Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Helpmelord
    • By Helpmelord 8th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Helpmelord
    Variable Speed Limit Ticket - Help.
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    Variable Speed Limit Ticket - Help. 8th Jul 18 at 1:30 PM
    So I have to admit a very unfortunate event happened to me.

Please note I passed my driving test 1 month ago. I was travelling on the M25 at 70 MPH, normal motorway speed) when I saw 2 flashes, (obviously a speed camera), I then noticed there were variable speed limits in place for 50 MPH, I did not see these overhead before, however I did notice one sign on stilts straight after. Of course I instantly had a panic attack. About 10 seconds later after the flash and after I saw the sign , I saw signs overhead for national 70 MPH again. The conditions of the roads were clear, without roadwords or traffic so I new the flash was for me.

No I'm just wondering, this is considered a band B offence for 20 MPH over. However I find it so stupid to make the motorway 50 MPH for no legit reason. My questions are, will they give me any grace for this mistake? I'm wondering will I get 4,5, or 6 points? Or because I have never had another offence because I've only been driving for a month will they just give me a 7-28 day ban?

Help. This sucks.
Page 2
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 8th Jul 18, 9:36 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    Car 54

Getting back to the OP, to get a speed awareness course you'd need to have been going under 66mph. Which if your speedo said exactly 70mph you *might* just squeak under, though it's unlikely.
    Originally posted by HornetSaver
    Under 65. The cut-off point for a course is 110% of limit plus 9 mph, so 64.
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 8th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    "Getting back to the OP, to get a speed awareness course you'd need to have been going under 66mph."
    Close, but no cigar. You do indeed need to have been travelling under 66 mph.But you actually need to be travelling under 65mph. Speed Awareness Courses are normally offered up to (Limit + 10% + 9mph). So, in a 50 limit, 64 would normally be dealt with by a SAC whilst 65 would see a fixed penalty. A second SAC will not be offered where the offender has done one previously within three years (the dates of the offences being used for the calculation). The exception is that is one of the two has been offered by the Dorset Safety Camera Partnership. Dorset does not participate in the national scheme and an offender who has done a Dorset course may also do another from a different area within three years (and vice versa).

Whilst on the subject, since this is the second thread in the past couple of days where posters have been told incorrectly that they would be going to court, perhaps I could explain the fixed penalty limits. They are normally offered as follows (where a Speed Awareness Course is not appropriate, as above):

Where the limit is 20mph, FP is offered up to 40mph
    30mph up to 50mph
    40mph up to 65mph
    50mph up to 75mph
    60mph up to 85mph
    70mph up to 95mph

A Fixed penalty will not be offered when three points would take the offender to twelve or more (because he faces a six month ban under the "totting up" rules). However one would be offered if it would take a "New Driver" (one who has passed his first test less than two years before the offence) to six points or more (and so face revocation of his licence), The former can be avoided because it is imposed judiciously by the court and the court has the discretion not to impose it; the latter cannot be avoided because it is imposed administratively by the DVLA and the court has no power to prevent it.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 8th Jul 18, 9:59 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    debtdebt
    With respect, this is rubbish.

If it was indeed a 50 limit, any speed up to 75 is going to mean a fixed penalty, 3 points and £100.
    Originally posted by Car 54

75mph in a 50mph is a Band B offence.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Jul 18, 10:32 PM
    • 18,358 Posts
    • 16,588 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    If it goes to court. Which it won't, unless the OP is already only 3pts away from either a totting ban or a first-two-year cancellation, or refuses to engage with the inevitable FPN.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 8th Jul 18, 11:40 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    Car 54

Originally posted by debtdebt
    Undoubtedly. But only if the OP refuses a fixed penalty. Which would be foolish.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Jul 18, 1:51 AM
    • 3,546 Posts
    • 2,619 Thanks
    Tarambor
    I;m just wondering in this circumstance, because there was no clear signage, and because I have not had another offence and because no there was no circumstance or reason for 50 MPH variable (I have been reading and they sometimes give the ban if you have not been a threat to the road before)

A ban would be ideal, 4 points would be bad but doable, but 6 points means a lost license within 2 years of driving.
    Originally posted by Helpmelord
    If you cannot see a big illuminated sign directly in front of you you shouldn't be on the road. And there was a reason for the 50MPH limit, congestion a few miles ahead of you. They often lower the speed limits several miles back to relieve congestion ahead.

A ban will mean eye watering insurance.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Jul 18, 3:01 AM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    If it is an indicated 70, it won't be a ban but 3 points
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Jul 18, 7:35 AM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    If it goes to court. Which it won't, unless the OP is already only 3pts away from either a totting ban or a first-two-year cancellation, or refuses to engage with the inevitable FPN.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Three points already on his licence wonít see it going to court. Itís the dvla who revoke the licence not the court.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 9th Jul 18, 9:07 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    Three points already on his licence won!!!8217;t see it going to court. It!!!8217;s the dvla who revoke the licence not the court.
    Indeed. As I said earlier:

A Fixed penalty will not be offered when three points would take the offender to twelve or more (because he faces a six month ban under the "totting up" rules). However one would be offered if it would take a "New Driver" (one who has passed his first test less than two years before the offence) to six points or more (and so face revocation of his licence), The former can be avoided because it is imposed judiciously by the court and the court has the discretion not to impose it; the latter cannot be avoided because it is imposed administratively by the DVLA and the court has no power to prevent it.
    • Helpmelord
    • By Helpmelord 28th Jul 18, 3:52 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helpmelord
    Hello Guys.

Thank you for all your comments.

As an update here was the final verdict:

NOTHING. It is now been over 3 weeks and I did not recieve anything in the post. Now I'd like to know why I wasn't caught considering it definitely flashed. Very unusual, counting my lucky stars. Taking this as a SOLID lesson. Thanks to everyoje for their advice.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 28th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    Car 54
    Hello Guys.

Thank you for all your comments.

As an update here was the final verdict:

NOTHING. It is now been over 3 weeks and I did not recieve anything in the post. Now I'd like to know why I wasn't caught considering it definitely flashed. Very unusual, counting my lucky stars. Taking this as a SOLID lesson. Thanks to everyoje for their advice.
    Originally posted by Helpmelord

As asked above, are you the registered keeper?
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 28th Jul 18, 5:55 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    And if so, are the details on the Vehicle Registration Document (V5C) correct in every respect?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,629Posts Today

4,863Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin