Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DT2001
    • By DT2001 8th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 51Posts
    • 22Thanks
    DT2001
    GMP and deferred pension
    • 8th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    GMP and deferred pension 8th Jul 18 at 11:34 AM
    I am a member of The Barclays Bank 1964 Pension scheme. I took redundancy in Dec 1995 at the age of 35.

In June 2011, as I had asked for an up to date quotation, I was advised that the treatment of GMP element had changed. Originally (2008 valuation - £6.4k p.a.plus £3.2k GMP) the GMP element was increased by 7% p.a. and payable when I drew my pension. Now (2011) the GMP would be paid without revaluation until I was 65.

I decided to take my deferred pension in Nov 2011 as once in payment there could (I hope) be no other detrimental changes. My tax free lump sum was restricted to about 0.5% because of the ring fenced GMP element being a high proportion of the pension.

I have checked a number of threads and wanted to check my understanding of the situation.
    At 65 (7 years time) will the original GMP portion (£1339 - quote not split pre and post 1988) be 'worth' £9.5k?
    If my existing pension (£7559) is below that figure which is likely if inflation stays low will I get an increase to £9.5k?
    As my whole pension is then GMP does this affect any annual increases?
    At 66 and 2 months I reach SPA and am due to have my pension reduced by £666, will this happen as all my pension is GMP?

I am awaiting a reply from Tower Watson who administer the scheme however I might not be asking all the right questions! With your help I hope I can more fully understand what will happen with my pension and therefore allow me to have a good backup plan.
Page 8
    • MikeFloutier
    • By MikeFloutier 11th Sep 18, 10:22 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    MikeFloutier
    Now, now! I hope that you are not using Tony as a cat's paw!
    Originally posted by xylophone
    I am not ashamed...

• xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th Sep 18, 11:01 AM
    • 27,252 Posts
    • 16,307 Thanks
    xylophone
    Incidentally - (not Barclays this time..)

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5893220

I am a bit confused by this as I thought my gmp was increasing at 7.5% per annum, and the quoted figure is also less than what I thought the revalued excess would be.

I have phoned them, and they say they do not calculate gmp until retirement age of 65.

Question- at 60 do I just get the revalued excess, them at 65 get the revalued gmp as well?
    Another soul who'll be writing to the administrator

Gird up now your loins like a man; for I will demand of you, and answer you me.

• MikeFloutier
    • By MikeFloutier 11th Sep 18, 12:30 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    MikeFloutier
    Incidentally - (not Barclays this time..)

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5893220

Another soul who'll be writing to the administrator

Gird up now your loins like a man; for I will demand of you, and answer you me.

Originally posted by xylophone
    Sounds like a good Job for someone
    • DT2001
    • By DT2001 15th Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    DT2001
    WTW reply below and my full email to them which is below (I think exactly as post 127).
    I wonder if there are many in a similar position i.e. early retirement and long deferment to build up GMP bearing in mind Mike’s comments about getting his colleague the correct pension.

Thank you for your email below.

I can confirm that your understanding of how the pension payable at your GMP and state pension deduction age is calculated is correct. As previously advised we are unable to confirm the exact figures until nearer the time.

If you have any questions please contact us.

Kind regards

Frances Hutcheon
    Pensions Administrator

The Barclays Team
    Willis Towers Watson

I refer to our recent correspondence and in particular your email of 18th August enclosing the booklet ‘What happens to your pension when you leave Barclays’ . I would like to put into figures the information that you have provided. I have used the example on page 10 of the booklet that you sent as guidance.
    Can you confirm that the method is correct. If any part is wrong please provide me with an example appropriate to early retirement.

Pension at date of leaving membership of the scheme 31/12/1995
    Designated GMP portion £1339
    Non GMP portion £4661.32
    Total deferred pension £6000.32

Estimated pension at 1/11/2011
    Designated GMP portion £1339
    Non GMP portion (including annual increases since leaving active membership) £7396

Total deferred pension £8735

Reduced by an actuarial figure of 0.626 £5468

Estimated actuarially reduced value of Non GMP portion at 1/11/2011
    £7396 * 0.626 (figure from 2003 quote) £4629

Actual pension paid at ERA (1/11/2011) including an element of step up £6571
    less estimated pension just actuarially adjusted £5468
    Amount of adjusted non GMP increases step up £1103

Estimated total pension on day before 65th birthday (20/5/2025)
    This assumes total pension increases from £7559 (as of today) by 2.5% p.a. £8985

Estimated pension at GMP payment date (21/5/2025)
    GMP portion (£1339 revalued at 7% for each complete tax year since
    leaving active service) £9529
    Non GMP portion (see note 1 below) £4629
    estimated total pension in payment from age 65 from the scheme £14158

Estimated pension at SPA (66 and 2 months) = £14158 plus increase since GMP age by £218 (Non GMP portion increased by RPI say 2.5%,
    Pre 88 GMP (£4873.67) by 0% and post 88 GMP (£4655.33) by CPI, say 2.2%) less SPD £666 - £13710

Note 1
    Increases in pension from retirement date are offset against GMP revaluation therefore non GMP
    portion reverts to actuarially adjusted value at drawdown on 1/11/2011
    This is also known as a 'step-up' and in this example is £5173
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 15th Sep 18, 3:33 PM
    • 27,252 Posts
    • 16,307 Thanks
    xylophone
    Thank you for your email below.

I can confirm that your understanding of how the pension payable at your GMP and state pension deduction age is calculated is correct. As previously advised we are unable to confirm the exact figures until nearer the time.

If you have any questions please contact us.

Kind regards
    When I called, you answered me;
    you greatly emboldened me.

You can now rest in peace as it were..........
    • MikeFloutier
    • By MikeFloutier 15th Sep 18, 4:02 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    MikeFloutier
    Great news Tony, for you and all on ERD pensions at Barclays, i.e. no full franking.

I'll feedback how things go regarding their calculations for my GMP date step-up when known; should be around Christmas/New Year.
    • DT2001
    • By DT2001 24th Sep 18, 4:04 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    DT2001
    I had emailed TPAS (the same gentleman as earlier) to get their/his take on matters. He replied as below which is as WTW state. It is better than the worse case scenario detailed in OM explanations of various anti franking situations.
    Quite why WTW cannot provide an example in their booklet for early retirees and save lots of questions is beyond me!
    Now I'll sit back and wait, adjust my target pension pot as I'll have an extra £4.5k'ish at 65 which will increase by RPI, reduced by my SPA deduction at 66 and 2 months.
    I will then have a good idea of how the figures for my actual pension at ERD were calculated.

TPAS reply
    If early retirement is taken, if there is any escalation in payment on the excess pension between retirement and GMP age, the scheme is able to frank those increases against the GMP revaluation
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,507Posts Today

9,368Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin