018
    Accidentally Booked a Holiday Villa in Australia - Trying to Obtain Refund on Deposit
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    Accidentally Booked a Holiday Villa in Australia - Trying to Obtain Refund on Deposit 8th Jul 18 at 6:38 PM
    My wife made a big mistake earlier this year. She accidentally booked a holiday villa in Mandurah, Australia as our daughter is getting married there in January 2019. She thought she was submitting an enquiry but instead booked two properties for the same date. Upon trying to cancel one of these we discovered that it was the owner's policy not to offer refunds on deposits. We contacted the owner to explain the situation and appeal to their better nature. We have thus far received no response. Does anyone know what the law in Australia says in relation to refunding deposits? Are there any organisations there we could contact for advice/support? Our trip to Australia is now in jeopardy as we aren't very well off and the deposit was close to £1,000. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
Page 2
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 12,958 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Thank you. I was going to contact the Australian Government next.
    Originally posted by Chandler2018
    No wonder our government is in such a mess, they’re busy fielding enquiries from people who’ve booked a BnB in Skegness on the wrong dates...
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jul 18, 9:02 PM
    • 20,625 Posts
    • 11,475 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    the deposit was close to £1,000.
    Originally posted by Chandler2018
    How could this huge amount be paid by "mistake"?

Far from seeking redress via Australian law (or their government ) I'd be explaining to one or other of the recipients of this money that the booking is a very gross error and asking politely for a goodwill refund.

As the date is (early) next year, there is still leeway here for that date to be re-sold with little loss to the owner of the property. However, I'd be very surprised if a 100% refund will be forthcoming..
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 10th Jul 18, 9:10 PM
    • 11,019 Posts
    • 23,656 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Some schools have obviously already broken up for the holidays!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,468Users online

Martin's Twitter