Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittieviolet
    • By kittieviolet 8th Jul 18, 1:21 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 195Thanks
    kittieviolet
    Ethical Investing
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:21 PM
    Ethical Investing 8th Jul 18 at 1:21 PM
    Hi I am a total newbie to investing so please be kind. I wondered if anybody had any experience with ethical investing. Passive investing would be my choice. I have been looking at some ethically labelled funds but I am having difficulty choosing as I have never heard of some of the companies. Also my idea of ethical would be: sustainability, renewable energy companies and those with with no animal testing.
    I would be grateful for any pointers or anyone with experience in this area.
    Thanks in advance
Page 2
    • kittieviolet
    • By kittieviolet 9th Jul 18, 7:11 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    kittieviolet
    Thanks Firestone. This has been a very enlightening and interesting personal research project for me.
    Last edited by kittieviolet; 10-07-2018 at 6:14 AM. Reason: more content added
    • alli73
    • By alli73 10th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    alli73
    What did you decide to do?
    Hi Kittieviolet

Did you find a solution? I'd be interested in what you went for in the end. I'm currently on the merry-go-round you were on at the beginning of this thread!
    Live, Love, Laugh

Current savings £10k
    Saving goals put on hold whilst a full time mature student!
    Just looking to make the most of what I have
    • aroominyork
    • By aroominyork 10th Aug 18, 3:34 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    aroominyork
    Have a look at Baillie Gifford's Positive Change Fund. It launched in 2017 (and has risen 35% in the last year) and the blurb says "To produce capital growth over the long term. Investment will be primarily in equities of companies whose products or behaviour, in the ACDís opinion, make a positive impact. This will include companies addressing critical challenges in areas such as, but not limited to; education, social inclusion, healthcare and the environment. The Fund may also be invested in other transferable securities, money market instruments, collective investment schemes, deposits, cash and near cash. The Fund will be invested globally and the portfolio will be concentrated. Investments will be made following a process of fundamental business analysis by the Investment Advisor using its own research to identify companies where delivering a positive impact is core to their business and whose products or services represent an improvement to the status quo."

Before I stopped using an IFA last year and started DIYing, I invested in their Ethical & Environmental Fund because it performed better than the theoretically more adventurous funds. The explanation I was given for the outperformance was that many E&E-focused companies are mid-cap and that sector has been doing well in recent years.
    • kittieviolet
    • By kittieviolet 10th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    kittieviolet
    Hi alli73
    I did invest in Kames ethical equity in the end. I was very tied between Impax Environmental, Royal London ethical and the one I eventually plumped for. The choice I made fitted my personal criteria the best, but I admit that I found it all to be quite a dilemma and spent a lot of time researching until I was happy. Best of luck alli73 and thanks for the further advice aroominyork.
    Last edited by kittieviolet; 10-08-2018 at 6:11 PM. Reason: more content added
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

645Posts Today

5,456Users online

Martin's Twitter