Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Helpmelord
    • By Helpmelord 8th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Helpmelord
    Variable Speed Limit Ticket - Help.
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    Variable Speed Limit Ticket - Help. 8th Jul 18 at 1:30 PM
    So I have to admit a very unfortunate event happened to me.

Please note I passed my driving test 1 month ago. I was travelling on the M25 at 70 MPH, normal motorway speed) when I saw 2 flashes, (obviously a speed camera), I then noticed there were variable speed limits in place for 50 MPH, I did not see these overhead before, however I did notice one sign on stilts straight after. Of course I instantly had a panic attack. About 10 seconds later after the flash and after I saw the sign , I saw signs overhead for national 70 MPH again. The conditions of the roads were clear, without roadwords or traffic so I new the flash was for me.

No I'm just wondering, this is considered a band B offence for 20 MPH over. However I find it so stupid to make the motorway 50 MPH for no legit reason. My questions are, will they give me any grace for this mistake? I'm wondering will I get 4,5, or 6 points? Or because I have never had another offence because I've only been driving for a month will they just give me a 7-28 day ban?

Help. This sucks.
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Jul 18, 1:44 PM
    • 18,430 Posts
    • 16,634 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:44 PM
    Driving at 70 on your speedo almost certainly means a few mph under 70. It's within the scope of a 3pt/100 fixed penalty, but probably too fast for a speed awareness course.

As far as the variable limit goes, cameras do not start to enforce immediately on a limit change. If everything was fully functioning, then you clearly missed seeing the signs. The signage is not 50 "for no reason" - you simply didn't see the reason, perhaps because the reduced limit worked, or perhaps for the same reason you didn't see the signage...
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 8th Jul 18, 1:44 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    debtdebt
    4-6 points or 7-28 day ban plus fine. Why would they give you any grace?
    • Helpmelord
    • By Helpmelord 8th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helpmelord
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    I;m just wondering in this circumstance, because there was no clear signage, and because I have not had another offence and because no there was no circumstance or reason for 50 MPH variable (I have been reading and they sometimes give the ban if you have not been a threat to the road before)

A ban would be ideal, 4 points would be bad but doable, but 6 points means a lost license within 2 years of driving.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Jul 18, 2:01 PM
    • 18,430 Posts
    • 16,634 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:01 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:01 PM
    I;m just wondering in this circumstance, because there was no clear signage
    Originally posted by Helpmelord
    Yes, there was... Bloody great big illuminated signs over the carriageway. They're either NSL or a reduced limit. You admit you saw 50 after you saw the flash.

and because no there was no circumstance or reason for 50 MPH variable
    That you saw. Not that there needs to be.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Jul 18, 2:35 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:35 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:35 PM
    Yes, there was... Bloody great big illuminated signs over the carriageway. They're either NSL or a reduced limit. You admit you saw 50 after you saw the flash.

That you saw. Not that there needs to be.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Or not illuminated at all if there are no speed reductions.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 8th Jul 18, 2:49 PM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:49 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 2:49 PM
    Have you actually got a ticket OP?
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 8th Jul 18, 3:12 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 1,388 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 8th Jul 18, 3:12 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 3:12 PM
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    OP will have to see what comes. If it's under 70, then it will be 3 points 100 fine and he will have to drive like Miss Daisy for just under 2 years to ensure he doesn't have his licence revoked and have to start again.

Edited to add, as per CPS website, up to and including 75mph in a 50 limit is fixed penalty.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-guidance-fixed-penalty-notices
    Last edited by Mercdriver; 08-07-2018 at 3:23 PM.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 8th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    • 3,311 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 8th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    With respect, this is rubbish.

If it was indeed a 50 limit, any speed up to 75 is going to mean a fixed penalty, 3 points and 100.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    • 60,847 Posts
    • 43,415 Thanks
    soolin
    I;m just wondering in this circumstance, because there was no clear signage, and because I have not had another offence and because no there was no circumstance or reason for 50 MPH variable (I have been reading and they sometimes give the ban if you have not been a threat to the road before)

A ban would be ideal, 4 points would be bad but doable, but 6 points means a lost license within 2 years of driving.
    I've no idea where you have been reading but I suggest you stop immediately.

There is no grace, no 'letting off' for good behaviour and frankly if you get a ticket within a month of passing your test it isn't looking good for your future at all.

