Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jrcd92
    • By jrcd92 8th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 3Thanks
    jrcd92
    Burning scrap wood on multifuel stove
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    Burning scrap wood on multifuel stove 8th Jul 18 at 12:43 PM
    Hi all! Wondering if you can help...

My neighbour is a big carpentry buff and happened to pop in, commenting on our new multifuel stove that went in in February. He's got literally bags full of scrap hardwood he's used for his projects, and has offered to pass it over if I can use it.

Done a bit of research and seen conflicting opinions on whether you can or not, but other than any painted/stained bits, I don't see much reason why it wouldn't work. Any experience of doing the same? I'll sift through it all to remove any painted bits, of course, but just wanted to check before I stack out my garage with tons of the stuff!!

Jack
Page 1
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 8th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    It should be okay if its untreated wood, such as internal kiln dried softwood, but you may want to check. I used to do the same when I worked at a large DIY place. Avoid wood for exterior use as its treated and the chemicals may not always be coloured. Use plain wood too not MDF or plywood.
    • jrcd92
    • By jrcd92 8th Jul 18, 8:46 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jrcd92
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:46 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:46 PM
    Perfect, thanks for your quick reply! That's what I thought too. Will have a sift through but I think it should be fine!
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 8th Jul 18, 9:52 PM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:52 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:52 PM
    I would burn it no problem.
    Sounds like lovely stuff to me
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 8th Jul 18, 9:58 PM
    • 2,084 Posts
    • 2,864 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:58 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:58 PM
    My neighbour does similar: oak off cuts from joinery, and all seasoned and not treated. The bits are small but are a real treat to add to my stove and can be efficiently stored inside Jenga style. Don't burn it exclusively but use it in a mix to help the burn. I've had mahogany too but managed to find a wood turner/hobbyist for most of that. Even better the few bits I burned!
    • jrcd92
    • By jrcd92 9th Jul 18, 1:38 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jrcd92
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:38 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:38 PM
    Thank you all - much appreciated! I'll give it a go and I'm sure with the amount he's got stashed it'll keep us warm for at least a few months as part of a mix of fuels!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

436Posts Today

4,889Users online

Martin's Twitter