Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 8th Jul 18, 6:46 AM
    • 7,339Posts
    • 10,748Thanks
    surfsister
    walk in sell shares with certificate??
    • 8th Jul 18, 6:46 AM
    walk in sell shares with certificate?? 8th Jul 18 at 6:46 AM
    May I ask a quick question as I am getting nowhere.

Just want to buy/sell shares using paper certificates going into an office/bank with no complicated accounts etc

I used to use Lloyds but they want me to open some complex account.

Any ideas where I can wander in with a certificate and sell some shares?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Jul 18, 7:07 AM
    • 33,846 Posts
    • 39,977 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:07 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 7:07 AM
    High street banks used to offer this but paper certificate dealing is being phased out

I've used

http://www.x-o.co.uk

To sell paper shares for 5.95 , high street banks was a minimum of 25.

Simple process , just registered and sent paperwork in the post
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Jul 18, 8:10 AM
    • 11,459 Posts
    • 13,224 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:10 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 8:10 AM
    Why is the account "complex"? I can see why you might not want to open an account if you just have some share certificates already and want to sell, but if you will be trading, eg sell and buy, , it's far easier to have an account, and also far cheaper and quicker.

You can also avoid a lot of tax issues by opening an S&S ISA in which you'd trade. Slight hassle to open but it's a one off unlike the hassle you'll have every time you buy and sell using paper.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 13th Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    • 7,339 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    most accounts seem to charge fees for the account and are online. I really want a simple walk in no account service. I used to use Lloyds but they don't do walk in anymore.

do you know of fee free account??
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 13th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 8,295 Posts
    • 15,179 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    You won't get a simple walk in service with no registration required because stockbroking (placing the trade for you into a live stock market) is a regulated business, with a different set of regulations to depositing or withdrawing cash from a bank account, so it doesn't make commercial sense for that service to be provided by bank cashiers.

And even if they did offer it, it wouldn't be fee free, because "what's in it for them". And even if a walk-in service was available at some bank other than your own bank, you can bet they wouldn't offer it to you if you weren't their existing banking customer, so you would have to open an unwanted bank account with all the 'complexity' and documentation that requires.

Your best bet for a one-off sale of certificated shares is probably x-o.co.uk as suggested to you last Sunday in post #2- the fees are less than it will cost them to establish a relationship with you and do the work of selling the shares and delivering you the proceeds, so I would be surprised if you could get it appreciably cheaper.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Jul 18, 6:30 PM
    • 33,846 Posts
    • 39,977 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:30 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:30 PM
    I've used x-o myself in the past with no problems
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 13th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    Vortigern
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    I also use XO. No fees for the account if you don't use their ISA.
    Just 5.95 to sell your shares.

You could use http://www.sellmysharecertificates.com/
    This is from the same company as XO. No account is required, but it costs a little more - 22.50

It claims to be simple. Perhaps there are fewer steps than with XO?
    • Ifts
    • By Ifts 14th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    Ifts
    • 14th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    do you know of fee free account??
    Originally posted by surfsister
    Can't help you with a suggestion for a walk in service to sell your shares but X-O.co.uk is fee free and easy to sign up to.

Here is a post I put up for another poster explaining the process to sell their certificated shares using X-O:

You could use someone like X-O.co.uk share dealing services (5.95 per trade) for a cheap method of selling the shares.

Open a Share Dealing account with X-O.co.uk (part of Jarvis Investment Management Ltd) - free to open and no annual account charges - then transfer your share certificates in to your account (to be safe send the shares in by registered post) and sell them for 5.95 per share holding.

How do I transfer in stock that I hold in the form of certificates?

http://www.x-o.co.uk/how_to_use.htm#5

What markets can I deal in?

http://www.x-o.co.uk/how_to_use.htm#11

And if you don't want to go down the route of transferring them into electronic form you could use:

http://www.sellmysharecertificates.com/

(which like X-O.co.uk is also part of Jarvis Investment Management Ltd) and sell at a fixed commission of 22.50 per holding.
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,263Posts Today

8,165Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin