Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vix76
    • By Vix76 8th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Vix76
    DLA before diagnosis
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    DLA before diagnosis 8th Jul 18 at 2:32 PM
    Hi my daughter is at the very start of getting assessed for Aspergers..we are looking at least another 18 months of examinations etc..Has anyone ever sucessfully received DLA for their child?if so what kind of proof will i need to send with the claim
Page 1
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 8th Jul 18, 2:40 PM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 3,349 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:40 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:40 PM
    General guide to claiming DLA here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/disability-living-allowance/help-with-your-dla-claim/help-with-dla-form/

There is a link half way down to a long but very good and detailed guide to completing the form. Plus comments on evidence needed
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 8th Jul 18, 2:42 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Nannytone
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:42 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:42 PM
    What care or mobility needs does she have over and above another child of her age ?
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Jul 18, 2:57 PM
    • 30,041 Posts
    • 77,160 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:57 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:57 PM
    DLA before diagnosis

Health benefits are given on need, not diagnosis. People with the same diagnosis can have very different care needs.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 8th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 6,170 Posts
    • 11,615 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 8th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    An autism diagnosis (the UK no longer diagnoses aspergers) should only take a few weeks, an appointment with an ed psych followed by a call/meeting with the childs ped. Around eight weeks from start to finish.

DLA is based on need, not diagnosis. You will need to prove that she had care or mobility needs that a typical child of her age wouldn!!!8217;t have.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 8th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    _shel
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    An autism diagnosis (the UK no longer diagnoses aspergers) should only take a few weeks, an appointment with an ed psych followed by a call/meeting with the childs ped. Around eight weeks from start to finish.

DLA is based on need, not diagnosis. You will need to prove that she had care or mobility needs that a typical child of her age wouldn!!!8217;t have.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    Diagnosis for children takes 18 months to 4 years depending on the NHS area you live in. Most authorities only accept a triple assessment, Speech & Language, Ed Psych and Pead then to a panel for decision. Ours took 2 years despite being relatively straight forward.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 8th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 11,614 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    Vix76 How old is your daughter?

As other posters have said, DLA is given for need, not for a specific diagnosis....you can claim DLA BEFORE she is officially diagnosed.

You will need to show she 'needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability' (quote is from the Gov.uk site)...this can be tricky - as ALL children need care, you need to be able to show that your girl needs substantially more than others her age.

I asked about her age, because if she is of school age there may well be a SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) at the school who may be able to help you identify those areas where you can claim she needs the extra help.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 8th Jul 18, 6:29 PM
    • 6,170 Posts
    • 11,615 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:29 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:29 PM
    Diagnosis for children takes 18 months to 4 years depending on the NHS area you live in. Most authorities only accept a triple assessment, Speech & Language, Ed Psych and Pead then to a panel for decision. Ours took 2 years despite being relatively straight forward.
    Originally posted by _shel
    I worked in this area and it would typically take eight weeks, we had a few take four if the ed psych was available earlier. Most authorities have ditched SALT as they are irrelevant where ASD is concerned.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 8th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 8,123 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    I worked in this area and it would typically take eight weeks, we had a few take four if the ed psych was available earlier. Most authorities have ditched SALT as they are irrelevant where ASD is concerned.

My son took two years to diagnose. This was after a number of years of being told that there was no problem. He has been 'different' since he was a baby, and I had sought help several times. At ten, he was diagnosed with depression, and again I was told that he wasn't autistic, although I was able to give plenty of examples of his traits and the concerns that I had.

It was only when he was fifteen and self harmed that CAMHS actually listened. Almost immediately I was told that his history meant that they were thinking of an Asperger's diagnosis. It took another twenty three months before we were told that he has high functioning autism (as it is no longer called Asperger's Syndrome).

I've never applied for DLA or PIP for my son, although I receive it for my other son, who has complex needs.
    • Electrum
    • By Electrum 12th Jul 18, 11:02 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Electrum
    You can indeed apply before the diagnosis

If you fill in the forms honestly and think carefully how many times a night you have to get up for the child things like that.

I got lowest level DLA, and am still on the long waiting list for a diagnosis

I have a question about how long you get it for? Im fully expecting it to stop or get a letter asking for more information.

How long does a claim useually last for?

Do they check to see if the child is still in the same condition?
    • Electrum
    • By Electrum 21st Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Electrum
    What happens when the DLA claim comes to an end?

