Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoeEngland
    • By JoeEngland 8th Jul 18, 12:34 PM
    • 165Posts
    • 223Thanks
    JoeEngland
    How to keep going for the last couple of years
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:34 PM
    How to keep going for the last couple of years 8th Jul 18 at 12:34 PM
    We have a plan to early retire in two years. Hopefully soon after that we'll put the house on the market as we need cash from buying a cheaper property, and I'm looking forward to living somewhere more rural.

For a few years I've been finding it difficult to stay motivated at work, but it's getting worse now and even two years more feels like a long time. I'm trying to focus on short-term goals such as holidays and getting various jobs on the house done. What is the experience of others in the last few years leading up to retirement, especially those for whom work is a chore rather than a passion?
Page 4
    • ermine
    • By ermine 11th Jul 18, 6:55 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    ermine
    What is the experience of others in the last few years leading up to retirement, especially those for whom work is a chore rather than a passion?
    Originally posted by JoeEngland
    It's a game of two halves; in many long-term goals like that the first half is hell, the second easier. I ramped up saving to get out in three years, the first year an a bit was grim, because I wasn't spending to compensate for the grind of work and felt skint all the time. The halfway point is where the distant shore starts to become nearer than the place you started the journey.

I've been out six years, and boy was the effort worth it in hindsight. I should have planned sooner, but there we go. On my original plan set more or less on leaving university I'd still be at work for a couple more years, and I'm chuffed to be shot of it. There's no shortage of interest in the world, work is massively overrated IMO.
    • JoeEngland
    • By JoeEngland 11th Jul 18, 6:59 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    JoeEngland
    The main reason for planning this far ahead is that there's plenty of preparation stuff we need to do in the next year or so, and it gives me something to look forward to. The downside is that the waiting is difficult. I'm not a particularly social person so I can happily live without that aspect of work, but I've been lucky at a few companies to have one or two colleagues I keep in contact with after moving on.
    Originally posted by JoeEngland
    Arghh, I heard a new phrase at work today: "we don't want to try and eat the whole elephant at once". I suppose this is a variant on "we don't want to try and boil the ocean", but hearing these daft management phrases reminded me of how much saner I'll feel when retired! :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,369Posts Today

6,725Users online

Martin's Twitter