All you can do is wait to see what happens, assuming the car is registered in your name and the correct address is showing then you should hear within 14 days.

If you want to know anything more then try this site:

http://www.pepipoo.com/

However, be warned they won't tolerate daft statements about having read nonsense, and if you sign up use a proper email address, Hotmail ones tend to get rejected.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Jul 18, 3:55 PM
    • 10,292 Posts
    • 11,573 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    no there was no circumstance or reason for 50 MPH variable
    Even though you couldn't see any reason for the limit to be reduced, this doesn't mean that there wasn't a legitimate reason for it.
    There may well have been congestion or an accident ahead and the speed limit was reduced because of this.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 8th Jul 18, 4:19 PM
    • 4,040 Posts
    • 13,235 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    The time to worry is when you receive the ticket. I came to the conclusion long ago that there's no point in worrying before.
    Whatever happens, take this as a warning. Take notice of what's going on around you. What signs there are. What other vehicles are doing.
    Most "good driving" is "good observation"
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • Helpmelord
    • By Helpmelord 8th Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helpmelord
    Jackmydad, thanks for your response this has been helpful feedback I will for certain, wait eagerly. Just to ask one more question, if I do not receive anything within the 14 days notice, can I assume that the outcome is nothing?
    • Helpmelord
    • By Helpmelord 8th Jul 18, 4:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helpmelord
    Even though you couldn't see any reason for the limit to be reduced, this doesn't mean that there wasn't a legitimate reason for it.
    There may well have been congestion or an accident ahead and the speed limit was reduced because of this.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Yes, that doesn't mean there was not a legitimate reason of course, However, I was driving for 20 minutes more and no congestion, or roadworks. Anyway, this does not help my cause, if the speed was set to 50
    • Helpmelord
    • By Helpmelord 8th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helpmelord
    With respect, this is rubbish.

If it was indeed a 50 limit, any speed up to 75 is going to mean a fixed penalty, 3 points and 100.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Thank you for your response. It is good to know - I was doing 70 MPH, so hopefully 3 points and 100 will be the final punishment
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jul 18, 5:27 PM
    • 21,020 Posts
    • 16,804 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Yes, that doesn't mean there was not a legitimate reason of course, However, I was driving for 20 minutes more and no congestion, or roadworks. Anyway, this does not help my cause, if the speed was set to 50

Once you've got a bit more driving experience you will find that restricted speed for no obvious reason is very common on our motorways, it's frustrating to all of us but unless you learn to observe and follow the posted limits you soon won't be driving at all.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Jul 18, 5:48 PM
    • 2,985 Posts
    • 3,884 Thanks
    unforeseen
    It could well be that slowing the traffic where you are will prevent a total standstill 5miles down the road
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 8th Jul 18, 6:30 PM
    • 3,311 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Car 54
    Jackmydad, thanks for your response this has been helpful feedback I will for certain, wait eagerly. Just to ask one more question, if I do not receive anything within the 14 days notice, can I assume that the outcome is nothing?

The NIP must be served on the Registered Keeper within 14 days. If you are not the RK, it could take some weeks longer.
    • HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 8th Jul 18, 9:17 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 4,532 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    Yes, there was... Bloody great big illuminated signs over the carriageway.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    If they were I'd completely agree with you - and from what I know about the M25 (Dartford around to Maple Cross) I do agree with you - but not all variable signs are like that.

In either Northamptonshire or Buckinghamshire on the M1 there are some extremely naughty variable speed limit signs which are left hand side only, and no I'm not confusing these for the advisory ones that come up in orange (which you can ignore, but ignoring these would be an aggravating factor should anything happen) these are proper variable speed limit signs. Should you happen to be overtaking a lorry or two you've had it. You really, really need a dashcam if you drive that stretch regularly.

When it comes to roadworks in non-variable stretches of motorway, if I see cones and don't know the speed limit I assume it's 50 until able to satisfy myself otherwise.

Getting back to the OP, to get a speed awareness course you'd need to have been going under 66mph. Which if your speedo said exactly 70mph you *might* just squeak under, though it's unlikely.
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Jul 18, 9:22 PM
    • 18,430 Posts
    • 16,634 Thanks
    AdrianC
    If they were I'd completely agree with you - and from what I know about the M25 (Dartford around to Maple Cross) I do agree with you
    Originally posted by HornetSaver
    The OP was on the M25.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,902Posts Today

9,179Users online

Martin's Twitter