Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Jul 18, 2:43 PM
    • 17,124Posts
    • 43,158Thanks
    elsien
    Where's the ladybirds gone?
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:43 PM
    Where's the ladybirds gone? 8th Jul 18 at 2:43 PM
    Only seen one in my garden this year (probably not helped by a distinct lack on greenfly.)
    I normally have lots, don't tend to go around spraying things and tend to a more organic approach. I've not even spotted the dreaded harlequin larvae.
    Is it just me, and is there anything else I can do to encourage them?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Page 1
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 8th Jul 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:46 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:46 PM
    Not seen many butterflies this year either. Perhaps something to do with that long, dark wet winter.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Jul 18, 3:34 PM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 8th Jul 18, 3:34 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 3:34 PM
    Iíve got loads of butterflies and ladybirds this year. Lots of variety too. I saw five different types of buttefly as I drank my morning coffee today. There are currently three flapping about, and thatís a small garden two miles from a city centre. Iíll count my blessings!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jul 18, 4:44 PM
    • 26,127 Posts
    • 94,832 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:44 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:44 PM
    Plentiful insects, but no ladybirds seen down here, not that many are usually seen anyway.

I find insect distribution may be very localised. Last year we had far more butterflies than people a mile away, who were complaining about the lack of them.There is nothing obviously different about their situation and ours.

A village 7 miles distant, where I walk while the van's being MoT'd every July seems particularly bereft. I stopped next to 3 buddleia bushes in full flower and didn't see a bee, let alone a butterfly!
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Jul 18, 6:12 PM
    • 6,471 Posts
    • 10,706 Thanks
    Farway
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:12 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:12 PM
    I've squadrons of butterflies, mainly cabbage whites of course

Only seen one ladybird, but now have blackfly on the runners so I hope the little bu66er gets to work sharpish
    • madjackslam
    • By madjackslam 9th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    madjackslam
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    Plenty of butterlies here - mostly whites, but also blues, small tortoiseshells, comma, speckled wood; saw a burnet moth yesterday for the first time. Gorgeous. I'd say I've seen the usual number of ladybirds, although I think there may be fewer green/blackfly than usual. Slugs and snails seem to be down too and for the second year hardly any lily beetles. Finally, when you disturb an ants' nest in this whether, how fast do the little beggars move? Turbocharged.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 9th Jul 18, 9:32 AM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:32 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:32 AM
    Lots of butterflies here; went for a run through some woodland and a 20m stretch must have contained about 50+.

Only seen one ladybird this year; I've got enough aphids to fill a bathtub, and just as many ants farming the sods.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 9th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    Lots of butterflies here too, we've got a few Buddleia bushes plenty around them and loads on the walk I take the dog on. A couple of varieties I've not seen before too. I've seen a few ladybirds but not that many.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 9th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    unrecordings
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    lots of butterflies & ladybirds here
    less slugs than usual which is nice
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 11,606 Posts
    • 8,390 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Loads of butterflies in my garden, but then we do have a lot of butterfly friendly plants including a large buddleja. To be fair ladybirds are mostly active in the spring months, right now most female ladybirds will be busy laying eggs.
    • malebolge
    • By malebolge 9th Jul 18, 3:40 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    malebolge
    I noticed a distinct lack of ladybirds in spring. Lots more aphids & ants than last year. As others have said, lots and lots of butterflies, and not just the infernal whites. Lots of blues & various skippers and more painted ladies & red admirals on my buddlejas than the last few years. I'm looking forward to this year's Big Butterfly Count https://www.bigbutterflycount.org/
    Also seeing more, and more variety of, bees. Nature has a way of balancing things (as long as us humans don't manage to screw with things too much). The ladybirds will be back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,486Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin