Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sugarbabe84
    • By sugarbabe84 8th Jul 18, 4:11 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 33Thanks
    sugarbabe84
    Cancelling Carpetright order
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:11 PM
    Cancelling Carpetright order 8th Jul 18 at 4:11 PM
    I recently made an order at Carpetright for £2800, with 0% finance.

Im not happy with the service they have provided and would like to cancel my order.

Firstly, the original carpet that I had wanted at the time of measurement request was unabaible at the 50% price Id een it at.

Secondly, when they came to measure at my house, they were meant to bring some samples but never did. I had to try and figure out the sample to go with my worktops by proxy.

Thirdly, it took 6 days and 2 telephone calls from me before they could commit to a fitting date.

I made the order on 30th June. I wonder what right I have since Im not within 14 days of the order.

Their terms and conditions arent clear on the website. I made the order in store.

Ultimately my heart despairs that I will part with so much money for a poor service.
    Last edited by sugarbabe84; 08-07-2018 at 4:13 PM.
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Jul 18, 4:26 PM
    • 32,121 Posts
    • 20,206 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:26 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:26 PM
    Did you not sign anything, get a copy of what you signed ?
    • sugarbabe84
    • By sugarbabe84 8th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    sugarbabe84
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    Did you not sign anything, get a copy of what you signed ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I got a copy of what I signed. It was the Hitachi Capital consumer agreement. Iím clear on that one, it gives me a 14 days cancellation for the credit agreement.

Iím not sure if it also applies to the carpet right order.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 8th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 12,514 Posts
    • 9,805 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    If you made the order in store then the 14 days cooling off wouldn't apply anyway as that only applies to off-premises contracts (contracts made in your own home after requesting a visit from the trader for example) or distance contracts (contracts made exclusively using distant communication with no face to face before the contract is concluded).

From what you've said, you've picked the carpet and now have a fitting date, so whats changed since then that has you wanting to cancel now?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 8th Jul 18, 4:46 PM
    • 12,514 Posts
    • 9,805 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:46 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:46 PM
    I got a copy of what I signed. It was the Hitachi Capital consumer agreement. Iím clear on that one, it gives me a 14 days cancellation for the credit agreement.

Iím not sure if it also applies to the carpet right order.
    Originally posted by sugarbabe84
    Its to cancel the finance. That doesn't cancel the contract of sale though
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • sugarbabe84
    • By sugarbabe84 8th Jul 18, 4:54 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    sugarbabe84
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:54 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:54 PM
    If you made the order in store then the 14 days cooling off wouldn't apply anyway as that only applies to off-premises contracts (contracts made in your own home after requesting a visit from the trader for example) or distance contracts (contracts made exclusively using distant communication with no face to face before the contract is concluded).

From what you've said, you've picked the carpet and now have a fitting date, so whats changed since then that has you wanting to cancel now?
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Iím just not happy with the service and I donít feel right parting with all that money, which is why I want to know my cancellation rights.

I made the order on a whim and I donít feel comfortable with it.

Why should I be happy giving my money to a corporate for a sub standard service?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 8th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 4,519 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    Can we be clear you ordered in store .
    If so no cancellation rights as posted above .
    You can always ask nicely .
    • Mark23913
    • By Mark23913 8th Jul 18, 6:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mark23913
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:42 PM
    Canceling carpet order
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:42 PM
    You can cancel the finance. Your lack of trust in the service will suffice as a reason and you have not received the goods. Carpetright will in turn then withhold the goods and they will not pursue this. The goods are not fitted and are therefore reusable. They could try to charge you for this, but this is never a successful endeavour and always fails. Just call Hitachi and cancel.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Jul 18, 6:53 PM
    • 60,588 Posts
    • 43,207 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:53 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:53 PM
    You can cancel the finance. Your lack of trust in the service will suffice as a reason and you have not received the goods. Carpetright will in turn then withhold the goods and they will not pursue this. The goods are not fitted and are therefore reusable. They could try to charge you for this, but this is never a successful endeavour and always fails. Just call Hitachi and cancel.
    Originally posted by Mark23913
    Your advice is both incorrect and dangerous and I suggest that you read up on consumer laws before you get yourself in trouble.

As correctly stated above the finance is completely independent so can be cancelled as per the written instructions. The Capet will be a completely separate contract and nothing to do with the finance company, carpetright will not just write off a purchase and let buyer walk away. Buyer needs to read their contract that relates to the purchase, as it stands they have no automatic right to cancel and can be taken to court for the unpaid bill.

Here's the sticky thread that might be useful for you

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4922954
    Last edited by soolin; 08-07-2018 at 6:55 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Mark23913
    • By Mark23913 8th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mark23913
    I've had experience of this scenario. Carpetright did not pursue this. Its pointless for them.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 10,127 Posts
    • 11,391 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I've had experience of this scenario. Carpetright did not pursue this. Its pointless for them.
    So on the basis of one personal experience you feel qualified to state that:
    They could try to charge you for this, but this is never a successful endeavour and always fails. Just call Hitachi and cancel.
    • rhinestonemaiden
    • By rhinestonemaiden 9th Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    rhinestonemaiden
    More unhelpful replies for you apart from Mark. If you signed the agreement with Hitachi in store, you are covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, as it is a three way debtor-creditor-supplier agreement. This means that Hitachi is just as liable as Carpetright when things go wrong, and Carpetright has to pay back all your money to Hitachi and both are liable to pay compensation for distress, anxiety and waste of your time. If they cut up rough lower down the chain of command, write a letter to the Executive Complaints Team of both companies at their Head Office address, copy in both companies with all emails/letters. Explain all the problems you have had and why you are dissatisfied. At the same time cancel the fitting date and tell Head Office you have done this. Demand Carpetright repays Hitachi IN FULL (not minus the cost of the carpet) and ask for compensation. Make sure you get a formal statement from Hitachi's Agreements Department showing nothing is owed or it will affect your credit rating. As to the goods ordered, it's Carpetright's loss for their poor customer service and they will just have to swallow that.
    • sugarbabe84
    • By sugarbabe84 9th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    • 254 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    sugarbabe84
    Thanks Mark and Rhinestonemaiden. I rang Carpetright this morning and just happened to speak to the guy who I made the order with.

He started off by implying I was giving him the wrong order date before he even checked the paperwork, which was uncalled for. On the carpetright website I logged on and it says that the carpet I ordered is on hold as its out of stock, perhaps this is whats led to this delay, I wonder.

When I made the order he didnt tell me that the carpet is not in stock.

Theres a catalogue of complaints I want to make about how they have handled my order.

I spoke to Hitachi this morning and advised it shouldnt be an issue cancelling the order and the agreement. They said if there is an issue cancelling the order I should ring them up as they have a team that deals with it all.
    Last edited by sugarbabe84; 09-07-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 10,127 Posts
    • 11,391 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    More unhelpful replies for you apart from Mark.
    Originally posted by rhinestonemaiden
    By unhelpful, you mean replies that although are legally correct, don't state what the OP was hoping to hear.

you are covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, as it is a three way debtor-creditor-supplier agreement. This means that Hitachi is just as liable as Carpetright when things go wrong, and Carpetright has to pay back all your money to Hitachi and both are liable to pay compensation for distress, anxiety and waste of your time
    Originally posted by rhinestonemaiden
    Can you show me what part of the CCA allows the OP to claim for distress, anxiety and wasted time.

So far, the only problems that the OP has experienced are:
    The carpet they wanted was unavailable at the price they had originally seen it at.
    They could have decided not to go ahead at this point.

Carpetright didn't bring samples at the time of measuring.
    The OP could probably have used this point to cancel the agreement.

It took 6 days to arrange a fitting date.
    IMO, hardly an excessive time.

From what I can see, none of this is sufficient to claim breach of contract and invoking CCA rights.
    If the agreed fitting date is delayed by more than a reasonable amount then yes, they should legally be able to cancel the contract but at the moment I think it will be done to a goodwill gesture by Carpetright.
    • sugarbabe84
    • By sugarbabe84 9th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    sugarbabe84
    By unhelpful, you mean replies that although are legally correct, don't state what the OP was hoping to hear.

Can you show me what part of the CCA allows the OP to claim for distress, anxiety and wasted time.

So far, the only problems that the OP has experienced are:
    The carpet they wanted was unavailable at the price they had originally seen it at.
    They could have decided not to go ahead at this point.