Is it easy enough to get another claim? Or should the child go on to PIP or something else?
    • _shel
    • By _shel 21st Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    _shel

Is it easy enough to get another claim? Or should the child go on to PIP or something else?
    Originally posted by Electrum
    PIP is for adults, you reapply for DLA before the award runs out
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 21st Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    • 8,123 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    kingfisherblue

Originally posted by Electrum

Before a claim ends, you are contacted and have to fill in another form. Obviously the needs of children change as they grow, so it is usual to have to renew a claim every 2-5 years. Occasionally longer awards are given.

Once a child reaches 16, they are invited to apply for PIP. DLA continues to be paid until a decision has been made about PIP.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 22nd Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    • 6,618 Posts
    • 4,571 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.

I would beg to differ on this as my daughter who has a primary diagnosis of ADHD a few years ago is now being reassessed for ASPERGERS (this is written on the letter CAHMS psychiatric consultant has written to me), Ive been waiting in the Iscan line now for 12months, ive been told that although the Isan process is supposed to bring the agencies involved in assessment under one umbrella long diagnosis and assessment delays are possible due to funding and staffing issues.

• poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 22nd Aug 18, 7:23 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 3,610 Thanks
    poppy12345
    It is true that they no longer diagnose aspergers in the UK. It's now all part of ASD. The reason i know this is true is because my daughter has very recently been through the ASD assessment and we were told that they no longer diagnose Aspergers. Her assessment process took 4 months in total from the time of her first assessment. Waiting list for her was approx 4 months but she was pushed to close to the top because of her age. Results came back 4 weeks ago.

Anyone who had an Aspergers syndrome diagnosis prior to 2013 is now considered to have Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)

https://www.verywellhealth.com/does-asperger-syndrome-still-exist-259944
    • _shel
    • By _shel 22nd Aug 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    _shel
    They can't diagnose aspergers because it no longer appears in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders that lists all conditions and their criteria for diagnosis.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 22nd Aug 18, 9:05 PM
    • 6,891 Posts
    • 14,983 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I would beg to differ on this as my daughter who has a primary diagnosis of ADHD a few years ago is now being reassessed for ASPERGERS (this is written on the letter CAHMS psychiatric consultant has written to me), Ive been waiting in the Iscan line now for 12months, ive been told that although the Isan process is supposed to bring the agencies involved in assessment under one umbrella long diagnosis and assessment delays are possible due to funding and staffing issues.
    Originally posted by atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Thatís worrying as it is not a legitimate diagnosis. It is autism.

Itís a shame people are still clinging to this Ďaspergersí title, especially practitioners.
    • Hoogle
    • By Hoogle 24th Aug 18, 3:47 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Hoogle
    30th of November 2016 referred to AAT

7th July 2017 my report was returned with a pretty clear diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome.
    "X was subsequently diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome"

Then goes on to list the 3 diagnostic criteria for Autism more specifically Asperger's Syndrome that the AAT use are..

DSM V (released May 2013)
    ICD-10 uses the term Asperger's Syndrome
    Gillberg's Criteria for Asperger's Syndrome.

So not sure I agree with the UK no longer diagnose Asperger's as I was only 1 year ago.
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 24th Aug 18, 5:17 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Bananas123
    they (doctor) will have mistakenly referred to it as "aspergers" (using "old" terminology.)

ASD (spectoral - "aspergers included") - in so much as; like people say the waiting times can be YEARS as the assessor has to be thorough / not enough of them about (as G.P.s can often mistake it as ADHD etc - works both ways / negatively impacts waiting times / not enough time in the day).

**the name/terminology is not important - they need to get care to the ones in need etc hence group terming.
    Last edited by Bananas123; 24-08-2018 at 5:22 AM.
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 24th Aug 18, 5:24 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Bananas123
    Hi my daughter is at the very start of getting assessed for Aspergers..we are looking at least another 18 months of examinations etc..Has anyone ever sucessfully received DLA for their child?if so what kind of proof will i need to send with the claim
    Originally posted by Vix76
    ...get applying right away - a referral letter will do (you can always re-apply pending/after diagnosis and can send in evidence later)

- you will have the opportunity to explain the situation to them

kind regards.
    Last edited by Bananas123; 24-08-2018 at 5:28 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,553Posts Today

6,815Users online

Martin's Twitter