Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kevy-Kev
    • By Kevy-Kev 8th Jul 18, 5:33 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kevy-Kev
    Failure to issue the correct credit card
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:33 PM
    Failure to issue the correct credit card 8th Jul 18 at 5:33 PM
    I have had a fee paying account with my bank for well over a decade that is meant to provide preferential rates on saving as well as credit cards etc. I discovered when attempting to arrange for balance transfer to this credit card, that my back had me still registered on a student credit card, and therefore no access to things such as cashback, and lower balance transfer fee. In addition the bank had attempted to proceed with the balance transfer on to the incorrectly issued credit card, which would of mean't I would have paid a higher rate, until I questioned the initial balance transfer fee. Since the bank has acknowledged that a mistake was made(not in writing), but has not apologized for the error, but has started the process of issuing me the correct credit card.

My question is ... Since I have been paying a monthly fee for well over a decade, but not had access to some of the benefits due to the banks error, would I be entitled to a partial repayment of monthly fee, due to the bank negligence?

Has anyone one come across this before?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Jul 18, 5:38 PM
    • 19,382 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:38 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:38 PM
    Put in a complaint and see what happens.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Jul 18, 5:45 PM
    • 39,186 Posts
    • 36,101 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:45 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:45 PM
    Surely the bottom line is, have you tried to use any of these benefits over the past ten years? Or missed out on anything? If not, I can't see how you'd be entitled to a refund, but a small payment for the hassle of sorting this out might be forthcoming.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern!
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 8th Jul 18, 5:58 PM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 4,383 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:58 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:58 PM
    Did you ever apply for the credit card that provides cashback?
    Just because you have an account that will provide preferential rates on other products, it doesn't mean they hand out the product without request.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 8th Jul 18, 7:30 PM
    • 25,318 Posts
    • 12,548 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:30 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:30 PM
    Please name the bank.
    Student accounts did not have a fee as far as I can recall from any bank.
    The monthly statement either sent to you by post or online would have told you the type of card you held.
    Student credit cards tended to be charged less interest than normal credit cards.
    Finally I have a monthly fee bank account and I have a card with the same bank but I cannot recall any terms that said I was entitled to either a lower rate card or lower balance transfer fee other than special offers that they issue from time to time.
    I think you can see where I am coming from.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 9th Jul 18, 5:43 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    • 9th Jul 18, 5:43 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 5:43 AM
    Student accounts did not have a fee as far as I can recall from any bank.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    They did and the fees were quite high. Some 8 years ago the only bank that would be happy to open an account for me without charging for the service was Lloyds. The situation changed I believe some time around 2012.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 9th Jul 18, 7:15 AM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 4,383 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 9th Jul 18, 7:15 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 7:15 AM
    They did and the fees were quite high.
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    What were they charging a fee for?
    How much were they charging for this?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 9th Jul 18, 7:53 AM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 3,311 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 9th Jul 18, 7:53 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 7:53 AM
    I think people who pay a completely pointless monthly fee for over 10 years should be fined rather than reimbursed.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 9th Jul 18, 8:28 PM
    • 25,318 Posts
    • 12,548 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 9th Jul 18, 8:28 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 8:28 PM
    They did and the fees were quite high. Some 8 years ago the only bank that would be happy to open an account for me without charging for the service was Lloyds. The situation changed I believe some time around 2012.
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    Sorry but I think you are wrong.
    From as far back as I can remember student bank accounts were fee to run with very useful free overdraft facilities.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,136Posts Today

6,900Users online

Martin's Twitter