Carpetright didn't bring samples at the time of measuring.
    The OP could probably have used this point to cancel the agreement.

It took 6 days to arrange a fitting date.
    IMO, hardly an excessive time.

From what I can see, none of this is sufficient to claim breach of contract and invoking CCA rights.
    If the agreed fitting date is delayed by more than a reasonable amount then yes, they should legally be able to cancel the contract but at the moment I think it will be done to a goodwill gesture by Carpetright.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    For you it isn!!!8217;t a big deal to have a delay of 19 days fitting, but for me it I, especially as I!!!8217;m unable to move into the property until it has flooring.

At the time of order he did not tell me it would take this long. I fact he said he would ring me the following day to discuss fitting dates which he never did.

I rang up on the Monday and spoke to someone who told me I!!!8217;m not going to get a fitting date until the end of the month. I expressed my distress at that point and he said he would ring me back to update me on whether it can be expediated. On the Friday I followed up and managed to get a fitting date of the 19th on the condition it gets done by then otherwise I!!!8217;m cancelling order. However this weekend I have been reflecting on this because I have 5 days left should I wish to cancel hitachi agreement.

If carpetright let me down next week then I!!!8217;m screwed as I cannot go back on hitachi agreement. I should have the flooring in before the curtains are in.

Added to that, the carpet is out of stock at the money and there are no guarantees as far as I can see that it will be in by next week.
    Last edited by sugarbabe84; 09-07-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 31,146 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Good for you, now please tell us who won the world cup in 2018 as well please and I will call my bookmaker!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 31,146 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I have used my local carpet fitter this year three times, and ordered on a Saturday and they fitted the same week. very competitive and I recommend them. They always offer discounts in January and February!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 9th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 15,841 Posts
    • 21,761 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    When you originally ordered the carpet and asked about what date it could be measured and then fitted, what did they say?

I have ordered from Tapi, and it was 6 days until they could measure, then another 2 weeks until a fitting date was available.

Perfectly reasonable.

Could you not change to a flooring that IS in stock?

You need to read the T&Cs of the Carpetright agreement, not the finance one.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • sugarbabe84
    • By sugarbabe84 9th Jul 18, 12:39 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    sugarbabe84
    When you originally ordered the carpet and asked about what date it could be measured and then fitted, what did they say?

I have ordered from Tapi, and it was 6 days until they could measure, then another 2 weeks until a fitting date was available.

Perfectly reasonable.

Could you not change to a flooring that IS in stock?

You need to read the T&Cs of the Carpetright agreement, not the finance one.
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    The T&C conditions from Carpetright aren!!!8217;t as clearly laid out as they are with Hitachi.

I!!!8217;ve got bits and pieces from their website which I!!!8217;m going on. It!!!8217;s likely I!!!8217;ll need to make a head office complaint and also to hitachi if I don!!!8217;t get an update from the store today.

No I don!!!8217;t want to order another carpet from them. As mentioned before, I!!!8217;m not happy parting with so much money for a poor service.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 9th Jul 18, 1:10 PM
    • 15,841 Posts
    • 21,761 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    The T&C conditions from Carpetright aren!!!8217;t as clearly laid out as they are with Hitachi.

I!!!8217;ve got bits and pieces from their website which I!!!8217;m going on. It!!!8217;s likely I!!!8217;ll need to make a head office complaint and also to hitachi if I don!!!8217;t get an update from the store today.

No I don!!!8217;t want to order another carpet from them. As mentioned before, I!!!8217;m not happy parting with so much money for a poor service.
    Poor service? So far their service has been within their own T&Cs:

Delivery
    Estimated delivery and/or installation dates are given in good faith but are not guaranteed times and should not be relied upon as such If the expected delivery time is likely to, or does, exceed 30 days you will be able to cancel your order if you wish and receive a full refund.
    So if it goes over 30 days, then you can cancel.

(Although this is for online orders. Surely you signed something in the shop??)

Why complain to the finance? You only need to involve finance if the goods are not as described.

I made the order on a whim and I donít feel comfortable with it.
    You just need to be patient.

You have already admitted you ordered on a whim. The only person to blame in this scenario is YOU for not doing enough research first, so you need to stop blaming others.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,494Users online

Martin's Twitter