Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MXW
    • By MXW 8th Jul 18, 8:41 AM
    • 514Posts
    • 229Thanks
    MXW
    Downloading maps to SD card to use in my car
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:41 AM
    Downloading maps to SD card to use in my car 8th Jul 18 at 8:41 AM
    Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a new car that doesn't have a sat nav, but does have an SD card.

The guy at the car sales that I was chatting to said it didn't matter that the car didn't have a sat nav, as you can buy an SD card for about 30 and download onto it.

Is this correct? If it is, how is it done?

Many thanks in advance.

Michelle
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Jul 18, 8:44 AM
    • 33,829 Posts
    • 39,965 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:44 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:44 AM
    What make model car

But I suspect not .....
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • MXW
    • By MXW 8th Jul 18, 8:49 AM
    • 514 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    MXW
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:49 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:49 AM
    What make model car

But I suspect not .....
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Hi, it's a Volkswagen Golf.
    • spaceboy
    • By spaceboy 8th Jul 18, 10:30 AM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    spaceboy
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:30 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:30 AM
    You maybe can but I'd try a VW forum. In any case I don't think it's worth the hassle, just use your phone. I have a SEAT and the satnav isn't great.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 8th Jul 18, 10:33 AM
    • 2,525 Posts
    • 2,168 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:33 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:33 AM
    I too have a SEAT which is the same satnav as VW. Not great as said above. You can update the satnav with an SD card if you wish for about the same price as you have mentioned but if you don't have a Satnav how are you going to use these maps? Google maps on the phone is better IMO.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 8th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    I too have a Seat with built in sat nav. It's "OK" as it's always there.

Once I bought a "Seat" updated map set on eBay, what arrived was a VW one and it wouldn't work in the Seat. I guess there is some strict security to try and stop 3rd party maps being used. So I doubt what you expect will somehow magically add a sat nav where one isn't included.

Regarding the expensive SD cards... a salesman said he had a drawer full of spare up to date cards, when I needed an update he said to just pop in for one! BTW, I've bought a lot of cars from him over the years.
    • missile
    • By missile 8th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    • 9,780 Posts
    • 4,918 Thanks
    missile
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    Typical salesman BS. He is an idiot or telling you porkies.

You can retrofit sat nav to any VAG. Depending on what MMI is fitted to your Golf you will most likely need to change the screen to enable 3G+.

I have factory fit sat. It is nice to have, but it is not worth the considerable cost. I would recommend you buy a stand alone Tom Tom or use a mobile phone.
    Last edited by missile; 08-07-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 8th Jul 18, 1:57 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:57 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 1:57 PM
    I'm in the process of buying a new car that doesn't have a sat nav, but does have an SD card.
    The guy at the car sales that I was chatting to said it didn't matter that the car didn't have a sat nav, as you can buy an SD card for about 30 and download onto it.
    Originally posted by MXW

You may be able to put maps on the SD card but if you don't have a sat nav they will not be any use.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 8th Jul 18, 5:46 PM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 3,281 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:46 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 5:46 PM
    You may be able to put maps on the SD card but if you don't have a sat nav they will not be any use.
    Originally posted by Tom99

Beat me to it!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Jul 18, 6:02 PM
    • 32,905 Posts
    • 20,725 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Just buy your own sat nav or use your phone, can take it with you when it comes to selling the car.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 9th Jul 18, 8:35 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    cranford
    If you can use a smartphone or even a tablet then take a look at the "Here we go" app.
    You can download maps before your journey and then use it without wifi/mobile data.
    But if you can use wifi/mobile data then take a look at the "Waze" app.
    Last edited by cranford; 09-07-2018 at 8:36 AM. Reason: typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

236Posts Today

2,700Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you to the team at the Westen eye hospital a&e. I scratched my eye ball in my sleep, then woke up with pain.? https://t.co/VJMwQfsRxv

• I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Follow Martin